Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox oil (run-in)

Folks,
after a pointer for suitable gearbox oil for running in my freshly built box, gear box was rebuilt at Unit11 and they said use some low cost oil for first 1000 then drain and put the good stuff in, which I already have Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC.

Any suggestions on suitable product?.

Cheers
Trev

hmmm nice 20L drum right there......I'm just wondering if i just run her in with the Mobil and take the cost in 1000 miles to replace.

Trev

What is the recommended g/b oil change interval?

I think if I'd committed to the cost of a gearbox rebuild. I would just stick the best quality, recommended oil in it - even if only for a short running in period before changing it again.

I dream of having a gearbox rebuild undertaken on my car but have always been too nervous to even research suitable workshop, let alone seek a quote for the work.

How much did your rebuild cost?

Did you have engine work done at the same time?

A993LAD said:
I think if I'd committed to the cost of a gearbox rebuild. I would just stick the best quality, recommended oil in it - even if only for a short running in period before changing it again.
I tend to agree. As Unit11 did the rebuild it will be top class and reasonably priced. There is a good place in Kendal who do rebuilds and fit LSD's highly thought of locally.
http://www.mbporsche-engineering.co.uk/

Endoman said:
A993LAD said:
I tend to agree. As Unit11 did the rebuild it will be top class and reasonably priced. There is a good place in Kendal who do rebuilds and fit LSD's highly thought of locally.
http://www.mbporsche-engineering.co.uk/

Yes they were excellent but nothing to do with a Porsche gearbox is cheap, chaps I think I shall take your advice on this point and toss the Mobil in there.

Mr Endoman, I'd like you to have a trip up to Chorley to my place so I can pick your brain on a number of points if you get free hour or so

Trev :thumb: :thumb:

A993LAD said:

I dream of having a gearbox rebuild undertaken on my car but have always been too nervous to even research suitable workshop, let alone seek a quote for the work.

How much did your rebuild cost?

Did you have engine work done at the same time?

My gearbox was damaged so there were a number of items I had to replace which you wouldn't normally have to, including bell house casing ( do not get me into how I sourced it), new input shaft, new diff casing, new diff planetary gears....

Then all the usual wear items refreshed, many bearings and synchro rings, you name it got sorted.....in fact below is a pic of the worn or damaged items I got back..

09hCUUL.jpg

TjLPEfx.jpg

This how the diff looked on inspection

XZy1j9u.jpg

The spare input shaft comes in very useful when you need to align your new clutch btw...

FnA5AyU.jpg

Trev

I thought you were in Preston? in fact I'm in Horwich so we are only about 5 miles apart. I'd be delighted to meet up sometime, pm me. Luciano's at the Millstone (Anderton)is my favorite spot and you may see Peter Kay or Maxine Peak there. Not dropping any names o/c.

This was how my diff looked upon inspection. To be honest, I thought the gears were a bargain, especially being Porsche and buying from OPC :dont know:

11146034_10152973149972517_242948194_n_zpsfn4e6lsy.jpg

20150417_131016_zpsuackv4o8.jpg

and to answer your question, I used the same oil that's in now (spec wise) but did 3 changes over about 1k miles.

Wow Alex that really is shot, did that happen in your ownership?, what has caused that issue?, misuse or lack of oil changes?, :dont know:

So you went crazy with the initial oil changes after rebuild then?, were you advised that way?.

Yes I don't think the planetary gears were too bad, and in fact I got bargain of the century on eBay for a brand new diff casing for £40.

What else did you do whilst in there?, how is the gearbox now?.

Trev

Endoman said:
I thought you were in Preston? in fact I'm in Horwich so we are only about 5 miles apart. I'd be delighted to meet up sometime, pm me. Luciano's at the Millstone (Anderton)is my favorite spot and you may see Peter Kay or Maxine Peak there. Not dropping any names o/c.

I just say Preston as it's a place most people have heard of, I'm in Whittle Chorley, often cycle through Horwich in fact after a blast over Rivvi :thumb:

Will send a pm with my details

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back