Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Wheel speed sensor is a doddle to get out. Just chain drill the outer plastic housing of it out with a small drill (3mm or so), the magnet then falls out and the remains of the plastic just flakes up and pulls out. The aluminium aperture it fits in then needs a good clean out with a dremel or similar as the ally is like chalk.

I may have missed MC but I presume the front diff. is going back on? Have you considered replacing or testing the VC?

The front diff is staying off as I am converting to 2WD, using C2 front hubs.

MC

:thumb:

This approach of using a C4 rather than C2 as the basis of a driver's car type of project is what I wish I had done. I can feel my C2's body flexing and it's clearly not rigid enough to let the GT3 suspension work to its full potential. It's very likely that once my kids are too large to go in the back, I'll be installing a cage to stiffen the whole thing up. Some people put strut braces on the front and ecevn the back, but I'm not convinced they do all that much. I believe the lack of rigidity is coming from the passenger compartment rather than the areas the suspension mounts to.

Perhaps solid subframe mounts would help? I'd be interested on MC's feedback on his, as potential NVH compromises are what is currently holding me back from this upgrade.

I wouldn't expect the solid mounts to stiffen the chassis particularly, but I suppose it all helps. I will be installing a safety devices cage which I expect to have more impact. I don't know the relative stiffness figures for the C2/C4 chassis, but I guess Porsche wouldn't have used it for the GT3 if there wasn't a significant advantage.

MC

Martin996RSR said:
This approach of using a C4 rather than C2 as the basis of a driver's car type of project is what I wish I had done. I can feel my C2's body flexing and it's clearly not rigid enough to let the GT3 suspension work to its full potential. It's very likely that once my kids are too large to go in the back, I'll be installing a cage to stiffen the whole thing up. Some people put strut braces on the front and ecevn the back, but I'm not convinced they do all that much. I believe the lack of rigidity is coming from the passenger compartment rather than the areas the suspension mounts to.

Perhaps solid subframe mounts would help? I'd be interested on MC's feedback on his, as potential NVH compromises are what is currently holding me back from this upgrade.

The later face lift car has a 25% stiffer shell too, maybe a face lift C4 is the best base for a track car.

The three nuts on each side were undone to remove the rear suspension struts.

Two long bolts removed for the rear bumper

Then moving on to the exhaust, the joints are somewhat past it, both back boxes need to come off to be replaced and to make cleaning up around the inner arches a bit easier.

Both front seats removed. I might well take the carpet out as well but a little undecided on that at the moment, I might just see how well it cleans up and whether or not it needs to be removed to fit the cage.

MC

Lets hope you remember where everything goes back :grin:
Stirling work there Martin. I see the lift has been a good investment :thumb:

Chief said:
Lets hope you remember where everything goes back :grin:
Stirling work there Martin. I see the lift has been a good investment :thumb:

Without the lift I wouldn't even attempt half of the stuff that I do, it is fantastic. I never realised just how useful it would be when we bought it.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I wouldn't expect the solid mounts to stiffen the chassis particularly, but I suppose it all helps. I will be installing a safety devices cage which I expect to have more impact. I don't know the relative stiffness figures for the C2/C4 chassis, but I guess Porsche wouldn't have used it for the GT3 if there wasn't a significant advantage.

MC

The difference between the C2 & C4/GT3 chassis is all from the front firewall forward, fundamentally where the diff sits.

As mentioned before, I plan on changing the brake on my car, I picked up the modified brakes yesterday. They aren't quite 100% so I won't be posting all of the details, but here is a taster.

Original brakes on the C4 upright,

New brakes on a C2 upright

They fill the wheel much better than before, they will probably require a 5mm spacer to give a little bit of clearance between the caliper and the back of the wheel.
Before being fitted they will be cleaned and painted.

MC

Full details on the brakes please.

Looks like a Brembo 18z caliper, who did the machining? And will they do some for me :mrgreen:

Are you moving the old front calipers to the rear?

Are you planning on running standard 350/330mm discs?

Are you doing what PPBB did? M/C upgrade and rear calipers/discs?

Be interesting to see how a pleb like me could achieve a similar upgrade without access to CAD design and CNC mills etc.

They are 350mm 997 GT3 disks, the calipers are machined and brackets are required, the same as PPBB did. Cayenne turbo 18z calipers.

I won't be running the front calipers on the rear. IMO this is a terrible idea and will massively upset the brake balance due to the front calipers having much bigger pistons in them than the rears. I am aiming to run Cayenne turbo rear calipers on the back, piston sizes are the same as for the 996 C2 but the calipers are wider for the 32mm rather than 28mm width disks. If this doesn't work I will run either standard rear disks or look at other options for calipers which will fit the 350mm disks, pretty much all Porsche rear calipers run the same 28mm and 30mm pistons.

I'll do a post with my working for the piston areas and brake balance soon. With 350mm disks front and rear it will be very slightly more to the front, with the front calipers on the back it would be massively more rear biased.

Once all details are sorted you will be able to get these ordered as the programming for them is now all done, further ones should be easy to produce.

I will be running with the 27mm master cylinder.

MC

Thanks for the info. - I will be watching this with interest.

I currently run the standard C2 calipers and m/c but with larger floating discs, the balance is good and not something I want to upset. - I have considered the GT3 master cylinder, which by all accounts reduces pedal travel which appeals but haven't gotten around to it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back