Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Definitive exhaust question

tyinsky said:
Is there any information anywhere about which aftermarket exhaust and cats give the most increase in power/torque?

No but there's a lot of misinformation and bullsh*t :floor:

It's filed in the same section as +30BHP from a remap on a highly tuned NA engine :dont know:

I'd expect a couple of bhp from some sports cats and a few from a decent re-map, however the advantage of the re-map would generally be driveability by smoothing out the torque curve.

If you want big bhp then buy a Turbo or spend muchos dinero on a 4.0litre build.

C.

cableguy said:
the advantage of the re-map would generally be driveability by smoothing out the torque curve.

Correct!

A decent system must surely offer something up. If the cats are removed power is gained, but torque is also lost. Some systems must save a decent amount of weight?

Wayne Schofield managed to find a healthy chunk of BHP out of my car when he remapped it.

Maybe Rennlist has some information on it all...
:dont know:

tyinsky said:
A decent system must surely offer something up. If the cats are removed power is gained, but torque is also lost. Some systems must save a decent amount of weight?

Wayne Schofield managed to find a healthy chunk of BHP out of my car when he remapped it.

Headers are the only thing that will give a big(ish) power gain on most cars but depends on the original design.

Remap plus backbones and sports cat will have absolute max +25-30bhp of course the manufacturers will claim mor

So May be 5 each for cat and backbones and 15-20 the map

nickjonesn4 said:
tyinsky said:

Headers are the only thing that will give a big(ish) power gain on most cars but depends on the original design.

Remap plus backbones and sports cat will have absolute max +25-30bhp of course the manufacturers will claim mor

I think your about right... Wayne got 18 more hp from mine measured on same dyno and conditions...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_YLI_Cxe7WPRWQ0X1pkc0xpaHdqdFpoMDJuT0hJYk0tbGRN/view?usp=drivesdk

... cats and back boxes mostly just about a better sound on these cars with stock engines I'd think.

wilsonny said:
nickjonesn4 said:
tyinsky said:

I think your about right... Wayne got 18 more hp from mine measured on same dyno and conditions...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_YLI_Cxe7WPRWQ0X1pkc0xpaHdqdFpoMDJuT0hJYk0tbGRN/view?usp=drivesdk

... cats and back boxes mostly just about a better sound on these cars with stock engines I'd think.

Yep mainly - lets say 10bhp if you do both. They will rev a little more freely and sound much better but big gains are scientifically impossible on these engines from remap and simple exhaust work.

I've just put the cats back in. I felt it was a bit chavy with the pops and bangs. The engine seems to run smoother and as said an improvement in mid-range torque.

i have a bog standard exhaust .i find the noise a bit disappointing . but i like doing the odd track day .at brands the other night the static db was102 and just about got through .if i get gert to change it .i don't suppose i will get through the test ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back