Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 2014 981 Boxster GTS

fildyke said:
I trust you enjoyed the drive down as much as we did.

The route Napoleon from grenoble to grasse were some of the best and most scenic roads I've ever driven.

Absolutely loved it :thumbs:

Did you get a chance to drive the D996 on the way home?

Anyhow, it was a great demonstration of how well set up the Boxster suspension is as the tarmac twists and dips with interesting camber changes (both good and bad) - the car though remained composed yet compliant and never allowed a harsh rut to jolt through to the cabin. The new 718 has similarly good suspension, so I think this is just a 981/982 thing and not special to the GTS. It does amaze me that a soft top on 20" wheels with sporty suspension can have such terrific ride quality. Has to be in part down to the stiff body shell.

........ and the 987 Boxster is a pretty decent bit of kit as well ....... although I love the Route Napolian and the D996 the roads in the Spanish Pyrenees are even better ....... no word of a lie ....... :)

You are right Andy. Superb ride quality and handling is what Boxsters do👍. Plus lots of space in the boot for hairdryers etc without compromising Luggage space 👍👍

🤪

......... no hairdressing products are left in the car overnight ...... :floor:

Superb continuation of the thread Jon :thumb:
We've just come back from a Road Trip to The Nurburgring.
The car performed absolutely perfectly and the sheer power of it on that track was sublime.
Just thinking about next years RT........
Santander Spain
Switzerland
The Ring.....
:thumb:

p.s. Jon, are you at Cholmondeley Castle next week?

Hi, good to hear that you are enjoying the car :thumb:

I've got no chance next weekend, teepee tent with 23 kids in the back garden on a sleep over has seen off any car related plans :roll:

Just a quick update.....

What a summer to own a convertible 8)

I have been driving the BGTS almost exclusively in this glorious weather. It is just soooo much fun and continues to bring a smile to my face.

I went out for a blast with a good mate yesturday, we both took convertibles, my BGTS, his california. When we stopped for something to eat his first words where "god that sounds good". He is a real Ferrari fanatic, owning everything including a La Ferrari at one time or another. Despite this I had no hesitation in stating to him that it is one of the best sounding cars ever. He did not disagree and kept on going on about how gorgeous it sounded on the road.

Then to top it off, on the way home a sports bike pulled up alongside me at some traffic lights, the guy looked down at me, pulled his visor up and simply said "great sounding car mate".

I know I keep going on about it but the BGTS is fast becoming my favourite car ever (no doubt helped by the summer lol).

:thumbs:

I'm gonna have a gloat too - Ive only been in mine for 2 weeks and apart from a couple of dodgy bad London traffic days. Its been pretty nice driving top down.

Just by chance Ive had a few longer distance job visits and although i should have done a car swap with Mrs Wilperts old RR sport, i still ended up getting in the Boxster and using that.

2 weeks and over 1200 miles covered, including 180 today which was mainly motorway and a roads.

i was chuffed and shocked by the fuel consumption too, averaged 36.9 mpg on the day, with average speed on 41 mph.

I keep telling myself that i need to rein it in and use the old car instead but as soon as that sun comes out my mind goes and the roof comes down.

:D

Its official, SWMBO is convinced I am crazy........

Ive not been able to wash the boxster due to the sun :grin: so I had it mind to get up early today (Saturday) to wash and clay the car before the sun got around to the drive (ie by 8am). The problem was an impromtu barbecue last night which turned into an impromptu 'broken hearts club" party for a number of friends who where having relationship problems. Discussions took place in the garden until well past 3am and much alcohol was consumed........

Although I cannot remember setting it the alarm woke me up at 7am.......yep I was still drunk and SWMBO was not impressed. I sprang out of bed (well not quite) and decided to wash and clay the car :floor: ........

I had to keep the noise down as there where 3 people still asleep in the garden :eek: ........

I preceded with my first ever drunken car wash :thumb:

SWMBO surfaced at 10am with other impromptu 'guests" by which time I had fallen back to sleep in the garden aparently with a smile on my face....

