Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slight vibration through steering wheel - any ideas?

Richtw

Monza
Ok so i have a slight vibration through the steering wheel at speed, it is not present below 60mph. The vibration is very slight and hands on steering wheel will dampen it but it is definitely there, it is more amplified on smooth roads, not really noticeable on rough road (but then there is more feedback on a rough surface anyway).

The wheels have just been refurbed and new tyres fitted, have had the wheels rebalanced but just on a normal tyre shop balancing machine (this has been done twice just to double check).

Car is 9 years old with 51k (C4S) - i am thinking coffin arms, worn track rod ends, wheel alignment, wheels out of balance, fecked power steering rack, worn wheel bearing?

Can anyone share any experience of anything similar - and where I should be ideally looking and possibly how to dial out some of the above...

I Would eliminate the cheap and obvious things first , tracking, error made when rebalancing or one of the weights has dropped off . see if that cures it if not then start to look at the other things you mentioned , but it seems odd that you have just had the wheels refurbed so would make me lean to the first two things I mentioned . :thumb: also have a check round your tyres make sure there are no bulges or damage also check tyre pressures are correct ,keep us posted

Could also possibly be front drive shaft related. Have you tried coasting in neautral when it does it? See if it's any different.

Personally though - something is out of balance on a wheel/hub.

Thanks Phil..... Car is into OPC Portsmouth tomorrow for one of their guys to drive it!

Wheels have been balanced twice, no weights have fallen off, tyres are new and inflated at 2.4 Bar front, 2.7 Bar rear - does this sound right on the pressures?

Thanks

Did they get balanced on the same machine everytime?

No they have been blanked on 2 different machines - both gave different results! weights were moved and it improved but has not gone away completely!

I have not tried coasting in N to remove the driveshaft element - thanks for the suggestion :)

If both machines gave different readings - there's your 1st problem. Has someone left something inside a tyre when refitting? :?:

I think the tyres may have slipped on the rims from when they were fitted to when they were retested, Nothing inside the tyres as far as I know - as in nothing rattling around!

Richtw said:
Thanks Phil..... Car is into OPC Portsmouth tomorrow for one of their guys to drive it!

Wheels have been balanced twice, no weights have fallen off, tyres are new and inflated at 2.4 Bar front, 2.7 Bar rear - does this sound right on the pressures?

Thanks

4S 2.3bar front and 2.7bar rear is for partial load :thumb:
18 inch and 19 inch wheels, partially loaded :-

(up to 2 persons without luggage)
Front
33 psi (2.3 bar)
Rear
39 psi (2.7 bar)

18 inch and 19 inch wheels, fully loaded :-

(as of 2 persons with luggage)
front
36 psi (2.5 bar)
Rear
44 psi (3.0 bar)

Can i assume the vibration wasnt there before the wheels were refurbed but is now ? if so its not suspension .

Wheel balence...... or in the case of hollow spoke wheels .. 996 only ? then sanding grit can get into the spokes and make it impossible to get them balenenced .

Thank you. It is not driveshaft as have put in N and still there.

DeMort they have been balanced twice now i am wondering if a bushing has split with the constant jacking? Also what is the best way to balance them as people have mentioned a high speed balance rather than the usual tyre shop balance?

Im just applying logic here .. if there was no problem Before the wheels were refurbed but there is now then its down to the wheels .. if it was there before then it could well be suspension .

I cant say how other garages balence wheels im afraid .

Jacking a car up should not upset anything really .. mind you that does depend on where you jack it !

One possible but a bit unusual would be the mateing surface of the front wheels is no longer true .. in other words its not sitting flush with the hub due to the powder coat if that how they were refurbed .

That would be similar to replaceing the front brake discs but not sanding down the hub flange before fitting them .. it would cause a judder as the disc is no longer a flush fit .

Thank you - perfectly logical! Oddly I have checked the mating inner faces, they are flat!

Car is going in tomorrow for another opinion!! I am hoping it is just wheel balance (cheap)!!

It'll be the geometry set up. It's happened to me.

Your old tyres would warm up quicker than the new ones as well.

Four wheel alignment :thumb:

Any ideas why it would be better with the PASM on, worse with PASM off..... wheel balance?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back