Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disk corrosion

Cannop

Monza
My 997.1 went in for it's MOT last week and disk corrosion was mentioned as an advisory, although stating "the efficiency of the brakes isn't compromised".

I'd bought a set of Brembo disks, pads and all the sensors, clips and anti-squeals a month or two ago when they were on offer, so at the weekend I tackled the job.

I was amazed at the backs of the front disks, the front face was a little worm but the backs look like a relief map of the Himalayas!

img_6269a.jpg

Fortunately apart from a seized brake pad retaining pin on the nearside that needed persuading out with a sledgehammer it all went smoothly.

img_6273.jpg

img_6260.jpg

Im afraid thats par for the cource with Porsche discs .. always the inner face that corrodes and something ive seen countless times.

Not an MOT failure though even though some surface material is missing .

In the past, myself & another person I know of have been "stung" by an OPC come warranty renewal time over this same issue. At 4 years old my then November 2004 registered 997.1 (owned from new with no more than 12k on the clock) went in for its first major service & check for warranty renewal. Not having a garage the car was out in all weathers. I was told that the inside of both front discs were "corroded" & while it past the MOT, before the warranty could be renewed they must be replaced. Oh yes the pads must also be renewed when disc were changed. I think the bill with major service, plugs, brake fluid change, discs & pads came to over £1500. Well known Porsche issue due to materials used (you wont get it on other performance marques) but owner is penalised.

Thats pretty naughty of the OPC to be honest , brakes are not covered and unless there is an efficency problem and as most OPCs dont have a rolling road to even check that then it should have passed .. an advise is all thats needed .

They tested it as they would a car for sale .. its not to the same extremes for a warrenty renewal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back