Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driving with no AC

jockmog

My 996 3.4C2 AC has a leak and, if I understand things correctly the slow speed cooling fans will not run as a result. Is it safe to drive the car in this condition until the leak can be identified and repaired? The high speed on the cooling fans operates as normal

Yes no problem but wear a string vest for ventilation :thumb:

If you turn the a/c on even if its not working due to no gass the fans will still run at slow speed .. unless theres a fault with them.

On temp then low speed kicks in about 96 degrees and high speed around the 105 degrees mark .

Yes low speed fans run regardless of gas in the system. If they are not working then likely the resistors. Safe to drive? Mine was like this for a while till I changed the resistors. Just make sure they fans run at full when triggered by a hot engine otherwise it will overheat and probably pop your coolant expansion tank

Do these low speed fans ever get noisy? My car has developed a mild "whine" sound after coming up to temp, but it goes away if I turn off the AC.

Is it definitely coming from the front as it could well be the AC compressor.

What is there to go wrong, you have a pump that is not pumping so it is simply spinning, I guess the bearing could eventually fail but it's less likely that if you were using it.

The cooling fans are now only in use for cooling and so there is less load on them and the other AC parts are effectively passive when not in use.

Mind you, if you don;t have a sun roof it will get very hot in summer and they say this summer will be very hot.....

The problem is that the low-speed cooling fans are NOT running and I have a 100 mile trip to the selling dealer to get it repaired under warranty. Replacement resistors have been ordered along with a condenser replacement kit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back