Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

My car was recently in for an MOT and I mentioned to the tester that the original cats would be changed soon as they were probably past their best. He advised not to bother as they were working perfectly and that my car was showing emissions well within the age related guidelines.

I'm now in two minds to hold off for another year or so before swapping them out.

C.

I think I am in the same boat as you, C. Will wait and see until next year probably and possibly look to book a trip in to Wayne for a remap at the same time...all being well, should be pushing out a few more ponies!

If it's a later car with 4 lambda sensors you would get a fault code, on early ones you would have to rely on a gas analyser. The 964 in question was a neglected car running rich with a clogged air filter and burning a bit of oil. Changeing from a 400 cat to a 200 or 100 will improve gas flow with minimal if any noise increase. Decats are noticably louder. Old cats have a high scrap value so don't let the garage keep your old one. not sure if Gert's exchange factotrs in the scrap value but it's a neat and standard looking solution.
'94 cars do not need a cat to pass the MOT but it's not very environmentally friendly.
:angel:

Ahhh...thanks very much. Didn't realise that switching over to 200 cell cats would not really affect sound. I am seeing Gert at the end of this week and so will probably discuss with him then.

Assuming all is OK with the stock cats, I will probably still defer to next year though.

94 cars

When you sat 94 cars don't need cats is that because of legislation or because of the actual engineering of the car?

From what I understand imported cars pre August '95 are exempt. So I'm not sure if a German made car for UK market is classified as imported. I have the Fabspeed x-pipes cat and decat which are very easy to swap for the MoT, though last time it passed catless.

When I imported my car from Kuwait in 2010 it didn't have a operating CAT M150. The CAT did have the monoliths in but as the car was imported to a leaded fuel country in 1995 it only had a CO potentiometer which was used to adjust the CO. However, under UK MOT rules for personal imports if you obtained a letter from the manufacturer stating this is how the car was built in 1995 they would test the car at pre-CAT levels. My car failed the UK emissions of 2010 levels but passed based on pre-CAT levels which are less than 3.5%, my car came in at 1.8%.

When I got the car to Spain the same rules didn't apply, so much for being in the EU :x I then had to go about fitting a working CAT and rewiring the ECU and re-coding the car. It took a bit of research and a few mods but got there in the end and it now runs at CO 0.03% :thumb: and has passed every ITV (Spanish MOT) every year.

ATB :)

I think most strut braces fit under the carpet - my Rennline one does. Anyway...

Apart from RSR mod I also succumbed to unbearable bullying and peer-pressure from certain members of the Illuminati and bought Big Oval tail pipes.

:whiteflag:

.....you have problems !! My 11er has no cat and is everywhere welcome to the TàœV in Germany - if you have good friends!

Two more bits from Bergville

3rd brakelight replacement
centre console LEDs

RSR mod to the Dansk boxes from Gert (sounds amazing...should be bedded in nicely by the time I get back home on Tuesday). Will upload a video to the exhaust threat.

Combined it with the motorsound airbox and the de rigeur big ovals. Also having the Hi Fi option rear speakers to replace the originals which are totally shot.

I'll submit my Illuminati application next week...

So far this year:-

Spoiler curtain - last one fitted 13 years ago.

Immobiliser receptacle and key from Hamilton & Palmer.

Engine oil and filters for 12k mile service - did it myself.

Two 205/50 17 Michelin Pilot Sports for the front - the last ones still had tread but were nine years old.

All this and the car has not done 100 miles in 2018! - I will sort that this weekend.

Aircon re-gas. I took it to Jim at Chillout, as I'd fitted my RS sill covers (at last...) and found what could be a small leak at one of the joints under the old sill cover.
I last had it done in 2014, and although it still works - I thought it could be better.

The difference between thinking it's OK and knowing it's OK is a world apart. All good again now.... :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back