Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911uk at Dinslaken 2018. Stories & Pics.

infrasilver said:
On a non car wash note, who owns the black 997 reg MX07 (??) I had in my rear view mirror mid week, had Dinslaken sticker in the rear quarter, M40/A40.

That'll be 'Grace'. And, ahem, atlas grey. I was driving up to outside Banbury c7am, then back again c7pm. What were you driving? :?:

EDIT - ummm how bad was my driving.....? :grin:

askgeez said:
Has it really been a week since I loaded the car , ready for my third Dinslaken trip !

Day 1
Terry (and son Matt), Marc , myself (and father Baz) met Sunday morning and set the sat navs for Cochem. Weather was ok, and made good progress . Had a lovely drive once we got off the motorways , found some great roads.

https://imgur.com/gallery/slqzJ2U

Cochem on the banks of mosel river is stunning . Glad to have finally made it , after getting lost on previous trip (don't ask :duh: ) .

Took some photos, and headed for Nurburg on the "Twisties", the combined noise of two n/a 997s with PSE and X pipes :grin:

https://youtu.be/CqKNvOKWfEw

Arrived at the Dorint hotel, via a quick stop at Nordschleife paddock (more on that later). The hotel car park was extra special , with several brand new 991s including GT3 tourings. Porsche were hosting the GT3 RS press launch , so these were "courtesy cars" for using on GP track.

Didn't have much time , as we had a 730pm table booked at the famous Pistenklaus to meet "Budflicker" Peter for dinner and few beers..

Very atmospheric place, with motoring paraphernalia adorning walls and ceiling. Can't be many restaurants with so few women in :floor: hundreds of men talking cars and drinking beer, most eating the Argentinian steak on hot stone.
Back to Dorint for a nightcap(s) in the racetrack inspired "Cockpit" bar.,

reasonable time to bed as The Ring awaited early next day...

Day 2 AM

https://imgur.com/gallery/aHgswg8

At breakfast before 8am, woke to a grey overcast day, with rain overnight. Checked forecast, more rain due.... :eek:

We checked out, and drove to ring taxi office , where we had pre-booked a Renault Clio "trophy". Signed the very scary disclaimer, "don't break ze car ... It is almost new jah!! Ze excess is ten thousand euros...." :hand:

The paddock car park is just amazing , Porsches, Ferraris, McLaren's , M BMWs and AMG Mercedes of every flavor and budget.
Was amusing to see a couple drive through in a one series with 2 kids in child seats behind !?

Matt, Marc and myself had 2 laps each , which we spread out across the morning. I'm unashamed to say I drove my first lap SO slowly as I just wanted to get one lap under my belt.

Track is much narrower than I expected, significant changes in elevation , and it was not only damp and cold , but huge amounts of slippery pollen on track. We were told to try and stay off racing line and keep to middle, but with faster cars hammering up inside, and grass and high kerbs on right... Was a little stressful

Safety negotiated the 21km, 70+ corners and did break 200 km/hon home straight :grin: what a buzz !! We all agreed the Clio was a good car, paddle shift, roll cage, very little sound insulation, and revved to limiter and popped and backfired on downshifts. In hindsight I found driving an unfamiliar car more of a challenge than the track ... left hooker , front wheel drive etc quite different to 911. :?:

I then had the pleasure of a pax lap with Sundeep in his 993. Crash helmet on, hold on tight !!!! Wow , to go round with someone who knows the track well, and has driving talent was a different ball game. Hard on the throttle , dab on the brakes, turn in... Apex to exit , floor it ...(and repeat... A lot! ) :worship: could feel how balanced 911 is, and air-cooled engine note at high revs was a delight. Didn't feel scared once, just grinning beneath my crash helmet

Went out for my 2nd lap, didn't feel as nervous , and car didn't feel quite as "under steery" as before . Couldn't even tell you how long it took, just soaked up the atmosphere. Returned car in one piece , much to all our relief !
Timed perfectly as there was a crash and circuit closed.

Day 2 PM

after meeting up with ELA,Budflicker and Diverzusy at Adenau... We agreed to convoy to classic remise in Dusseldorf.

We pulled out of car park, and I was last out, and got stuck behind traffic :puh:

Wouldn't be a roadtrip without getting split up ! The others were out of sight, and I chased hard with a few banzai overtakes, but to no avail. Sods law our routes diverged, and I had a solo hour oop north.

As I got near Dusseldorf I spotted a few familiar cars queuing in the roadworks... I had found the "S H I T S" gang :grin:
So had a few friends to convoy in for last few miles :thumb:
(Arriving ahead of Terry and rest of my lot).

The remise is always good. Hard to beat the volume of quality cars under one roof anywhere I expect. Third time there , so just a quick walk around to look for any extra special gems.

