Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Im coming back soon and need help (in more ways than one)

wilpert

OK, long story short,
about 18 months ago I sold my beloved 981 s to help fund my house move.

I bought a BMW 4 series X drive, which has been an excellent car and ideal for the type of mileage that I do, (around 18k a year).

So, I now have a dilemma, I want to get back into a Boxster and I have seen some that are very similar to what I had to sell to top up my house move shortfall.

I saw a 981 pretty well specced 981 s 15 plate with under 3k miles for 42k, which seems cheap given the mileage and even if i racked up silly miles for a year or two, it would still be only an average miles car in 2 years time. This would stretch my funds big time but I am no youngster and I hear that when you die you cant have fast cars or women :sad:

So do I sell the BMW and do it?
Keep the BMW and do it but keep it as a weekend warrior?
Look for something a bit cheaper i.e. a 2.7 with a decent spec but probably 10k cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

wilpert welcome back , not heard anything from you in ages .
Fistly and probably most importantly where did you get this info that there are no women where we go from here :eek: :eek: is the after life just a huge blue oyster club if so I AM OUT :grin: I will not be spending eternity listening to YMCA dressed as a construction worker :grin:

Now on to the second thing . I personally like your man maths logic for getting the 15plate 3k miles car failing that if the stretch is too far then keep the BMW and buy a 12/14k Boxter/cayman as a weekend toy it maybe an older model but they are just as much fun :thumb:

hello Phil, I know Ive been lurking but as a non Porsche owner, I didnt feel I had the credibility to post here.

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense but maybe a bit too much - firstly the virgins at heavens gate is not gonna happen so sorry about that.
Then the cars, I fear the last one we get to go in is a long black one that goes really slowly and for some reason there wil be other people following us and they might be crying.

Now to the man maths, I know, I know, you talk sense, I wish I could get my head around it. I may go somewhere down the middle and look at a 2.7 981 with a few miles on it but they dont seem to be cheap enough to make it a viable alternative. i.e. come resale the S with lower miles will be a much better propostion?

Mate there are plenty of guys on here inbetween cars so dont let that put you off posting .
gutted about no virgins at the pearly gates :grin: better checkout whats on offer at the alternatve location :grin:

As you say the middle ground cars are still at a price thats neither place not cheap enough to be a weekender while keeping the BMW but a bit older and higher mileage to be an 18k miles a year car without completely wiping future value . hence my suggestions .

Personally I think I would be looking at a 12/14k toy which could even put you in a 996 cab if you like it topless either way cars at that value have done nearly all their depreciation and in all honesty if you kept it for 5/6 years even if you then scrapped it which is unlikely you would but you would have had 6 yrs of Porsche motoring for a couple of grand a year . its this theory that often makes me wonder why so many guys dream about these cars but dont actually go and get one and enjoy it. I bet your bmw has lost in depretiation more than the cost of a 996 :thumb: :thumb:

Phil,

Stop being so right, I need somebody to tell me that I NEED the Boxster S more that I need oxygen.

I have just been offered 21.5k for my beemer, which is pretty good considering Ive had it for 14 months and done 23k in it.
Im only about 7 k down on what I paid.

So if I could haggle the Boxster S down to 40k, im only 18.5k short on the deal and I would be moving back to a car that will have nearly zero mileage and give me two years of smiles. and still come out with average mileage.

Im feeling that I havent really taken good advice here and done a Wilpert and let the heart rule the head - :oops:

........ why does it have to be a 981? ....... the DFI 987 is also a good bit of kit and considerably cheaper ........ :)

lol theres nothing wrong with your Boxter S exchange plan mate and as I have a degree in man maths find it very hard to argue your theory . If thats your preference and carrying 18.5k of debt the repayments are affordable and wont ruin your enjoyment of the car then that has to be plan A . and as plan B of keep the Beemer and finance 12/14k for a weekend toy would only make you 5k better off theres not much in it so your left with doing what you think is best for you.

I still think I would be keeping the beemer as a daily especially as its only done 23k, trying to add 3or4 k cash and borrowing 10k for a weekend toy this would only cost you a couple of hundred quid a month and if you went 996 and only used it as a weekender it would hardly lose anything maybe even make a few quid over the next few years this is the potential advantage of choosing a 996 over a boxter so that way your not repaying finance your saving a few hundred a month and getting to drive a 911 for the pleasure of saving your money . Thats the way I look at these things imagine going into a bank and them saying ok save 200pm over the next 5 years while your doing that we will give you a 996 to enjoy and at the end of the 5 years you can keep the 996 or we will give you 10k plus back of the 12k you have saved. No brainer in my man maths calculator :grin: :grin: :thumb:

wilpert said:
hello Phil, I know Ive been lurking but as a non Porsche owner, I didnt feel I had the credibility to post here.

I dont own a Porsche .. i post here a lot :D

You NEED a Porsche .

You NEED a 981 Boxster

You NEED my favourite Porsche out of all of them .

Get a Lapis blue with black interior and have me dribbleing over it :D

Hi Wilpert where have you been? I knew you would be back :thumb:

I am with Phil keep the bmw and get a weekend 996, as Phil said this way you will see less depreciation, still have the family car + some pork back in your life.

Well well well, I'm ashamed thats what I am.

I have the cheek to ask for advice and then I dont take it.

Ive gone and done it, having lost out on deals in the past whilst I procrastinated, i didn't want the same to happen again.

i liked the BMW its been good and made lots of sense but I loved the Porsche that I had to sell when I moved house.

So I put a deposit on the new (used) 981 s

Its pretty much spotless and has all the bits that i need and the price just seemed too good to miss.

So the Beemer is going and I have consoled myself with the fact that if the Boxster starts getting too much use, i can always pick up a runaround for the dark months and we still have the rangie for family outings.

I couldnt justify 3 cars and my worry was that I'd take out the Boxster every day anyway because i wouldnt be able to resist it so Id end up with the beemer as the 3rd car.

I will ty to post a link to the new ride as soon as I re learn how its done.

:lol:

Thanks again for your input and looking forward to posting again soon.

hopefully here is a link to what I felt was a poor ad and ive shaken hands on 41k - shoot me down if it looks like a rip off but I fancy its about the right price.

https://www.saxton4x4.co.uk/used/4x...-3.4-24v-s-pdk-2-door-black-for-sale-ly15ujt/

Well done wilpert :thumb:

Everyone needs a Boxster in their life :grin:

Just had a look at the ad mate, it certainly looks nice and is well speced and the mileage is amazingly low . Glad you did what you knew you wanted to do and hope you enjoy it. :thumb: :thumb:

Yes, I'm excited to collect it.
Looking forward to what I hope will be some decent weather ahead for summer drives.

Once I get over myself and get my reality check, I'll have a look out for a winter car to use as a daily over the dark months.
I would have liked the beemer for that as it ticks all of the boxes but it would have compromised my budget on the boxster.

So I will look at something around the 10 to 12 k Mark.
Maybe a vw golf or an older 3 series.

Well done!

Always good to see a thread with some man maths in there. I think that there are lots of people who have similar thoughts/1st World dilemmas. Mrs L is a 'save it for a rainy day person' whereas I am a 'you can't take it with you' man myself... Makes for some interesting conversations and some creative number crunching when it comes to cars!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back