Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Front Top Mounts - Consolidating threads

Ghianightmare

Montreal
Hi,

I need to replace the front top mount on my 2002 C4S so i went searching on the forum to see if 997 C4S mounts are interchangeable ala C2 models. While there is much discussion, there doesn't seem to be a definitive explicit verdict in any of the threads.

Based on my research from threads on here and the 2010 electronic Porsche parts catalogue, the 996 and 997 C4S mounts while they may look very similar, are not identical and therefore not officially interchangeable.

This is also supported by a comment i read in one of the threads (can't find it now) where someone bought 996 and 997 top mounts and gave them both to Centre Gravity to see if they were the same and CGs comment was that they will fit, but the 997 isn't as adjustable in the 996 or something to that effect.

Also, the 996 parts catalogue lists the C2 997 P/N as interchangeable with the 996 P/N. If the same was correct for the C4S P/N I'm sure it would have been listed in the 996 parts catalogue.

If anyone has any official paperwork to support the interchangeablility i would only be too happy to accept that i am wrong as it will save me a few quid!!!

The fact of the matter is that the 997 C4 top mounts will physically fit a 996 C4, but aren't/weren't designed to fit a 996 and so there is a compromise of adjustability as raised by CG.

I would be 99% confident that no Porsche garage would fit 997 C4 top mounts to a 996 C4 for that reason. Just to clarify the 996 C4, C4S and turbo share the same top mounts.

I bought the Hamburg 996 ones - £120 each.

It's your choice...

Thanks Fastlane.

I'll most likely go with the Hamburg ones too.

I deliberated for ages, bought oem 997 C4S mounts and my Indy fitted to my 996 C4S.

Parts looked the same and when fitted the car had new alignment done with no problems all in spec and it drives great.

Glad I went down that route as it saved me about £400.

I can't see how they can be much different.

The body mount is the same place, the coffin arms are the same length, the hits are the same.

The shocks could be shorter? does 997 run a lower ride height?

This would put the top mounts at a very slightly different angle.

They may also be a slightly different rubber compound.

I also recently fitted 997 C4S top mounts to my 996 C4S all fitted and adjusted with no problem.
I did fit coffin arms, control arms, (after market) top mount bearings (oe) and Techart lowered springs at the same time and every thing went together perfectly.
The car drives great....and I saved a few quid!!

Go for it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back