Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Headlight Burn

bpj

I understand the 996.1 cars had issues with the headlight lenses getting burned and turning brown. This is caused by putting high output bulbs in the housing (above the standard 55W rating).

IMG_15911300375123.jpg

Does this affect the 996.2 models? The internals of the headlamp are very different, with a single projector ball and no plastic in front of the bulb.

645303d1341274092-headlight-lens-turned-yellow-dsc_0788.jpg

Pictured above is a litronic headlamp. The internals of halogen headlamps are exactly the same, just without the washer jets.

So, is it safe to put high output bulbs, such as Osram Nightbreakers, on the 996.2?

I've used Philips Racing Vision without problem on a facelift car.

I would have thought that any 55W bulbs should be ok, in fact higher light output probably implies more energy being converted to light and hence less heat(??) I suppose the higher output could be associated with a higher temperature giving a hotspot that burns.

Are the browning issues caused by higher wattage bulbs?

I think that it is only the higher wattage bulbs that cause a problem , they are normally marked for off road use only or Rally spec, most better 55W bulbs simply have a different gass in them and better construction as far as I am aware.
This will potentaially affect any plastic lensed light.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back