Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

919 Evo. 'Ring Record now 5mins 19 secs

Just mind bending to watch.

It's not just the speed, it's the way the car loses speed in an instant as well.

:dont know:

Disco said:
911UK said:
the video is in

:eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!: :eh!:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I have to say it : to me it looks like he is being conservative. I am pretty confident that actually there is more time in that car with that driver :eek:

It is telling that they did a couple of laps, went in for a chat and then just whacked out a lap 5 seconds faster with that one. Honestly, I think that there is an element of "that is enough, it'll do for the PR and to scare off the minnows from having a crack at Stefan's time" about it. Today would actually be considered too warm to be considered optimal conditions for a turbo too...

Just mental, in the best possible way 8)

Having watched it closely, it's a very precise lap, hitting all of his marks (although may have missed his exit point at the mini carousel but that's just nit picking) with the perfect racing line barely touching any kerbs

noting that it ran (expected) on top side of the nurburgring carousel which must be due to it's low ground clearance which lost it some time

we then have to mention the boost or at times a lack of throughout the lap, which really had an impact over the back straight (Kesslchen), where the 919 was stuck at 315kph before the boost came back and launched it up to 340kph, where 60% of the boost is energy out of the front brakes, which is why there wasn't that much available

whereas there was quantity of boost saved up for the main straight to push to 369kph / 220 mph where Timo Bernhard was flat full power for 25 seconds, whilst the car was bouncing all over the place !

Some of the corning are mind blowing, the flugplatz for example, was that even a corner! after a light dab in the brakes down to 273kph he was off again, then schwedenkreuz at 293kph with 341kph in between! for an experienced Ringer, that's a complete warp speed moment !

Given time I think this shows that a time closer 5 minute lap could be possible as there is more time to extract out of the 919Evo but then again how much further should this demonstration car push (i.e. getting more boost) before the risks out weight the reward.

With this 849kg 919 Evo with 1,160hp
- 720hp from it's 2.0 V4 engine
- 440hp from the ERS motors (energy recovery system) = front brakes (60%) and exhaust gas energy (40%).

Unless Porsche go again, not sure who would even attempt this record outside of F1

That is video footage I will watch time and time again ........... it's the third today already ....... :)

I've got the 919 in iRacing (quite a realistic simulator that I use with Oculus Rift VR) and I can tell you that

a) it is absolutely impossible to see an apex on the left; your vision is incredibly restricted by those enormous front wings anyway, but it's particularly bad on the left. You are literally driving on memory.

b) at a circuit I know well (Spa), the brakes are the thing that gets you every time. I am doing 310kph at the end of Kemmel and I'm braking past the 100M board and still thinking "I could be later on the brakes".

c) the faster you go, the more stable it is; at Blanchimont 2 I am flat in 6th (still accelerating!) at 270 kph and thinking of ways to pile on more speed earlier. Anyone who has driven Spa for real will know what an intimidating corner that is when you really commit to it but in the 919 it's just a fast kink.

The whole thing is "other worldly" & makes the Radical SR8 I also have in iRacing look completely pedestrian.

A truly incredible machine that needs a superhuman driver to get the best from it.

Yeah it's one of the first things I thought about on waking up today.

Appreciate the detailed evaluation from the BossMan.

I did wonder why he seemed to be sitting on the limiter at the back straight, but then pushed up that bit higher at the finale.

My colleagues and my good lady, showed zero interest, not one iota.

The return of Marty Wild said:
My colleagues and my good lady, showed zero interest, not one iota.

You are dead right hence I am bumping this up again in this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back