Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

winter wheels - does anybody do it

wilpert

I sure its been done before but Im picking up a new 981s on Saturday and it has 20" turbo alloys.

I want to use the car as much as I can, which is something I always do with cars but I will most likely get a cheap runaround for the winter months, thinking BMW 1 series for 10k ish or maybe a VW golf.

There are bound to be days when I still want to use the Boxster and I was curious if people feel its worth picking up a set of 19" wheels and tyres and having them put on for the winter.
Ive got plenty of storage space for whatever set I'm not using but I wondered if this was a bit of a fantasy and not really something that people do?

I do this for my X5 and my wife's 120d - if you go down this route then I would go for the smallest diameter wheels you can get - makes the tyres cheaper! eBay in Germany can be a good source for this

I drive mine daily and this winter have had some proper hammer. I've seriously kerbed all mine with big dinges in and the front passenger side doesn't even have a clean edge round any part of the perimeter.

Answer - full alloy refurb tomorrow. Will get them back looking like new wheels and probably much cheaper than buying a 2nd set for winter :D

Alex - whilst getting the wheels refurbed don't forget to get your shoes re-soled too! Can be a tad slippy out there in the winter!

:floor:

Wilpert , I have just brought a second set of alloys on a bit of a whim , I was thinking of putting winter tyres on them . it would be the first time I have ever changed tyres for the winter for several reasons 1st all year tyres are pretty good for well 'em for all year and second we dont really have winter on the south coast not the sort of winter you would need to change tyres for . I drive my Porsche all year . but thought I might see what a set of winter tyres would be like . :thumb:

ran them on the Cayenne this year and proved to be very worth while with what was snow into April !

having said that 2019 is probably going to be the opposite !

I'm thinking more in terms of potential damage to the nice ones I've got on there already, which are 20s turbo alloys.

Maybe drop down to a 19 or even 18. Should be cheap and save money long term?

Not sure which ones would be standard in the 981s. Anybody know?

mikeluke said:
Alex - whilst getting the wheels refurbed don't forget to get your shoes re-soled too! Can be a tad slippy out there in the winter!

Wrong!

Summer tyres are far more fun on a C4 in the snow, hence me keeping them on.

:grin:

True...

More videos of you falling on your ar$e please!

:thumb:

alex yates said:
mikeluke said:

Wrong!

Summer tyres are far more fun on a C4 in the snow, hence me keeping them on.

:grin:

use winter tyres year round for the same effect!

:worship: :thumbs:

I use Sottozeros in 19" on my 997 for winter.
Gets cold (-15c) regularly and sees snow most winters.
Makes a great snow plough.

I for one am a big advocate of winter tyres.
I don't use the Porsche year round, but put winters on the Audi and Tiguan in winter. This is a throwback of working in Norway where its law that you must run winters from Late October to March & people just go about their daily business as normal.

Trust me, I had the poor Audi ploughing through meter deep snow at the start of this year! Worth every penny!!!

As an example. You remember the footage of all those cars stuck on the motorway for days for the sake of 2" of snow? Simply wouldn't happen with the right tyres on, trust me!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back