Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changing sunroof seal?

searider

How simple / difficult is it to change the external sunroof seal?

Mine is looking a bit old and hardened and could do with refreshing.

If you download Body External from here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

Youll find instructions on how to remove the sunroof .. its then just a matter of fitting the new seal around it .

Not a hard job but the new seal is often tight to close so best left in the closed postion for a few days after replacement to squash it a bit :)

I just removed the sunroof on my car last week. It really is a piece of cake.

MC

Thanks all,

Just discovered that the sunroof now won't slide back......

If you remove the interior light consol you should have access to the motor , there is an emergency operation to move it which should be listed in the owners manual ... it would be usefull to know if it moves that way .

Does the roof motor make a noise as though its trying to work ? if so something jamming it or seized .. if not then a fuse .. switch fault perhaps .

It goes up and down.
Clicks a bit.
I think something might be jammed 🙁

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd missed something when I was reading it so I'm not sure if there are different 996 sunroof variations.

My 1998 C2 has the seal on the body side not on the sunroof itself so I couldn't see the requirement to remove the sunroof to replace it.

By retracting the sunroof into the car I've managed to remove the seal using a trim removal tool but there was some corrosion underneath that I'm now treating before refitting the new seal. The job wasn't too bad but I'd definitely recommend some sheets inside the car to catch any rubbish that drops from the seal as you remove it.
porsche-996-sunroof-seal.JPG

I'll do a video on the steps I used once I've got the job completed

https://porsche911owner.blogspot.com/2019/08/porsche-996-sunroof-seal-replacement.html

Did yours quiet down at all with the new seal? What did you use to treat the corrosion?

I adjusted my sunroof last night and noticed that the seal is not looking too good, so I will need to change it this summer.

P0tential said:
Did yours quiet down at all with the new seal? What did you use to treat the corrosion?

I adjusted my sunroof last night and noticed that the seal is not looking too good, so I will need to change it this summer.

I've not yet driven it at speed to check but it certainly looks to have filled the gaps that were there before.

For the corrosion I cleaned it up and then use Dynax S50 to spray on to protect and hopefully prevent further rusting.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back