Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Speakers ... Again!

well timed thread .. My 964 has all original stereo incl tape deck :D

I dont' want to change anything really, but I have noticed my front speakers are struggling and can 'rattle' a bit so I feel need replacing as they could be damaged.

So, those Rainbow units, would they be a direct replacement for my existing door speakers if that was all I wanted to change ? Or is there better option for me

Note , for me any stereo in a 911 is a luxury :D .. I've spent the last 15 years with nothing in my 1973 car

I pulled the pin and went for Hudat's recommendation for JBL's ..
I'll update here as to fitting.
Thanks all for your replies.

I recently bought the front speakers from Gert. Very pleased with them and they look better than the Argos specials they replaced. John Keis in Reading installed them for me. They used a lot of sound mat to prevent rattles etc.

Cool. Thanks, hopey. I'll go for them in that case - going to get them installed by a local chap in Jersey along with rears too hopefully. I'll be happy with just a little bit of bass without crackling to be fair!!

Attachments

• rear_speakers_185.jpg
    rear_speakers_185.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 5,286
911UK said:
ballcock said:
911UK said:
fitted replacement Focal door units but put in a 7x5 shallow speaker into the rear to replace the tiny 6x4
Hi, can you give more detail re rear speaker?

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-sxt5735_p-32227.htm#

Pic below as fitted

Before and After

Sundeep, is that the correct link? Links to a 3 way 5x7 speaker, whereas looks like 2-way under the grilles, and cone looks yellow rather than black.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say that I had the M490 Hi-Fi option rear speakers installed and they are fantastic. I had them installed by a local independent who deals with after-market speakers normally and he was blown away by the quality.

The problem now (albeit a relatively minor first world on) is that one can barely even hear the fronts (which were after market...not sure of brand but Gert mentioned that they were Pioneer?). So I am having them swapped next week for Focal 165 AS which are supposed to be very crisp and much more modern. Looking forward to long road trips with a vaguely decent audio set up!

Pierre

I have the Focal PS165 165mm (6,5") speakers in my 993 doors, they are great. The original speaker water protection must probably be removed in order to fit them, but they otherwise fit very well. I made a new water protection using a normal plastic shopping bag and some duct tape.
I have the standard audio, (not 490 Hi-Fi) and I did not bother to change the tweeter elements to the Focals. The original sounds fine, and I always have more than enough treble anyway.

I also disassembled the rather bulky Focal crossover filter, and just fitted the woofer coil in series with the woofer, fastened with a couple of nylon strips. This coil is the only component used for the woofer in the crossover anyway.
The original tweeter has a series capacitor attached to the speaker element, and there is no need for using the resistor/cap in the crossover for this when you use the originals tweeters.
By doing the above, there is no need to remove the door panels, a job I really dislike.
The PS165 speaker grilles are very discreet, just as the originals.
Cheers,
Tore

https://flic.kr/p/KzJj1b

So, my speakers are knackered .... I need to buy some, so what's the best 'bolt in' option where I don't need to remove the door card. [/code]

RobIpswichUK said:
911UK said:
ballcock said:
911UK said:
fitted replacement Focal door units but put in a 7x5 shallow speaker into the rear to replace the tiny 6x4
Hi, can you give more detail re rear speaker?

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-sxt5735_p-32227.htm#

Pic below as fitted

Before and After

Sundeep, is that the correct link? Links to a 3 way 5x7 speaker, whereas looks like 2-way under the grilles, and cone looks yellow rather than black.

3 way is better as they add a mid range speaker, as long as they are low profile they will fit fine.

in view of the limited speaker locations in our cars

Think itS 130mm. Assume just replace this midrange and continue using existing tweeter

hot66 said:
Think itS 130mm. Assume just replace this midrange and continue using existing tweeter

easier to just reuse the existing Tweeter as that's a real pain to change and just swap out the main speaker as speaker connections haven't changed

Edit: just taken the tweeters out and now realise the greeen wires interconnect then to the mid range speaker.

White / brown on the multi connector is main feed to the speakers. Looks like I'll need to adapt this to fit the 2waya I'm going put in

[Just one last question.... stock wiring in the door. THe speaker has a green wire and a green/black wire going to individual Slade connections. It also has a black dual connector with 2 wires adding off. Are the individual green wires the main feed to the speakers and the black dual connector the feed to the crossover/tweeter]

How many of you kept the original connector on the Porsche wiring loom and how many chopped it off to fit traditional speaker connectors ?

Assume brown stripe is negative too ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back