Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator Fan Hub Bearing

decgraham

Hi All,

Washed the car today and when I started her up there was a bit of a squealing noise from the fan area. Had a good feel around (as you do :D ) and didn't feel any obvious slack/ floating. However, after the car had fully dried off the noise was gone. I'm thinking it might be the alternator fan hub bearing :?: I've had a look on the old web and the going price for this piece of simple engineering is £100 plus VAT plus shipping WTF :eek: So my question is, do you concur on the noise issue and second can I just buy the bearing and replace it thus saving myself silly money. ( I'm not trying to be cheap but don't see the £100 plus.

All feed back greatly appreciated :thumb:

ATB :)

I have done two recently, I think its another one of those age related issues that are going to happen to most of these cars.\
however take off the fan belt sensor, its easy to remove and check the pulley wheel bearing in it, thats often the source of belt related noises and cheaper and much easier than the fan bearing.

As above you need to isolate the bearing ideally you can use a screwdriver to hold the belt sensor pulley of the belt and see if it goes, check the belts aren't worn or loose, also have a bearing on the end of the alternator.

I'd suspect belt sensor pulley personally try some wd40 or similar in the pulley seems to quiten them down in my experience

Yes pulley sensor wheel was particularly crusty so needed some tic to get moving nicely, some WD40 and some grease packed in for good measure.

I've also done the bearing Dec, I agree cost is a joke and if you could source the bearing alone then yes why not, a good bearing shop could easily match it up.

Trev

Dec if doing the bearing you'll need a puller like below:

5ZY7zvu.jpg

eQGq2V0.jpg

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Yes pulley sensor wheel was particularly crusty so needed some tic to get moving nicely, some WD40 and some grease packed in for good measure.

I've also done the bearing Dec, I agree cost is a joke and if you could source the bearing alone then yes why not, a good bearing shop could easily match it up.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the feedback thanks too to trantorman & P-Tek. I've isolated the pulley and sprayed it with WD40 but after a wash I get the sequel. However after a good run the noise goes :dont know:

I'll probably get a bearing just to have In case it does go. I have a bearing for the spoiler drive but have not yet had to use it.

You could always fit the RS pulley. I less belt, 1 less bearing and no need for the belt sensor +bhp. I've not had any problems with undercharging. The altenator bearing is the original 170kmiles one. I suppose it depends on use I don't winter commute in the 993.
http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93119/RS-Pulley

Endoman said:
You could always fit the RS pulley. I less belt, 1 less bearing and no need for the belt sensor +bhp. I've not had any problems with undercharging. The altenator bearing is the original 170kmiles one. I suppose it depends on use I don't winter commute in the 993.

Thanks for the advice Endoman much appreciated :thumb: however I like to keep my car stock the way it came out of the factory. I even have 16 inch wheels :oops:

Endoman said:

Thanks for the advice Endoman much appreciated :thumb: however I like to keep my car stock the way it came out of the factory. I even have 16 inch wheels :oops:

decgraham said:
Endoman said:

Wow and I thought i was old school staying with my 17's :), good for you.

Trev

Hi Graham,
I bought one from 123bearings in france with was a total of £33, and then found the same product in the UK for less than £25 which is the link i attached. The bearing is a quality german OEM item in the exact same specification, dual race, sealed. A no brainer in my book, and far for ecological as well.

kk

king_kenny said:
Hi Graham,
I bought one from 123bearings in france with was a total of £33, and then found the same product in the UK for less than £25 which is the link i attached. The bearing is a quality german OEM item in the exact same specification, dual race, sealed. A no brainer in my book, and far for ecological as well.

kk

Many thanks kk much appreciated,:thumb: £25 is what I call a sensible price, £125ish plus for the whole thing is not !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back