Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 11
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

diverzeusy
Österreich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeracer1098 wrote:
Senoj wrote:
We all like to have a bit of fun on the road where appropriate. Trying to mitigate it with gadgets wont look great in front of the local beak regardless of wether its technically perveting the course of justice or not.
Now i know from personal experience that these type of fines are indeed means tested so im not sure how great a value these things will look in that context.
What are folks trying to achieve here. You want to avoid getting nicked unfairly? When is it unfair exactly? Its an odds game, over time it will even out.

Even a dashcam is potentially a self incriminating device...

Have an appropriate blast by all means as we all like to do but bin the gadgets and just keep your wits about youwould be my take on it.

Maybee so, however if there was an unmarked Police car behind you or you overtook one while having a bit of fun etc, you could easily find yourself in front of the Magistrates Court/Crown Court being given a castodial sentence.

So easily done.

Umfirtunately sometimes we don’t realise the implications of our actions until it’s too late.

Neither of the original post mentioned gadgets would save you from the unmarked old bill nooo

Bikeracer1098
Österreich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diverzeusy wrote:
Bikeracer1098 wrote:
Senoj wrote:
We all like to have a bit of fun on the road where appropriate. Trying to mitigate it with gadgets wont look great in front of the local beak regardless of wether its technically perveting the course of justice or not.
Now i know from personal experience that these type of fines are indeed means tested so im not sure how great a value these things will look in that context.
What are folks trying to achieve here. You want to avoid getting nicked unfairly? When is it unfair exactly? Its an odds game, over time it will even out.

Even a dashcam is potentially a self incriminating device...

Have an appropriate blast by all means as we all like to do but bin the gadgets and just keep your wits about youwould be my take on it.

Maybee so, however if there was an unmarked Police car behind you or you overtook one while having a bit of fun etc, you could easily find yourself in front of the Magistrates Court/Crown Court being given a castodial sentence.

So easily done.

Umfirtunately sometimes we don’t realise the implications of our actions until it’s too late.

Neither of the original post mentioned gadgets would save you from the unmarked old bill nooo

That’s the reason that I was tempted by the Target Blu Eye, it would warn you of the presence of unmarked cars.

Gottans
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using these devices would I believe fall foul of several laws as they effectively intercept radiocommunications that aren't general broadcast and fall foul of both the Wireless Telegraphy Act and RIPA.

Mind you OFCOM are more interested in prosecuting for broadcasting dodgy tv adverts than worrying about the radio spectrum unless it is to work out how much money they can screw out of somebody for it.

Best speed camera or traffic officer detector is MK 1 eyeballs Surprised

diverzeusy
Österreich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately speed cameras see you a lot quicker than eyeballs see them, and at a far greater distance!

cheshire911
Estoril

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you see a laser camera or your laser detector goes off, your speed has already been registered.

I was on M6 North recently around Carnforth/Lancaster J33/J34.
Steady 70mph. Long straight.

By the time I spotted a car on the bridge with a tripod mounted laser camera it would have been too late. He must have had his cross-hairs on my front number plate when I was almost a mile away from his bridge tripod-mounted laser camera.

Phew! I was at indicated 70mph so no issue. But a guy overtook me in lane 3 in a Jag F-type and he must have been at 90/95 mph.

The greatest risk is from unmarked cars and laser cameras.
Of the fixed cameras, I see so many people speeding in the Staffordshire section of M6 which is littered with HADECS cameras on the side of the pylons that catch all three or four lanes of speeding traffic. Perhaps people are not aware of these fixed cameras - even though they are now painted yellow from the previous camouflage grey.

I also see people speeding in the variable speed section on motorways with zones changing from 60 to 40 then back up to 50 to confuse motorists and sat navs still indicating 70 as speed limit on that section.

diverzeusy
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has unfortunately become a minefield out there, and yes speed is associated with accidents however, if you compare percentage of speed related accidents to speed prosecutions I'll bet the difference is astronomical, money making from people that have a car, so can afford a quick fine easily???
me thinks Dont know Confused
Back to the op I have studied this a couple of times, both after a ticket😢
All I can say is be vigilant, use your mirror regularly, if you pass on motorway have a glance at the driver, are they the plod ? Get a good sat nav with fixed and mobile sites listed, update this often.
On Mway remember to look back up slip roads as you pass, that's where they sit like spiders watching the web Thumb
And finally remember unmarked cars usually don't have private plates, often have tinted glass and are never too old.
Oh well that's my 2 peneth 😁👍
PS my license is currently clean🙄

G2
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a recommendation but I think this is an interesting niche in the insurance market Question

http://www.st-christopher.com/t-c.asp

As with all insurance, read the small print if going for this type of policy. Very high speed can be called wreckless in certain circumstances and that's excluded on this one.

