Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear shock absorber 1992-on MY confusion, help please?

brucer

Hello,
Can anyone tell me for sure whether the shocks are different on '92 onward models and if so part number?

The reason I ask is I've searched around and see conflicting info. One Forum references to a change at this point, some suppliers show different upgrade kits pre and post '92, some list the same OEM part no 96433305105 for '89 through '93, I have a Katalog for 1994 that says it's this part no for all '94 model variants.

Mine is '92MY registered '93 C2 Coupe Manual. I've had the wheel off and the final digits on near side rear aren't easily visible because they're engine side and are corroded so difficult to make out/read (leaking shock, need to replace). I'd prefer to have a replacement to hand to do the job in one go, not take it off and then have to go find one, especially if I were to find it is not the aforementioned part no and rarer than stuff that comes out of the rear of a rocking horse, or Bilstein upgrade etc etc required, both sides, springs, f/r, I see arms and legs growing everywhere ;-)

TIA

Bruce

Hi yes the rear shocks changed I think in 1991, my car is a 91 but I have the earlier shocks as my car must have been built in 1990.

I can't help you with part numbers but would imagine yours has the later shocks being a 92 unless it spent 18 months in a compound before being sold (not entirely impossible)
Your chassis number will confirm. I don't have my Bentley book to hand which explains how to check the chassis number, no doubt someone else will come along who can tell you.
The design change was to make the through bolt at the top shorter in order to accommodate the cabriolet when it came out (I think).
You can tell which you need by looking at the threaded part on the top of the shocks.
Google it there are threads on forums on how to check.
It'll be obvious then you look at the shock bolts when you know what you're looking for.
Regards
Logan

Sorry just noticed you said it's an MY 92 so you will have the later rear shocks identifiable by looking at the top of the shocks in front of engine not by looking behind the wheel.

Sorry just noticed you said it's an MY 92 so you will have the later rear shocks.

AVI_8 thanks for confirming there are 2 types, that is good to have it confirmed.
From your explanation of why they were changed post '92 to accommodate the hood on the Cab, does that imply you only NEED the later ones if you need to accommodate the hood i.e. have a Cabriolet. Otherwise either will fit/work in post '92 as long as not a Cab? That would be helpful to know. It would make sense, because 964 333 05105 would then be OK for 1989-1993 EXCEPT '92-on Cab.
Jasmine Porschalink have listed:
"Porsche Part Number: 964.333.051.05

Will Fit The Following Models:

Porsche 964 Carrera 2/4 (1989-1994)"' I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about the issue...

It still leaves me with the following problems I hope someone can assist with further:
- the only Porsche part number I can find against a 964 rear shock is the one I posted, and that is almost certainly for the pre '92 model. Accordingly how do I find the part number for mine, in order to try to find one? (if I search for 964 rear shock either there is no year distinction in the description or it is the part number I've quoted which we know is most likely not mine but don't know what mine is to search for it specifically)

- the only supplier that makes the age distinction only has the pre '92 Boge/Sachs, nothing Boge/Sachs listed for post '92. Their offering with age distinction is only for Bilsteins, which I'm not wishing to replace everything

Any input gratefully received.....

OK a step forward. When I referred to looking behind the wheel I was referring to reading the p/n.
It looked more like 057 than 051 and I couldn't see the final 2 digits.
It seems there is a 964.333.057.00 which must be what mine has as '92-on MY (there's also a 965.333.057.00 which is Turbo).
Question still good to get an answer to, is will a pre- '92 964.333.051.05 be OK in a '92-on as long as not Cab? because of availability. I can find 964.333.051.05, but so far only found 964.333.057.00 in the US

TIA

I'm fairly sure you'll need the newer part.
Also if it was me I'd go for aftermarket, have you looked at Bilstein or KW, technology has moved on a lot since the 90's, if your rear shocks are knackered there's a good chance the fronts are not far behind.
A popular upgrade is KW coil overs, KW1's have adjustable height and KW 3's have adjustable height and bump/rebound for the shocks, they both also come with new springs, not cheap but head and shoulders better than the standard setup.

I'm fairly sure you'll need the newer part.
Also if it was me I'd go for aftermarket, have you looked at Bilstein or KW, technology has moved on a lot since the 90's, if your rear shocks are knackered there's a good chance the fronts are not far behind.
A popular upgrade is KW coil overs, KW1's have adjustable height and KW 3's have adjustable height and bump/rebound for the shocks, they both also come with new springs, not cheap but head and shoulders better than the standard setup.

There are two part numbers listed, 964 333 051 05 and 964 333 057 00. Im unsure what the difference is but Porsche will tell you. I dont think the shocks are different, only the top mounts changed in post 91 cars. There are much better options available today than the originals, Bilstein, Ohlins, KW etc all make shocks for the 964.

Thanks to both for your assistance.
Curiouser and curiouser. I had another look at the E-964 PET Katalog and it is dated as being issued in 2010, and very clearly lists the 057 00 as being for all TURBO-LOOK models, and 051.05 for all non-Turbo Look. Mine isn't turbo-look, but I'm fairly confident I can see 964.333.057 not .051. Jeez. Should I just call Porsche? Do they have a 'classic tech support/help'?

Thanks for the comments on after-markets. At the moment my preference is just to fix the problem of a leaking damper as easily, cheaply (used off Fleabay) and with as little brain strain as possible . Last of those is now out of the window. At some point the car needs to go in for some restoration work, engine out etc which would be the preferred time to replace all round.

But that's a bigger longer project that needs planning. I only do a couple of thousand miles a year in it, not interested in upgrading suspension for performance etc per se although of course if replacing all round for restoration makes sense to benefit from advances in technology. I've had the car 25 yrs and will get it properly restored to pass on to my daughter, but she's not quite old enough to drive yet let alone insure so there's no rush!

Thanks. Still scratching my head

The 057 is the M030 option, also fitted to the RS and Turbo cars. If your car wasn't built with that option code then the damper you need is 051.

Hello,
Thank you so much for the nod in the M030 direction (never heard of it), I'm sure that will be the un-locking of this. Man alive, when legend Adrian at Rennlist wot wrote the 964 bible says 'this is a very confusing subject' I know I'm in trouble. My maintenance book doesn't say M030 but won't necessarily, some say a sticker under the hood, but not necessarily, but seems the only sure-fire is to eyeball the p/n on the shock itself.

I'm now more convinced that it is a '7' I can see, 057 not 051, so I'll take the other wheel off and see if more is visible before resorting to taking the shock off to identify it.

IF it is M030 i.e. 964.333.057.00 then it seems trickier because rarer. From what I've deduced so far, there are US and ROW versions of this part due to different ride heights so I have to use ROW. As far as I deduce so far, my springs are likely to be different in height or rate or both to those used with the 964.333.051.05, so I can't or shouldn't simply replace both my 057s with 051s?

As you clearly have some knowledge of the subject, and it is complex, if I have 057s the simplest solution is to find a replacement 057 ROW part, but if I can't find, could you comment on my options? I'd heard it's not just the shocks that are different, but the mounts also. Could I, for example, swap out the two M030 spring/shock assemblies, mounts and all, with 051.05 complete assemblies?

Off I go, wheel wrench in hand.

Thank you for your input

Look at the build sticker in the maintenance book or under the hood. It will list the options your car was built with. If one of them is 030 then the car was built with the sport chassis (057 dampers).
Springs will be 964 333 531 xx. Your OPC will be able to say which revision as both 03 and 04 are listed and I dont believe it matters if the dampers are standard or sport spec, the springs are the same. You need a like for like replacement for both springs and dampers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back