But the car is clean :thumb:

Zingari, you'd better be quick, 981 GTS prices are only going to go up after the latest 718 GTS reviews:

Evo: http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/porsch...gts-review-as-expected-the-gts-is-the-pick-of

'There's no denying it, the noise that fills the GTS's cabin from its turbo four-cylinder is dreadful. Thrummy and breathy, there's very little to love as it idles away. A curious blip of the throttle to see if the note develops into anything more enticing produces more of the same tuneless drivel. And that's not just comparing the noise to the old GTS's sharp and musical flat-six – the depth and sophistication to that engine's sound, the way it sang through an entire scale of notes as the revs rose, means the two are simply beyond comparison"........."the 718 version of the GTS doesn't really achieve anything more than the Cayman GTS it replaces. What with its more desirable engine, it's the previous model that feels more exotic and like a much higher quality product."

And shockingly Top Gears long term fleet base 718 they reckon is better than the 718 S/GTS because of the engine: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-garage/gallery-life-porsches-cheapest-car-718-cayman

'Mind, it only took a couple of weeks behind the wheel of the Cayman to appreciate that, engine aside, it's still every bit as wonderful as it's always been. After six months, I was fairly besotted. I'd still go and buy a last-of-the-line, six-cylinder Cayman GTS if it were my own money. But in base spec, the 718 really isn't as affected by its downsizing as you might fear. The Cayman remains the best everyday sports car on sale."..... And sadly 'we do need to talk about fuel economy, because it's a big issue when a sports car has ditched its sonorous old six-cylinder nat-asp engine for a downsized four-cylinder turbo. It's a story of disappointment, really; mixed driving in the old Cayman would return about 28mpg, while ours managed 30.5mpg in its six months and 12,000 or so miles with us. Not a good enough trade for the lost character, if we're honest." Why why why did they do it, to meet some Chinese tax system !

But ........obviously Abraham Lincoln was wrong, you can fool some of the (718) people all of the time lol

Anyone contemplating a 718, please please please try a 981 as well
:thumb:

Smoke and mirrors I reckon. I'm waiting for 981 prices to dip below 25 bags then I might consider one as a daily - but the CooperS (even drinking the devil's brew) would be hard to let go :grin:

Plus I've changed my mind on PDK. Now the 4C is a 'semi-auto' I'd have to buy a manual as I couldn't live without a traditional box as well :roll: That does mean I'll get a cheaper car 8)

+1 for the summer although the rain this weekend has done the greens some good! :lol:
Weather is meant to be better next week so its roof down and 981 to work every day! :grin:
I still get people commenting on the car and how beautiful it is. I am pedantic over it and it is always clean and very well presented :roll:
:thumbs:

Me too!

Got the new car home yesterday and it pi$$ed down all day today!

I was out in Manchester on Saturday for a mates 50th and stay over at his. Rain was hit and miss on Saturday with a forecast for heavy rain all day on Sunday. Normally I would take my 'daily" without a second thought but I took the boxster. It is literally the first time I have really driven it with the roof up any distance in 18 months !

Sure enough on the Sunday lunchtime drive back it was torrential rain. I took the back roads :grin:

I love driving in the wet, it is just more fun on quite roads.......

The drive was more magnificent than ever, the sound of that engine combined with the lack of traction and squirming rear end was just endless fun. To those who go on about the steering on a 981 :hand: , get those rear wheels loose, the power down and the car just handles so predictably through the twisties in the wet. There is simply no way I would have had more fun in any other road car on those roads in those conditions. Just enough power to scare you and keep you on your toes and the predicatablity only a NA engine can offer, a 718 would have been a nightmare to drive that fast and I would simply have had to leave a much greater margin for error.

The sound of that engine through the countryside is just unworldly and every time it just reminds me of the Harry Catchpole review in Majorca... always worth a link and would you believe unless you are listening on a decent speaker system the sound just does not do the car justice ...........

It was a thrilling drive home and the best of it is, the car is sat on the drive almost spotless, with the upcoming hose pipe ban its the best way to wash the car :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back