Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

FFS I have an engine problem *Confirmed Cylinder Crack*

Sorry to hear this Leaon. :what: :nooo:

Keep us all informed m8 and good luck

Osh

Leon1davies said:
Had a good chat with Grant at Hartech this morning and his initial thought was it sounded like a cracked cylinder.

won't start it up again but will start stripping it down to send off...time to give it a new lease of life!

glad I wasn't miles from home or stuck on a motorway so definitely dodged a bullet there as you say Stoo.c.

I do take some pleasure knowing it wasn't the IMS :puh:

I still have a perfectly good spare Intermediate Shaft - thats just about the one bit that didnt get totally destroyed :grin:

Took me a while to find another decent 3.6 but did the work myself and so the cost could have been far worse.

Stoo.c said:
Leon1davies said:
Had a good chat with Grant at Hartech this morning and his initial thought was it sounded like a cracked cylinder.

won't start it up again but will start stripping it down to send off...time to give it a new lease of life!

glad I wasn't miles from home or stuck on a motorway so definitely dodged a bullet there as you say Stoo.c.

I still have a perfectly good spare Intermediate Shaft - thats just about the one bit that didnt get totally destroyed :grin:

Took me a while to find another decent 3.6 but did the work myself and so the cost could have been far worse.

Whilst I am annoyed I've not got the use of the car at the moment, I'm nowhere near as irritated as I thought I'd be...I'm trying to find any positivity in this and I think that's why.

Sort of looking forward to working on it myself, dropping the engine and stripping it! All a new learning experience and gained skills! If it needs it, I'll get hartech to rebuild it but i want to get my hands dirty as much as I can

You are incredibly lucky - you're one of the very few who managed to catch it before a catastrophic failure so whilst its still going to be expensive - you'll have an amazing future-proofed engine.

Hope it all gets sorted out for you as painlessly as possible, out of interest what year is it, many miles?

Re: FFS I think I have an engine problem

Leon1davies said:
..... i'm now at 107k miles..

I'm so gutted for you Leon :( I've always thought of yours as Pootle's closest sister!
I'm glad you're seeing the positive and you're looking forward to the adventure of stripping it all down though....

3.9 conversion??? :thumbs:

Glad you caught this early Leon and as you have already said; look at the positives - doing the engine drop and strip down will be great experience and also a satisfying pleasure.

This is what this forum is about, plenty of great people and experience that will be only too happy to assist where they can - please do keep us all posted and informed, would be good to know the outcome.

GL

All the Best

:thumb:

DavidM said:
Hope it all gets sorted out for you as painlessly as possible, out of interest what year is it, many miles?

It's a 2002 cab with 107k miles...still worth preserving :lol:

Halcyon said:
I'm so gutted for you Leon :( I've always thought of yours as Pootle's closest sister!
I'm glad you're seeing the positive and you're looking forward to the adventure of stripping it all down though....

3.9 conversion??? :thumbs:

3.9 is tempting...will have to see what I fancy when I get to that bridge. So far I've kept it stock but you never know!

We are getting ready to take batch orders for oversized engines. The 3.4 to 3.7 (996, Cayman S and Boxster S 3.4) provides almost identical power characteristics and performance to a std 3.6 and the 3.6 (996 or 997) to 3.9 similar to a 3.8 (a little better usually but not really noticeable if you have a 3.8 to start with but very noticeable going up from a 3.6).

We are now in the process of developing a Cayman S to 3.9 and a Boxster S 3.2 to 3.7 but we will need to do some miles etc before we would be ready to offer this conversion and we await feedback to see if the extra is worth the trouble when running with the original std auxiliaries.

Mind you the standard rebuilds are still running very well as stated by a customer only yesterday who asked for some of the new "Powered by Hartech" decals and I quote "I was wondering if I could have a pair of "Powered by Hartech" stickers for my 911? Your company did a complete engine rebuild on my car in 2013 and it's still performing faultlessly with almost zero oil usage 30,000 miles later".

The new logo's are also prominent on our Cayman S race car that had its first outing at Silverstone the weekend before last finishing second in the first race and crashed into while leading in the second race. The racing due to be shown on Motorsport TV on Tuesday 26th June @ 17.00 where the style of decal is on the bonnet and boot of car number 40.

Anyone who previously has had a full engine rebuild by us (all 6 cylinders etc) who might like a pair of small windscreen decals is welcome to E-mail us with details of the job and registration number etc.

Baz

bazhart said:
Mind you the standard rebuilds are still running very well as stated by a customer only yesterday who asked for some of the new "Powered by Hartech" decals and I quote "I was wondering if I could have a pair of "Powered by Hartech" stickers for my 911? Your company did a complete engine rebuild on my car in 2013 and it's still performing faultlessly with almost zero oil usage 30,000 miles later".

I've got "powered by Fairy dust" on mine :grin:

:thumb:

Harlech vouchers for wedding presents Leon will ease the pain :sad:

Good luck mate hope it's not to long before you are back on the road. :thumb:

Leon1davies said:
Stoo.c said:
Leon1davies said:

Whilst I am annoyed I've not got the use of the car at the moment, I'm nowhere near as irritated as I thought I'd be...I'm trying to find any positivity in this and I think that's why.

Sort of looking forward to working on it myself, dropping the engine and stripping it! All a new learning experience and gained skills! If it needs it, I'll get hartech to rebuild it but i want to get my hands dirty as much as I can

Sorry to hear the bad news mate but it's good to see you are looking on the bright side and even looking forward to doing the work yourself. Maybe you should start a thread when you do as it would be good to see how you get on doing this for the first time as it a job that some of us might attempt in the future when the need comes.

Good luck :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back