Note that a Hiscox policy through AIB may already include prosecution/loss of license cover Thumb

EDIT: example loss of license only cover on a clean license is £84 for £10k cover from st-christopher

rabbitstew
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeracer1098 wrote:
From what I’ve read the Target Blue Eye is totally legal as it does not interfere with radio frequencies. Instead it mearly identifies radio frequeancies used by the emergency services. It is now also available for £699. However most retailers still sell them for £899

Python are another company who do tetra detectors, they start at just £225 so quite a bit cheaper than blueeye.
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

Gottans
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diverzeusy wrote:
Unfortunately speed cameras see you a lot quicker than eyeballs see them, and at a far greater distance!

It has become a bit of an arms race but the law ties our hands behind our backs as well.

Confession Time.

I have just been caught. Spent over an hour in heavy traffic, bit of clear road, a bit of throttle and missed the bright yellow box Embarassed 56 in a 40 = conditional offer for 3 points and £100 fine but better than a Band B penalty of 4-6 points or a ban up to 28 days plus a fine of 100% of relevant income, that would hurt. Still I am more annoyed with myself for not spotting the camera.

20 years of not getting caught, I just knew the car was going to get me into trouble.

Luke997

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the detectors are largely not worth it - if you have a device for opening your garage door which reduces the chance of a laser lock on, that’s surely not an issue but you’d need to be prepared to go to court to prove it. Statistically you’re better off without a front number plate instead.

I just use Waze as it’s notifications are excellent. The days of speeding I think are in the past mainly due to the age of the dash cam.

MaxA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a different set up in that (apparently) only one in ten cameras are operational (they change them from time to time and the information is on the 'net), and they're signposted (as in 'this stretch of road has cameras'). They do seem to flash the 'flash harries' in the outside lane more often than that, but what do I know...

But the really tricky ones are the mobile cameras in unmarked vans, sometimes placed 1km up the road from a fixed site ... or in an acceleration zone, such as leaving the city.

I got lucky the other day, as I was flashed at 66kmh in a 60kmh zone (coming into a built up area). I was just too slow in slowing down. I got a warning letter, but no fine. I think they were being nice, as it wasn't a school day, and it was 06:57 in the morning, and I haven't had a ticket since I got pulled in a speed trap in 2001. Had I been doing 67kmh however, I might have been looking at a speeding ticket, which is around €120 nowadays. There isn't much tolerance. Cop

Gottans
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire911 wrote:
By the time you see a laser camera or your laser detector goes off, your speed has already been registered.

I was on M6 North recently around Carnforth/Lancaster J33/J34.
Steady 70mph. Long straight.

By the time I spotted a car on the bridge with a tripod mounted laser camera it would have been too late. He must have had his cross-hairs on my front number plate when I was almost a mile away from his bridge tripod-mounted laser camera.

Phew! I was at indicated 70mph so no issue. But a guy overtook me in lane 3 in a Jag F-type and he must have been at 90/95 mph.

The greatest risk is from unmarked cars and laser cameras.
Of the fixed cameras, I see so many people speeding in the Staffordshire section of M6 which is littered with HADECS cameras on the side of the pylons that catch all three or four lanes of speeding traffic. Perhaps people are not aware of these fixed cameras - even though they are now painted yellow from the previous camouflage grey.

I also see people speeding in the variable speed section on motorways with zones changing from 60 to 40 then back up to 50 to confuse motorists and sat navs still indicating 70 as speed limit on that section.

Trouble is you can't tell if it is ANPR or a speed camera but the driver reaction of standing on the brakes is the same. New speed cameras can also have red light detection in them as well.

Not just speed cameras these days, a lot of the yellow box junctions also have cameras to catch people Embarassed

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: