Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 3rd brake light issues

Tombri

Nurburgring
3 years ago I bought a set of LEDs for my 3rd brake light from Tore. As with all his products, the fitting was straightforward and the lights a huge improvement from what was fitted at the factory.

However last week it was pointed out that only half of the strip was working with the other half either not working at all or occasionally working but only at 30% strength.

I have stripped the light and not found any break in the wires or obvious fault.

Has anyone else suffered similar issues?

Can't speak for Tore's 3rd light led replacements but I have found that leds are very sensitive to voltage drops. My interior lights are leds and will flicker if the battery is not fully charged. Try a direct connection if they work then something is causing a bad contact, usually an earth somewhere.

Thank you Endoman. Although the car was doing a lot of miles over several days, the interior lights do not always work properly so you might be on the right track. Cheers.

I've had a similar experience with Tore's third brake light kit, which I fitted several years ago.

I thought it might be the connections between the two halves of the strip, as one night I noticed when I hit a bump under braking, the half which wasn't working came back to life.

I took the light strip out before I went to Le Mans and connected the wires to a 9v battery. Initially the whole strip worked but the half furthest from the connectors would flicker and go out when gentle pressure was put on it. I ran some more solder over the connectors between the two halves and the whole strip then worked, even when pressure was applied.

I reinstalled the strip and so far as I can tell (I only only did a limited amount of night driving while I was away), the full strip still seems to be working.

Thank you very much Pinot. Very helpful and I will try that when I get a moment. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back