Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

headlights - dipped beam not working

declandio

Hi all

My headlights have stopped working! Everything except the dipped beam works fine.

A bit of Googling led me to believe that the switch was probably faulty, so I bought a new one (996 613 535 00) and replaced it. Easy job. Didn't make any difference though.

I know the bulbs are ok because I removed them and got them to light up by connection to a charged battery.

Any idea where I should look next?

The stalk on the steering wheel perhaps?

Cheers!

deMort said:
What age is the car and what type of headlights please.

Also do you have a voltmeter ?

It's a 1999, gen 1 996. Standard halogen type lights, not Litronic.

Yep, I do have a multimeter thingy!

Mine failed when I first tried it and the dealer replaced the switch to get it through the pre-sale MoT, apparently quite a common fault and not too hard to do.

maldren said:
Mine failed when I first tried it and the dealer replaced the switch to get it through the pre-sale MoT, apparently quite a common fault and not too hard to do.

Not hard at all, I picked up a new switch and installed it but the problem persists unfortunately. I'm referring to the switch on the right hand side of the dash, not the high/low/indicator stalk though. Which one did they change on yours?

Every post I've found where someone asks the same question culminates in "I bought and installed a new switch and now all's well". Not for me! :(

Turn the head lights on , with a voltmeter measure the voltage at both pins of the fuse ( the metal tab on top of the fuse and each side )

12 volts and remove the o/s/f headlight and measure the voltage at pin 1 and its a yellow wire.

12 volts and its the bulb / headlight connector thats at fault.

No voltage at the fuse and we are back to the light stalk switch.

Try something first though .. flip it from main to dip many times on the stalk as i suspect that might be the problem

Attachments

• lights1_1_108.jpg
    lights1_1_108.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 2,643
deMort said:
Turn the head lights on , with a voltmeter measure the voltage at both pins of the fuse ( the metal tab on top of the fuse and each side )

12 volts and remove the o/s/f headlight and measure the voltage at pin 1 and its a yellow wire.

12 volts and its the bulb / headlight connector thats at fault.

No voltage at the fuse and we are back to the light stalk switch.

Try something first though .. flip it from main to dip many times on the stalk as i suspect that might be the problem

Thanks so much, I'll try this and let you know how i get on!

sounds obvious, but check the bulbs (mine both went at the same time) and then the headlight switch. you can get a headlights switch for c.£130 and replace yourself in 10mins.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back