Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Interior Temp Sensor Repair

stuarts

The only fault picked up (which I knew about anyway), whe Autofarm serviced my car last week, was a malfunctioning interior temp sensor - reading too hot, so cabin blower always running cooler than should be.
I did see that someone had managed to remove and repair/replace the sponsor.
Could someone pint me in the right direction to who could help/advise?

Cheers

I'm interested to hear about this since when I set my internal temp at 22 deg C and its cooler outside, it doesn't particularly blow warm air until I turn it up to 26C or more......could this be the same sensor problem?
And if so is it easily fixed? :?:

Yep, sounds like the same symptoms, put the heater on high and it will blow hot air.
I hope it's a relatively easy fix, no dash out job!

ill start by saying im not sure on this , cant remember the last time i looked at a fault like this but ill say what i can ..

i thought the sensor was in the heater control panel and behind the grills there , there should be a fan behind it to draw air over it which can stop working i guess .. they do on a 996 anyways .

design 911 lists it as this part but in a different place ..

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...sche-Boxster---Cayman---996---997-1H0907543A/

i think i would ( in your shoes ) remove the heater panel and have a look .. are the sensors similar .. its yours full of dust or is the fan not working .

Untill i get one in to have a play with then theres little i can say for certain im afraid.

It's definitely that, Autofarm checked all flaps and fans are working.

stuarts

Did you get this part changed? was it an easy job....e.g. could the interior centre grill be taken out? It would be nice to know f I need to do mine , thanks.

John

If I remember right one of my other cars had a similar issue and when they looked at the temp sensor it was chocked with fluff and crud that it had drawn in which obviously acts as a bit of a blanket so the sensor thinks it's warmer than it is. If it's any consolation my Gen 2 is exactly the same, set it at 22/23 to get what I normally get in another car at 19, if the sensor is part of the heating control unit then it should be just a case of removing it and in the first instance seeing if it can be cleaned of it's fluff.
After that I think it would have to be removed and sent off to someone for repair (winter lay up job), if it's a gen 1 you could get new heater controls if the others are worn.
On the Gen 1 it's the little grill between your two sets of buttons.

Thanks guys,

No, not done anything yet, off to classic Le Mans and the first couple of stages of the TdF next week, it can wait as I don't think I'll be needing any heat!
Thanks for the thought about the dust & crap around the sensor, when I get back, I'm going to give that a go.

I'll report back then

stuarts said:
Thanks guys,

No, not done anything yet, off to classic Le Mans and the first couple of stages of the TdF next week, it can wait as I don't think I'll be needing any heat!
Thanks for the thought about the dust & crap around the sensor, when I get back, I'm going to give that a go.

I'll report back then

Did you ever get around to fixing this? Mine has started doing it.

The position of the interior temp sensor is in the images bellow .. ignore the seat heating only wording .

You would need a tester connected to look at the actual values for all the sensors before just condemning this one as it might not be the fault .

Either remove and a clean or try blowing through it .. you never know .. it might be filled with dust .

Attachments

• position_1_102.jpg
    position_1_102.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 3,255
  • sensor_1_707.jpg
    sensor_1_707.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 3,255
If your scan tool is saying interior temp sensor then on the image above thats position D.

If its saying outlet temp sensor then that's in a pipe in the footwell .

Sensor reading that high will cause issues and do as you describe .

Try blowing through that vent hole .

Worth a try cheers dude.

try sucking using a vacuum cleaner hose, blowing is fine but there is nowhere for it to go except into the mechanism/centre console.Car off though as you will be reversing the micro fan with the air flow and you don't want them fighting each other :eek:

took the unit apart and it seems the temp sensor is defective. The fan is working but the temp reads 28-29deg at all times. If I breather on it I can pop it to 30 but it never goes under 28 even when directing the vent air (cold AF) into the sensor housing. Cleaned some lint off the sensor but made no odds.

new climate module it is then :(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back