Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997 + Ohlins Review.

Hi Shah,

my à–hlins is waiting to be installed. Nice writeup at the right time.

Do you have pictures of the fully assembled struts? I'm not fully sure, which parts to keep at the rear axle. Mounting instructions are not 100% accurate. e.g. bearing is not shown at front axle. Therefore a picture would be helpfull.

Rear top mounts are very expensive and I didn't find an aftermarket source yet. Why did you change them? Worn out?

Front top mounts and bearings are available aftermarket and cheap. So will be replaced.

Control arms and drop links: Which manufacturer did you choose? I'm thinking about Meyle.

All the other arms and stabilizer bushes didn't need replacement?

Thomas

Hey,

So a bit of an update,

whats missing? ..... The wheels I hear you say? ... well yes quite.

So after reading up about specs and and weight on what felt like a million different sets of wheels.

I decided to settle on a happy medium price wise and purchase these lightweight wheels.

Porsche-911-997-S-GT3-RS-Optik-by-Ingo-Noak-Tuning-2.jpg

They are made in Germany by an OEM manufacturerer and weigh just over 9 kilos for front and just over 10 kilos for the rears. These will be paired with PS2's 245 35 and 305 30's.

Another plus is, to me they look something close to a Porsche design so will not look too out of place, another example here in a different finish.

80-motec_nitro_porsche_02_5722f88b3323ed2abe580179fdf55dc5753af77c.jpg

80-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408683776_233523_b1e1d50b3ec43c90a63d62c8608d98475b317cdb.jpg

Any advice on fitting the Aero kit?

I am thinking to use the existing hardware. Fan, loom and peripherals etc...

RXP. said:
Any advice on fitting the Aero kit?

I am thinking to use the existing hardware. Fan, loom and peripherals etc...

loom and bits should be ok but check the mounting holes for the fan my stock fan had 3 mounting holes and an attached light , the aero used an oe fan that had 4 mounting holes and no light as the light was now up by the lock on the lid , fan was about £80 . but have a look see if you have a space for an engine bay light on the lid and how many fan fixing holes this will denote whether you can use the stock fan or need the other OE type. :thumb: :thumb:

So 2 just over 2 years on I wasn't sure I would still have this car but its very much holding a special place in heart.

I thought I would update for anyone that is thinking about upgrading the OEM PCM 2.1 unit in their 997.1.

I had bought the MR 12 VOLT (Lapower) Bluetooth unit a good 7 months ago but completely forgot about fitting it. With the spare time I have now I fitted this in yesterday.
Install is super easy, Remove head unit loop in the Bluetooth module via fibre optic and tap for power from the head unit cables.
or so I thought.... after removing the unit it became quite apparent that someone had been there before me. After chasing some cables around the inside of the car and the frunk I finally found a non Bluetooth dension unit neatly fitted behind the glove box. ended up using the existing cables and fibre optic connection and jobs a goodun.

So how is it? Well in a word superb. Is it better than a new touch screen alpine double din? its a different proposition. If you want android auto and apple car play and up to date tech then that's the way to go.

If however, like me you love the old school look but just want to be able to stream your music and make calls then this is a great option. signal is clear and rich and instant. I mean I get in the car turn the key 2 clicks to wait for oil to measure and my music is already streaming from where I last left it.
in a word fantastic.

Suspension and handling

This is an area which has had some further refining in addition to the work which was done at he beginning of this thread. The ohlins continue to impress me with the way they deal with almost anything on the road The car is still around 10mm lower than a GT3 and the front splitter does scrap on some inclines like driveways or awkward petrol stations however not on speed bumps, which you can quite easily hit at a very reasonable speed and let the Ohlins DFV do its work.

I did however fit some new lighter wheels saving a few kilos per corner and paired them with MPSS however I have since swapped these out for the much softer and comfortable new ContiSC6 245/305 which are excellent. They are far more comfortable having a softer sidewall yet grip is better than on the MPSS. However I have not tried the MP4S so cant comment on those.

The Sport steering wheel has been swapped out for the MOMO cup wheel. The wheel is much smaller in diameter and offers a lot more feedback. You can really feel confident as the car is constantly communicating what is happening underneath you. Dare I say it go kart like? yep I am gonna say it.