Good to get up close to a brand new turbo s 'exclusive" in lairy gold ...

https://imgur.com/gallery/4sYNUS6

to be continued

So.... Leave Remise mob handed. The usual chaos leaving Dusseldorf... Too many junctions , short traffic lights ... So bit of a lottery how many/who you convoy back with :floor:

The Tryp must be the most confusing hotel to find , I mean FFS, I've been there twice before :p

Spotted mr pub in a shell garage , so assumed he knew... No....
So we washed our filthy cars instead

The initial meet at the Tryp is probably the best part of this annual porky soiree,. All the various groups converging.... Catching up with 911uk mates :thumbs:

Park , check in, get a beer (s), don't bother changing ...(just me ?)...then after far too many..... Stagger to the Pagoda....for the now obligatory Chinese buffet. Cheap and VERY cheerful

Now at this point ... Any normal person that knows they have a long day/ drive the next day would go to bed ..... No... Guy goes for a beer in nearby bar, then sits up with Dr Jim & Phil till 2am
:bandit:

Tuesday..... Feeling a little jaded...got my shiz together to check out and set off for the show....

To be continued

New997buyer said:
infrasilver said:
On a non car wash note, who owns the black 997 reg MX07 (??) I had in my rear view mirror mid week, had Dinslaken sticker in the rear quarter, M40/A40.

That'll be 'Grace'. And, ahem, atlas grey. I was driving up to outside Banbury c7am, then back again c7pm. What were you driving? :?:

EDIT - ummm how bad was my driving.....? :grin:

I did think it was you Paul but as I came off the junction (1) I only got a glimpse of the driver. I was in a race blue Skoda Octavia estate you followed me for a few miles. M25 was screwed so I came off at the M40 to Heathrow.

Your driving was still slower than mine.

infrasilver said:
I did think it was you Paul but as I came off the junction (1) I only got a glimpse of the driver. I was in a race blue Skoda Octavia estate you followed me for a few miles. M25 was screwed so I came off at the M40 to Heathrow.

Your driving was still slower than mine.

On that stretch from Beaconsfield to the M25? Hope you got where you were heading without too much headache after? :thumb:

If you were in front and going faster than me I'd likely not pay you too much attention. It's the blue Skoda Octavia estates coming into my rear view mirror that are faster than me that I usually notice - in a panic! :eek: :cop:

Next time give me a :bye:

On a Pagoda note where did the group picture go that we took outside the restaurant, don't think I've seen it.

Longers said:
easternjets said:
On a Pagoda note where did the group picture go that we took outside the restaurant, don't think I've seen it.
Interpol? :lol:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

There's 2 reports on the Porschefreunde event in this months (July) PCGB 'Porsche Post' magazine.

One is from a couple in the Dorset Region but by far the best is a really good write up of the via-Spa trip from our very own 'Shewie' in the Channel Islands. It includes a picture of his car with a 911uk Porschefreunde 2018 sticker.

Nice one Paul :thumbs:

Best quote of the week when I was asking about who did the work on his car, he stopped for a second, thought about and said 'I dunno but bloody quick' It is and you can hear it from 2 miles away!

Attachments

• p5010165_reduced_751.jpg
    p5010165_reduced_751.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 4,014
Did you ask Khush about the oil? There was another 'I dunno" involved That was another unforgettable moment of laughter.

Some really great guys

Many funny moments during the whole trip and fond memory's. Hey until 2019. Where is the new thread ?

easternjets said:
Best quote of the week when I was asking about who did the work on his car, he stopped for a second, thought about and said 'I dunno but bloody quick' It is and you can hear it from 2 miles away!

It wasn`t Kush unless he said `innit` after that quote, said in his best Stavros accent :floor:

As an aside, if you didn`t know, he had a problem with the Ohlins on his car, they actually snapped at the base of the top pin. Ohlins initially refused to replace but since inspecting them have now sent him a new set, so the car is back on the road. :thumbs:

chaser said:
easternjets said:

It wasn`t Kush unless he said `innit` after that quote, said in his best Stavros accent :floor:

As an aside, if you didn`t know, he had a problem with the Ohlins on his car, they actually snapped at the base of the top pin. Ohlins initially refused to replace but since inspecting them have now sent him a new set, so the car is back on the road. :thumbs:

Thats great to hear Steve, he's such a nice bloke I was sorry for him when I heard they had broken. :thumb: :thumb: now how do I get a copy of this months PCGB post to read the reviews as I an not in the sandal wearers club. :floor: :floor: was the Dorset PCGB couple Carl and his Fiance, we bumped into them at the tunnel and again at the show both times we were wearing our superheros outfits ,they were going to the ring first and he proposed to her halfway round the ring at some mad speed in his 997 turbo. :thumb: :thumb:

Just to keep us going with memories, until the 2019 Dinslaken thread starts :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• img_2766_123.jpg
    img_2766_123.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 3,918
  • img_2753_165.jpg
    img_2753_165.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,918

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member