Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 89
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 11
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Slippydiff
Monza


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 213



PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self indulgent claptrap, along with much painful faux hand-wringing.

New car engine fails. Manufacturer supplies and fits replacement. The end.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche2018
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Georgetown, Texas


PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other report of an engine failure by a GT3 owner in Canada.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
AVI_8
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Posts: 115
Location: Prestwick


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Self indulgent claptrap, along with much painful faux hand-wringing.

New car engine fails. Manufacturer supplies and fits replacement. The end.


All fine and well for those lucky enough to buy a new one, not exactly confidence inspiring though for someone paying a still considerable sum of money for a used one in a few years when the warranty runs out.
Pretty poor in my opinion given the decades of experience Porsche has that they find it difficult to build engines which are reliable.

It seems that they’ve had design flaws with every engine they’ve built since the last of the air cooled engines, with the exception of the 996 GT3 and Turbo model.
The end!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
david_yorkshire
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Location: Herts


PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solution; extend the warranty !
I would anyway just for overall peace of mind, not just the engine.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche2018
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Georgetown, Texas


PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_yorkshire wrote:
solution; extend the warranty !
I would anyway just for overall peace of mind, not just the engine.


Spending nearly 275K USD for the 3RS man that shouldn't be necessary. How bout Porsche build a car that is worth that kind of money.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
patpending
Trainee


Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 54
Location: IoM


PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what happens when a mass production car manufacturer gets its hands on a specialised car manufacturer?

Too many issues with P-cars since VAG took over IMO and when a small SUV becomes your “best seller” among many other “me too” SUV’s the focus is clearly on volume and profit.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/qz.com/431649/porsche-now-makes-more-money-for-volkswagen-than-the-vw-brand-itself/amp/
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
david_yorkshire
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Location: Herts


PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche2018 wrote:
david_yorkshire wrote:
solution; extend the warranty !
I would anyway just for overall peace of mind, not just the engine.


Spending nearly 275K USD for the 3RS man that shouldn't be necessary. How bout Porsche build a car that is worth that kind of money.


buying new (or S/H from OPC) you get the warranty ?

It certainly doesn't look like an epidemic failure rate.

Plus, the warranty expires, then pay for the extended warranty ?
given all the perks it gives you (in the UK at least) I wouldn't run a car over £100K in value without it.

The Mezger isn't totally bombproof either ...
(but it is a damn good engine !)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche2018
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Georgetown, Texas


PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_yorkshire wrote:
Porsche2018 wrote:
david_yorkshire wrote:
solution; extend the warranty !
I would anyway just for overall peace of mind, not just the engine.


Spending nearly 275K USD for the 3RS man that shouldn't be necessary. How bout Porsche build a car that is worth that kind of money.


buying new (or S/H from OPC) you get the warranty ?

It certainly doesn't look like an epidemic failure rate.

Plus, the warranty expires, then pay for the extended warranty ?
given all the perks it gives you (in the UK at least) I wouldn't run a car over £100K in value without it.

The Mezger isn't totally bombproof either ...
(but it is a damn good engine !)


Thank you my friend for the advice. The 3RS is a new purchase and I am covered X4 years but I absolutely never do extended warranties.......Always buy quality products to avoid the concern and although this is my second foray into the Porsche world if the car goes face down it will my last. Great lap times are impressive but I absolutely expect a car like this to do more than one lap.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Monza


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 213



PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVI_8 wrote:
Slippydiff wrote:
Self indulgent claptrap, along with much painful faux hand-wringing.

New car engine fails. Manufacturer supplies and fits replacement. The end.


All fine and well for those lucky enough to buy a new one, not exactly confidence inspiring though for someone paying a still considerable sum of money for a used one in a few years when the warranty runs out.
Pretty poor in my opinion given the decades of experience Porsche has that they find it difficult to build engines which are reliable.

It seems that they’ve had design flaws with every engine they’ve built since the last of the air cooled engines, with the exception of the 996 GT3 and Turbo model.
The end!


Regrettably Porsche is now trading on its past glories. Their once well earned reputation for engineering excellence is now long gone. The VAG bean counters now rule the roost, not the Porsche engineering department.
Caveat Emptor.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6199



PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could argue though that their reputation went tits up before VW (officially) took over - they were making chocolate Carrera engines since the early 2000’s up until the 997.2 DFi
Question
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche2018
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Georgetown, Texas


PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
AVI_8 wrote:
Slippydiff wrote:
Self indulgent claptrap, along with much painful faux hand-wringing.

New car engine fails. Manufacturer supplies and fits replacement. The end.


All fine and well for those lucky enough to buy a new one, not exactly confidence inspiring though for someone paying a still considerable sum of money for a used one in a few years when the warranty runs out.
Pretty poor in my opinion given the decades of experience Porsche has that they find it difficult to build engines which are reliable.

It seems that they’ve had design flaws with every engine they’ve built since the last of the air cooled engines, with the exception of the 996 GT3 and Turbo model.
The end!


Regrettably Porsche is now trading on its past glories. Their once well earned reputation for engineering excellence is now long gone. The VAG bean counters now rule the roost, not the Porsche engineering department.
Caveat Emptor.


Caveat Emptor......truer words were never spoken. My UK friends thanks for your thoughtful comments. Rock on! Stay safe.............
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Monza


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 213



PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roro wrote:
You could argue though that their reputation went tits up before VW (officially) took over - they were making chocolate Carrera engines since the early 2000’s up until the 997.2 DFi
Question


'Tis true, though one could still rely on the reliability of the engines fitted in the GT and Turbo models up to the and including the 997 ... The 991 ?? Hmmmm Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6199



PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Roro wrote:
You could argue though that their reputation went tits up before VW (officially) took over - they were making chocolate Carrera engines since the early 2000’s up until the 997.2 DFi
Question


'Tis true, though one could still rely on the reliability of the engines fitted in the GT and Turbo models up to the and including the 997 ... The 991 ?? Hmmmm Question


... can’t argue with that Thumb

Interesting how they now seem to have fixed the Carrera engines, but come a cropper on the GT engines in the process. At least the scale of these failures won’t be anything like the number of Carrera failures they had to deal with in the past

Re the Turbo, there doesn’t seem to be much noise about 991 Turbo issues / failures - they would seem to offer the best mix of performance and reliability if you want a brand new 911 now
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum