Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Leak

Tycho

Nurburgring
I took the wheels off this morning to have a good clean round the back & when I was rolling the car back in the garage (not started up) I noticed an oil leak. It is on the driver's side, I had just taken the car off the trolley jack at the back.
The drips were quite dramatic but stopped after about 5-10 minutes. I cannot see where it is coming from but it seems to have dripped onto the exhaust box & maybe another point in front of that. The oil was not clean so I am wondering if it was from the filter. The car not been used for a couple of days and was fine then.
Just what I needed on a Bank Holiday, at least it removed the temptation of a drive on what I knew would be horrendously busy roads.

Any ideas what it might be?

No, used the same point I have used in the past. Just checked again, a few more dips in the last hour but nothing like the initial "bust".

Oil tank filter rusted out?

When you say exhaust box I presume you mean heat exchanger. Most likely and common culprits are the lower cam cover gaskets. Just redone mine. Drivers side was pretty bad. A tedious job but worth taking your time over.
I have a few other small leaks which would require an engine drop but the hot oil smell and smoke have stopped and the rest are minimal.

I'd say it's a lower cam cover as well. Well known on the 993 engine. They can go all of a sudden ..... well I mean from an initial small weep to dripping on the heat exchanger and next you know is smoke pouring from under the wheel arch.

If it is, is a bit tedious as the bolts seize, but a pretty simple diy job if you want to do it yourself, just take your time making sure everything is clean before installing new. Expect a pint or two of oil to come out when you remove the old one.

Don't waste your money on metal replacement cam covers. Use OEM plastic ones 👍

Excuse the stupid question but .. did you do an oil top up at the same time?

Did you still have the undertray on? Mine has a tiny oil leak from one of the return tubes. about 1 drip a week! but if it stands for 3 months over winter.... which it does.... those drips form a little 'pool' When I pulled her out of the shed one spring, 'all' the oil ran off the tray onto the floor! Gave me a bloody heart attack, but in reality it was nothing! perhaps similar with yours?

The cam cover gaskets were replaced only a couple of months ago as they had been 'misting". I have not topped up the oil recently. One of the 2 drips is from oil dropping onto the silencer box (per poor photo), the filler point is above this but not sign of oil up there. The drips have slowed considerably & are clearer, not the initial 'dirty' oil.
Booked in with my mechanic mates but not until next week as they are snowed under, will just have to wait for them to get it on their ramps. Consolation from my wife was that it did not go when I was up in the Dales last week end.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will post an update when I get (hopefully) good news.

Attachments

• oil_drip_153.jpg
    oil_drip_153.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,528
Did you jack the car up one side at a time? Perhaps you just dislodged some remaining oil from an area that it had been sitting for a while after some service work? If you can get a better pic someone will be able to offer some pointers. Probably worth jacking it up again and getting a torch / camera under there. Remember there are 10+ litres of oil in the system so a few drops aren't going to cause much of a problem.

I only got around to doing the off-side wheels so it was only jacked on that one side – might do the other side now as its going nowhere until my mate has time to get it on the ramp.
I was having a nose around & it seems like there was some fluid on the power steering reservoir but it can't be from there as that should be red in colour. Overall not much oil dripped, it was just the timing that baffled me.

Quick update, looks like a self-inflicted injury. The leak was power steering fluid not engine oil, looks like it picked up some dirt on the way down masking the red colour. No oil leaks found.
My mechanic mates believe that my rolling the car while changing from lock to lock to give more garage space without the engine on built up pressure in the steering fluid causing a small blow back at the reservoir.
If the more spanner literate on the forum have any other ideas please let me know. At least I have not got a big bill on the way & can go to the 70th day at Leeds OPC on Saturday.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back