Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil top up question

dp400

Trainee
Hi All

Having done around 1000 miles since I purchased my 3.6, the oil level gauge has gone from full to around 2/3 full. The car had fresh oil and a filter change done by the dealer before I picked it up.

My questions are how much oil should I put in to top it up but not overfill it, and what oil should I use. I dont know what oil was used when it was changed by the dealer 1000 miles ago.

I've looked on here and rennlist etc but I've struggled to find a straight forward answer on how much oil to top it up with. Also when I put my reg no in to the Halfords site they suggest Mobil 1 for my car. I've got some Mobil 1 in my garage but its probably been on the shelf for 10 years or so. Does oil go off? :dont know:

Although the photo below is not of my car, it shows the level my car is currently showing when cold and on a level surface.

Any help gratefully received from a newbie still learning the ropes!

Attachments

• 997_oil_180.jpg
    997_oil_180.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,678
Your oil usage is pretty typical so don't worry.

I'd ring the supplying dealer to check what they would have put in and then add 100 ml at a time checking between each addition.

NB: running below 'max' is far better than going over the max line.

Also, that gauge doesn't represent how full the oil tank is. It only shows the last 1 litre or so of 10+. Where your gauge is in that picture is fine.

DON'T use that old oil.

Having been brought up in Yorkshire, I would probably use the oil - in the lawnmower.

in my experience 1 segment is between 250 and 300 ml of oil , so dont make the often made mistake of assuming you need 1/4 of the 8.5 ltrs that an oil change would use, your oil usage is good and at the low end of the Porsche reccomended scale for the miles you have done so no worries on that front.
as Terry suggests put it in at 100ml time and call the dealer to ask what oil they use and would have done the car with :thumb: the cars on 62k so hopefully it will be something like 5w40 or 10w50 if it starts with a 0w? then I would suggest at next oil change 1 yr or 10k not the Porsche reccomended 20k 2 yr you change it to a thicker viscosity like 5w40 or 10w50 as this is widely agreed to be the way to go on engines with over 50k on them :thumb: :thumb:

I usually wait until the gauge reads ONE bar (when hot), then tip in a 1 litre oil, which then tops it back upto full.

In addition, I beleive you should only read the gauge when the engine has warmed to normal temperature. Indeed my gauge read significantly different when the engine is cold, to when its hot.

In respect of oil, there are strong views supported by Hartech on changing the recommended Mobil 1 oil to the thicker Millers Nanotech grade, if you have a Gen1 997 and/or bebuilt engine.

I did put a poll on here last summer, for what oil members use... Results are here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122318&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

Hope this helps, Im sure someone much more qualified than me can support or challengue this if necessary. :)

I wouldn't bother topping up at one bar down. I run mine at that level.

TTW said:
I usually wait until the gauge reads ONE bar (when hot), then tip in a 1 litre oil, which then tops it back upto full.

In addition, I beleive you should only read the gauge when the engine has warmed to normal temperature. Indeed my gauge read significantly different when the engine is cold, to when its hot.

In respect of oil, there are strong views supported by Hartech on changing the recommended Mobil 1 oil to the thicker Millers Nanotech grade, if you have a Gen1 997 and/or bebuilt engine.

I did put a poll on here last summer, for what oil members use... Results are here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122318&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

Hope this helps, Im sure someone much more qualified than me can support or challengue this if necessary. :)

I do the same although I usually put 3/4 of a litre in which puts it to one bar below max or sometimes max!

TTW said:
See also DeMort's detailed explanation on this thread...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127905

:floor:

I was just about to do a copy paste of exactly that !!

You beat me to it :D

At OP .. yes oil does go off .. i think thats a bit overdue for the bin :)

It would need not much more than a dribble i suspect to get it to lvl .. read the post i made in the link .

You dont need to add any. If its anything like mine it will stay at that reading until its due the next change.

The 'Maintenance, Car Care" section of the Owner's Manual has all the details.

Karl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back