A Quick clean and some pics of how she sits as of today:

Regards
Shah

thumbnail-PSX-20200408-213545.jpg

PSX-20200408-213126.jpg

PSX-20190101-082234-zpssdbcivqe.jpg

Love how you have made that car your own. Looks a million dollars. Bet she goes even better. 997 respond so well to a few mods and bit of tinkering to tailor to your own taste. Superb and car really looks like it has the x factor with aero kit :thumbs:

IMI A said:
Love how you have made that car your own. Looks a million dollars. Bet she goes even better. 997 respond so well to a few mods and bit of tinkering to tailor to your own taste. Superb and car really looks like it has the x factor with aero kit :thumbs:

Thanks bud, it's not that quick, it makes up for it by being very fun to drive. Quite some turbo you get there. It's lovely! did I read correctly you cracked 220? insane.

I'm running à–hlins on the other car, and the body control is truly excellent, noticeably better than the BCs, D2s, etc on my buddies cars. I'd certainly run them on the 997 were it not for the PASM + TPC Racing DSC box.

I wanted to ask how you got to those camber settings? My car is maxed out at the front at -1.2 degrees. What am I missing?

MaxA said:
I'm running à–hlins on the other car, and the body control is truly excellent, noticeably better than the BCs, D2s, etc on my buddies cars. I'd certainly run them on the 997 were it not for the PASM + TPC Racing DSC box.

I wanted to ask how you got to those camber settings? My car is maxed out at the front at -1.2 degrees. What am I missing?

Hey max PASM + DSC is a great set up.

The Ohlins install was over 2 years ago, IIRC I ordered new oem top mounts and built up the suspension, then fitted them up and set the ride height and then maxed the camber out as much as possible during install and then let the geo guys fine tune it . (on their system under which car to choose i asked them to choose the 997 sport classic geo settings as it was a sensible comprise)

I will try and find a print out of the last geo.

RXP. said:
IMI A said:

Thanks bud, it's not that quick, it makes up for it by being very fun to drive. Quite some turbo you get there. It's lovely! did I read correctly you cracked 220? insane.

If you're ever around London or Herts post lockdown restrictions maybe perhaps being relaxed a bit let me know via PM you're welcome to have a spin and find out for yourself :devil:

Was very close to factory ordering a C2S instead of turbo back in 2007. I really like them. They'll be the next 964 C2 IMO in a few years.

RXP. said:
MaxA said:

Hey max PASM + DSC is a great set up.

The Ohlins install was over 2 years ago, IIRC I ordered new oem top mounts and built up the suspension, then fitted them up and set the ride height and then maxed the camber out as much as possible during install and then let the geo guys fine tune it . (on their system under which car to choose i asked them to choose the 997 sport classic geo settings as it was a sensible comprise)

I will try and find a print out of the last geo.

Much appreciated; I think I may need the lower control/coffin arms.

IMI A said:
RXP. said:
IMI A said:

If you're ever around London or Herts post lockdown restrictions maybe perhaps being relaxed a bit let me know via PM you're welcome to have a spin and find out for yourself :devil:

Was very close to factory ordering a C2S instead of turbo back in 2007. I really like them. They'll be the next 964 C2 IMO in a few years.

Many thanks for your offer I would love to take you up on that in the future. :thumbs:

If all goes to plan in the next few days I'll try and update after swapping out the factory SSK for the CAE shifter.

Beautiful car and tasteful set of mods.
I'm on ohlins as well with similar drop and surprised you could get -2 camber. Mine is maxed out at 1.2-1.3 in the front.

Also could you share details on the wheels, they look good and the weight savings are an added advantage.

RXP. said:
IMI A said:
RXP. said:
IMI A said:

Many thanks for your offer I would love to take you up on that in the future. :thumbs:

If all goes to plan in the next few days I'll try and update after swapping out the factory SSK for the CAE shifter.

Feel free anytime once restrictions relaxed.

We can compare to B16 Damptronics on friends 9e 28 same day. Suspension next few upgrades for me with bigger brakes.

Attachments

• 44hklyfo_724.jpg
    44hklyfo_724.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,766

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back