Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thank heavens for a Porsche Warranty

When I saw a new post Terry I expected to read that you were just off to claim for another gearbox :)

I think its only fair that the Warrenty King gives a little back to Porsche :floor:

Maybe in another 10 years they might break even :thumb:

Gratz on a years trouble free motoring though .

T8 said:
Update: 31st May 2018.

No further claims in 2017-2018 but I didn't hesitate to renew again in February.

Everyone to their own but for me spending £2k for 2 years / 12k miles peace of mind is worth it.

Mine was in for the 111 point inspection today with a view to renewing the warranty for 2 years (it runs out on Saturday 2nd June).

It has been in twice recently for a major service and a new coolant hose (under warranty). On both occasions they have tried to update the sat nav to 7 digit postcode, and failed to load maps both times. I asked them to do it today as they would have now got a new/different set of discs. They still couldn`t load the new maps so have decreed it needs a new PCM, which they will fit under warranty .... happy days.

But ... this means I have to take it back again so they can fit the new unit before they can renew the warranty.

Now, as I live on the Isle of Wight it incurs a ferry charge and involves me wasting a day wandering about in town. That means a ferry charge for today, one for Saturday, one for Sunday as I am doing the Beaulieu run. They also need to talk to Porsche so my warranty renewal doesn`t turn into a `Stand alone` which is more expensive :roll:
I can`t do Saturday as I have some work to do, plus they would have to send me all the paperwork to sign as the senior service advisor is not working that day.
I am hoping that Porsche agree to extend the warranty based on the fact it can`t be repaired and comply till I have another day off and pay another ferry fare next week. And of course it won`t be under warranty for those few days. :roll:

Sorry boys, this is starting to sound like a rant ...... it`s just getting a little tedious :nooo:

Edit : Forgot to mention .... since they tried the update for the first time I have had no maps at all .... worked fine before :grin:

The whole Sat Nav thing is a bit of a faff but all-in-all I think you've got a pretty good result :thumb:

..... and you can't really blame Porsche for where you choose to live. :D

ps. You shouldn't have to pay it but the 'stand alone' (i.e new) warranty cost is only £80 dearer than extending your existing one.

Trust me us mechanics dont like the nav update and the problems it causes any more than you do !

The update wipes the original maps then loads new ones .. if it fails to load then the originals have already been wiped .

I suspect theres a problem with the dvd/cd drive in the pcm and its not reading all the data , that would explain the need for a new PCM which i think are something like £1500 exchange .

Ive wasted hours before doing updates and all for 0.5 hrs labour , kinda glad im at Indy now where its rare to do them.

You have my sympathys for the travel though .. we are out in the sticks where i work and often have to do waiting jobs .. its boreing for the customer .. as you say .. wander about , get bored and wander some more .

It turns out the PCM is on back order, so another trip in the next few days is not needed.
They are asking PGB if they can extend the warranty now and fit the PCM when it becomes available.

T8 said:
Update: 31st May 2018.

No further claims in 2017-2018 but I didn't hesitate to renew again in February.

Everyone to their own but for me spending £2k for 2 years / 12k miles peace of mind is worth it.

Update: 26th February 2021.

The £2k I spent in February 2018 did indeed give me great peace of mind but in addition to that it also paid for a set of coil packs (supplied and fitted when spark plugs were being done), a full set of coolant hoses (a significantly labour intensive job) and a Coolant temperature sensor replacement.

My car is now 14 years old and I've renewed the warranty for the final year possible.

deMort said:
Trust me us mechanics dont like the nav update and the problems it causes any more than you do !

The update wipes the original maps then loads new ones .. if it fails to load then the originals have already been wiped .

I suspect theres a problem with the dvd/cd drive in the pcm and its not reading all the data , that would explain the need for a new PCM which i think are something like £1500 exchange .

Ive wasted hours before doing updates and all for 0.5 hrs labour , kinda glad im at Indy now where its rare to do them.

I bought a set of maps for PCM3.1 off the chap on eBay for £99 and they loaded a treat along with firmware update :thumb: Perhaps OPC mechanics could learn a few things from these 'third party' suppliers :floor:

So that's that ............. my last year of OPC warranty has finished. :sad:

After 6k miles of fun in 2021 I SORN'd 'Red' for December and January before taking her for a shakedown in February. During that run I got a 'spoiler function fail' warning light and when I pulled over to check I was a bit dismayed to see this.

IMG_0648.JPG

On the way home the light went out and I could see the spoiler going up and down in the rear view mirror. The next day the spoiler came up fully but wouldn't go down so I let my warranty advisor know and got it booked in to be looked at. As is often the case the fault then became intermittent and I knew that if it wasn't present when I took the car in they wouldn't be able to treat it as a warranty job.

Fortunately on my way over to the OPC it failed again, staying up after a short blip to 75 on a dual carriageway. I left the engine running in the OPC car park until they'd taken a photo of the problem and the warning light.

I got a call later that day to say that it hadn't reoccurred when a tech took it for a drive but if I was happy to leave it with them they'd drive it several times over a few days. As the warranty was due to expire it wasn't a difficult decision to make.

After a week I had the call to say that it had happened whilst on a test drive and that they ordered the requisite parts from Germany.

Today, 3 weeks after I left it with them, I collected it complete with new hydraulic rams and pump. Including labour I suspect that little lot would have cost me over £1500 - comfortably exceeding what my last years warranty cost me.

After 7 years peace of mind and something like £13k up on the deal I'll sign off with a satisfied smile on my face. :)

T8 said:
After 7 years peace of mind and something like £13k up on the deal I'll sign off with a satisfied smile on my face. :)

Well done. :thumb:

Am in the 50% that see an OPC warranty as a positive and worth the money - wouldn't drive my cars without the warranty in place.

Firm believer in OPC warranty and will not have one without.

T8, so very pleased that the extended warranty worked out as well as it has for you over the years, however I suspect there may have been changes/tightening up in their warranty requirements relative to the stipulation that only OPC`s or their agents are considered suitable to carry out work on the insured vehicle..? Which seems to be a tad different to the way things appeared to work for you in the past T8 ..?

You may remember I jumped through a few hoops to join the warranty system, and given all I have read of Porsche failures and the costs involved, I would consider myself very lucky to come to the end of my warranty period with zero claims, and still consider it money well spent given all I have read of the unfortunate experiences of others via this great forum.

Playing Russian roulette with £15-20k loaded in the chamber to save a few hundred or more on OPC maintenance costs is not considered worth the risk for me at this moment in time... There was a time when no one worked on my Porsches but me... but times change.. :eek:ld:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back