Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spare wheel - anyone drive without it?

motivator said:
OK apart from the lack of space for the inflated and deflated spare, what did you do with the no doubt filthy, full size alloy with wide tyre, does it just squeeze in the frunk or have to go on the rear seats?

It was a front that had a flat, so it fit in frunk (just) once the space saver was out.
If it was a rear, I would have had to get the seat cover out of the tool roll and stick it on the passenger seat.

.....that's what I had to do with my 996 when I blew a rear - and Mrs S had to get a taxi home :lol:

I used it once in 2011. It looked unused at that point. It inflated easily and was fine for the 15 miles or so to get to the tyre shop. Once they had replaced the punctured tyre, they deflated the space-saver and replaced it in the frunk. They'd done it several times before so knew exactly what to do. I got the impression they had sucked the air out, rather than remove the valve.🤷"â™‚️

AVI_8 said:
I would have thought that once inflated it would be difficult to deflate enough to get it to fit in again.

yes, a right pain.

The spare did perform well though, over 100 miles to get home. The worst bit was driving the motorway at 50mph - very scary

AndyS said:
motivator said:
OK apart from the lack of space for the inflated and deflated spare, what did you do with the no doubt filthy, full size alloy with wide tyre, does it just squeeze in the frunk or have to go on the rear seats?

It was a front that had a flat, so it fit in frunk (just) once the space saver was out.
If it was a rear, I would have had to get the seat cover out of the tool roll and stick it on the passenger seat.

.....that's what I had to do with my 996 when I blew a rear - and Mrs S had to get a taxi home :lol:
:thumb:

Not as bad as a 350z.

They have a space saver.... But it cannot go on the back. There is a lug that only fits the front.

So if you get a rear puncture, you have to jack the front, swap the spare on, then jack the rear and swap the rear wheel for the front wheel.

Now you have to find somewhere for the rear wheel.... No chance of a passenger! Chuck it in the hedge and come back for it.

Tobesetc said:
Good question - mine doesn't ever look to have been inflated. Given that tyres go hard around 5-10 years...what chance a 24 year old deflated unit? Nice hard skinny tyre...mmmm!

It looks temptingly like the right size to store two sleeping bags on my upcoming LM24 trip...

And on the curve-ball subject of crash strength, I'm with the Illuminati...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=78799

I used mine last year. I didn't know how the tyre worked at the time and was amazed at how it inflated. Was on the car for a week while I waited for a tyre and getting it fitted. Delayed fine too and went back in the hole at the front. Really clever bit of design.

You could be right suggesting that the crash rigidity is urban myth, probably not worth finding out though. Maybe leave it out for a track day but the thought of being stranded would put me off. :dont know:

Not as bad as a 350z.

They have a space saver.... But it cannot go on the back. There is a lug that only fits the front.

So if you get a rear puncture, you have to jack the front, swap the spare on, then jack the rear and swap the rear wheel for the front wheel.

Now you have to find somewhere for the rear wheel.... No chanc
e of a passenger! Chuck it in the hedge and come back for it.[/quote]

Isn't there a similar instruction for the 993?

Not as bad as a 350z.

Now you have to find somewhere for the rear wheel.... No chanc
e of a passenger! Chuck it in the hedge and come back for it.[/quote]

Isn't there a similar instruction for the 993?

Tangent alert!

Not in the owner manual, but it's probably a good idea!

Note that the S has spacers that should be removed before you apply the spare wheel - the user manual does say that.

Funny how many people criticise spacers, yet they are factory-fit on the S.

Tobesetc said:
Tangent alert!

Funny how many people criticise spacers, yet they are factory-fit on the S.

Yep - was really surprised to find spacers when I swapped my wheels. Quite a decent weight saving I would imagine in just not having the spacers on

nickjonesn4 said:
Yep - was really surprised to find spacers when I swapped my wheels. Quite a decent weight saving I would imagine in just not having the spacers on

Surely you're not worried about weight if you buy an S...?

:wink:

without it at speeds above 125mph, there is more lift at the front of the car

Hold on... as speeds increase, the aerodynamic effects go up but the impact of a small mass of the spare wheel stays the same and thus, relatively, declines with respect the whole. There is no way that the effect of the wheel can go up with speed.

Actually... when cornering at speed, the centripetal force increases, so corning gets worse. Minutely.

Exactly correct! Force = Mass x Acceleration.

So, when cornering, you have a lateral acceleration and the force increases in line with the mass. So mass is bad! Spare Wheel is bad.

In a straight line F does not care about V (velocity) in relation to Mass but does care about V in relation to whatever aero downforce is called!

I rest my case, m'Lud!

:judge:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back