Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

Thefinn said:
RXP. said:
Car looks lovely! Probably one for the best looking oem wheels for the 997!

Has upgrading your wheel created any conflict with your OPC warranty?

How much was the handbrake?

Thanks I have had these wheels on both of my cars and defiantly my favourite.

TBH I haven't asked but it's and oem wheel so I doubt it and if was an issue I would question why and really what could changing the wheel affect

First off I thought they parts were the silly prices I listed on the last page as the first quote I got was for the two separate parts on different numbers as that's what the lad in parts quoted for. After some digging I found a different part number for a package of the knob and handbrake which came in just under £900 after discount so I went for it.
:bandit:

Finn, love what your doing to the car mate , I have the same hand break Imo its the best one for these cars, I also want one of those tequipment gear knobs to fit to my alcantra gator as I think it would finish off the interior ,I like my alcantara knob but like the tequipemnt one more :thumb: :thumb:

cheers mate, its quite nice to start again with another theme and I think I prefer this one rather than the carbon theme I had before, obviously I liked that as well this is just more me. The handbrake is lovely even down to the silver paint on the side rather than the metalic grey and I have vowed to take my wedding ring off when I drive it so I don't scratch things.

The knob feels much better than the standard one which I found to be quite light in feel and the middle ring a bit scratchy to touch. The new one is much more comftable with the leather inserts and slightly more robust feel.

Now for a bit of match making! If you want a knob (no puns intended) and RXP wants a handbrake :?:

Thefinn said:
cheers mate, its quite nice to start again with another theme and I think I prefer this one rather than the carbon theme I had before, obviously I liked that as well this is just more me. The handbrake is lovely even down to the silver paint on the side rather than the metalic grey and I have vowed to take my wedding ring off when I drive it so I don't scratch things.

The knob feels much better than the standard one which I found to be quite light in feel and the middle ring a bit scratchy to touch. The new one is much more comftable with the leather inserts and slightly more robust feel.

Now for a bit of match making! If you want a knob (no puns intended) and RXP wants a handbrake :?:

OK heres my third attempt at a reply that wont get the mods in a fluff but ref to anything handjo..... woops handbreak and knob wise was always risky.

:floor: :floor: but they are so dam expensive new mate , are they actually metal like the handbrake as I was disapointed with the feel of the turbo knob as its just silver plastic I had expected it to be metal :thumb:

You do have to always be careful of the ring if its scratchy mate :floor:
and yes I get what you mean by starting again as I liked what I did to the gen1 with all the acid green and power mods but its fun to start with the gen2 and have a different theme :thumb:

:floor: it really stings when you nick a finger on a scratchy ring :floor:

:hand:

seriously now, I know what you mean as I thought the same with the wheel being painted plasic but the knob is solid aluminium like the handbrake and feels quality, so you won't be disappointed. If you are going to get one buy the kit with the handbrake as well and sell it, crazy but the two are cheaper than the knob on its own.

As I have the same model car as before I will keep to the same engine mods once my warranty is up but this time I will just finish the plan and get it mapped.

Its been quite a while since i updated my thread but that doesn't mean that i haven't had the spanners out, i have just spent all of my spare time on the car rather than catching up on this.

I have been hanging on to start with the more serious mods due to warranty but this was up soon so the list of jobs to tackle got underway. Just an easy small one in preparation for a service was to dig out my BMC panel filter and give a clean and oil before the car went in.

Attachments

• filter_120.jpg
    filter_120.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,566
my front headlights were a little hazy so the next small job was to remove them and give them refurbishment treatment. I have not used one of these kits before but it worked well, one thing i found though that if your headlights are not that bad try just the polish first to see if that will clear it as this will save you a lot of sanding.

Attachments

• hd1_200.jpg
    hd1_200.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,563
I just used the kit as directed which gave good results, i do have a small swirl on one of the lights so i am going to go back and do that light again but of course i didn't spot this until it was all back together, so i think i will save this when the car is in the garage over the winter

Attachments

• hd3_121.jpg
    hd3_121.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3,553
these two small jobs took me up to the service and the end of the warranty which mark the stage when some proper mods can take place.

My car did have full OPC history which i was going to keep up just because, but the wait for a service was about a month + i have no plan to get rid of the car any time soon so i decided to take the car to Terry at Autostrasse and not worry about the stigma of an OPC history. I have use Terry in the past and I know that he would do a much better job than OPC anyway plus his knowledge goes beyond a PIWIS, so the car will be back with him every time from now on when there are jobs that i cant complete myself.

He even talked me out of a coil pack change as the car didn't need it, would OPC do that! :?:

Attachments

• service_319.jpg
    service_319.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3,548
Good to see the proper mods starting mate now your out of warranty :thumb: :thumb: I need to do the headlight treatment , I did read somewhere that if you dont add a clear coat after the haze comes back :dont know: but need to find somewhere local that can do it as the guy who did them on my gen one has become a To55er the way he has treated others I know that live local so wont be using him again. :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Good to see the proper mods starting mate now your out of warranty :thumb: :thumb: I need to do the headlight treatment , I did read somewhere that if you dont add a clear coat after the haze comes back :dont know: but need to find somewhere local that can do it as the guy who did them on my gen one has become a To55er the way he has treated others I know that live local so wont be using him again. :grin: :thumb:

The kit comes with a sealing spray which you just top up every few months I think that stops the haze coming back.

Right onto the mods that are going to change how my car performs and handles, first up i have completed the install of a DSC control module and while i fitted it i also removed the old skool phone holder swapped out for a panel I have been waiting for about 6 months to come up on ebay at a sensible price.

Attachments

• dsc_792.jpg
    dsc_792.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,496
After removing the speaker you then have to remove the phone holder before the side panel will come off. To do so there are a few screws on the front, one is behind the round grommet in the middle, once these are off the leather backing to the phone holder pulls off to reveal more screws that mount the plastic body to the center console. Once the phone holder is gone the pannel removes as the standard panels do.

Attachments

• dsc_1_726.jpg
    dsc_1_726.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,484

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back