Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The New Cool

Love that picture too
James_Bond_Lotus_Espirit_Turbo_1980_large.jpg

This gave me the inspiration
21971.jpg

slowly slowly very slowly getting yhere..

LEpmqKR.jpg

Looking at this again PTT i would have the skis round the other way. Even Bond has it wrong imo!
Cheers
Rick

3M6bNE3.jpg

Winter ready

sdRy3nB.jpg

Had a midnight blue 924 back in 1990 loved it great handling car wish I still had it sold for £3500 in about 1992 which was fair money then.
Mine had a wining diff but loved to throw it about not too fast but Highly predictable.

Now here's a really stupid one, I could have bought a Ferrari Dino in blue very rough for £16500 from Ron Stratton's in Knutsford but instead bought a Vauxhall calibre 16valve for £12500 from Cheadle cars in Bramall ***** Sake
:frustrated: :frustrated: :?: :coat: :coat:

do7d3Cf.jpg

ZK7tL13.jpg

There is something very special about a sports car with zkis on the roof. Great image. What's not to like.
Rick

tRhxlc1.jpg

Hope you don't mind me posting a picture of mine on your thread. I took the bikes out a week or so ago, I could have just thrown them in the back of our new air-conditioned estate golf but where was the fun in that, it was more complicated to fit but much more fun.

1Dj6T3m.jpg

Brilliant, great looking car by the way.

I'm sure Bond has the skis mounted wrong. If the tips are pointing upwards then at speed this will flex the ski and provide lift for the car. Done for long periods of time it will have a negative effect on the ski; whilst they do flex quite a lot, it's only briefly. Ditto skis mounted vertically but face forward, I would have thought. It's a better solution because you don't have an aero foil on top of your car but I would have thought the 70mph wind for a constant period of a couple of hours would not be good for the ski?

Of course the other way round doesn't really seem right aesthetically but there you go.

If you have them flat in the roof pointing backwards, tips up, then you have extra downforce of course 8)

I have a TVR Chimaera and phoned the factory once (whilst it was still there) to ask about mounting skis on the carbon roof. All credit to the operator, she put me through to the bloke who designed it. When I told him I wanted to drill through and mount a ski rack on the roof, I was met with silence. Seems this was not in the design brief.

His thoughts were that the force imposed by wind would drive the roof up or down (depending on ski orientation). The former would be expensive financially, the latter expensive in life expectancy.

So I said, 'but surely the roof can support the car, I've been in scrapyards, they stack them 3 high. What happens if it rolls over - surely the roof will protect you?'

'No, you will die sir'.

So I never did mount the skis on top of the Chimaera - which I still have. I do want to take it to the Alps one year, though. Hmmmm...

Rich

If you look at (old) pictures of Porsches with ski's, there always mounted with the tips upwards, it also looks so much better..

82AOAZI.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back