Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Major service

I'll second taking it to D&G!

I just had a "major" service done on mine, including air filter, spark-plugs, all-over inspection and wash for £249 at a Porsche Indy in Devon.

All I supplied myself was the Millers Nanodrive oil.

I think anything over £400 is a mickey-take, frankly.

996ttalot said:
Some of you are misunderstanding OPC pricing. When they say major service at £395, that does not include other items like spark plugs etc that may be due.

This is why we separated out our prices the same as the OPC because otherwise no one could do a price comparison and many people where thinking that some indy were more expensive than OPC.

As an example.

http://www.nineexcellence.com/service/service.html?find=996--1998-2005--c2-2002-5-2898

The whole point of the OPC minor and major pricing is to get you through the door, then they will ring and say you need another £600 of scheduled items!

I dont doubt what you say Ken. The confusion has arisen because under the prior fixed price servicing for a 996 Turbo, OPC charged £750 inc VAT for major service with plugs. I understand that was discounted from a high of £1500. Today, the charge is £725 inc VAT and does not include plugs. The plugs is charged separately at around £600 inc VAT. Hence the confusion. I have no knowledge of non-Turbo servicing under the OPC fixed price scheme.

Poly rib belt and fuel filter are mileage items (at 48k miles on a 996 Turbo, not time-driven). Hence they are priced separately. Brake fluid is time-driven every 2 years hence separate price.

Th reason for the plugs priced outside of the £725 apparently is because plugs are every 4 years for low mileage cars so it might fall in every other major service for those cars on annual service schedules such as MY2002 996 Turbo.

I enquired with an indy recently and was told that the reason the plugs have to come out after 4 years is due to the risk of them corroding and sticking in the head, but they as indy use copaslip (or similar) to stop this happening. Asked if then the low mileage cars still needs plugs changing at 4 years, the reply was - we always replace at 4 years and follow the Porsche schedule! So copaslip or not they are still changed every 4 years (max) at this indy I spoke to!

Nonetheless, the fixed price for major with plugs with OPCs has shot up in price to what it was. It is difficult to justify such a hike when it was done for £750 all-in inc VAT and plugs a couple of years back

Your remark about getting through the door and getting the phone call is applicable wherever one takes the car for a service and it undergoes a "vehicle health check". I know of indys that identify £1000 of 'advisory' work very easily and justifiably because they see cars that need this sort of work doing in addiiton - its the nature of many of these cars. So the reamrk is not exclusive to OPC. It happens with indys just as much as OPC's in my humble experience. And I have not had 'advisory' items tagged onto my bill for the sake of it by OPC - they send me a video link and show what they identify and why it needs it and the cost is confirmed (at a discounted labour rate valid for up to 3 months) before proceeding and they obtain my authorisation.

deMort said:
I dont expect youll need any advise doing it yourself but if you do feel free to pm me .. always happy to help someone doing the work them selves .

Dont forget you have to dispose of the old engine oil .. local council tip should take it .. not the drain please :)

A few years ago a mate of mine who lived in quite a nice area of Hove came out to find his next door neighbour doing an oil change in the street. He had just undone the sump plug and let the oil drain onto the road. It nearly turned into a full on fight when my mate challenged him. But then I guess anyone who'd change their oil that way has to be a bit of a head case.

cheshire911 said:
996ttalot said:
Some of you are misunderstanding OPC pricing. When they say major service at £395, that does not include other items like spark plugs etc that may be due.

This is why we separated out our prices the same as the OPC because otherwise no one could do a price comparison and many people where thinking that some indy were more expensive than OPC.

As an example.

http://www.nineexcellence.com/service/service.html?find=996--1998-2005--c2-2002-5-2898

The whole point of the OPC minor and major pricing is to get you through the door, then they will ring and say you need another £600 of scheduled items!

I dont doubt what you say Ken. The confusion has arisen because under the prior fixed price servicing for a 996 Turbo, OPC charged £750 inc VAT for major service with plugs. I understand that was discounted from a high of £1500. Today, the charge is £725 inc VAT and does not include plugs. The plugs is charged separately at around £600 inc VAT. Hence the confusion. I have no knowledge of non-Turbo servicing under the OPC fixed price scheme.

Poly rib belt and fuel filter are mileage items (at 48k miles on a 996 Turbo, not time-driven). Hence they are priced separately. Brake fluid is time-driven every 2 years hence separate price.

Th reason for the plugs priced outside of the £725 apparently is because plugs are every 4 years for low mileage cars so it might fall in every other major service for those cars on annual service schedules such as MY2002 996 Turbo.

I enquired with an indy recently and was told that the reason the plugs have to come out after 4 years is due to the risk of them corroding and sticking in the head, but they as indy use copaslip (or similar) to stop this happening. Asked if then the low mileage cars still needs plugs changing at 4 years, the reply was - we always replace at 4 years and follow the Porsche schedule! So copaslip or not they are still changed every 4 years (max) at this indy I spoke to!

Nonetheless, the fixed price for major with plugs with OPCs has shot up in price to what it was. It is difficult to justify such a hike when it was done for £750 all-in inc VAT and plugs a couple of years back

Your remark about getting through the door and getting the phone call is applicable wherever one takes the car for a service and it undergoes a "vehicle health check". I know of indys that identify £1000 of 'advisory' work very easily and justifiably because they see cars that need this sort of work doing in addiiton - its the nature of many of these cars. So the reamrk is not exclusive to OPC. It happens with indys just as much as OPC's in my humble experience. And I have not had 'advisory' items tagged onto my bill for the sake of it by OPC - they send me a video link and show what they identify and why it needs it and the cost is confirmed (at a discounted labour rate valid for up to 3 months) before proceeding and they obtain my authorisation.

My remark about getting through the door was only referring to service items, nothing else. This is why there is confusion and why we changed our structure last year. It is an exclusive OPC marketing - I don't know any other indy that does this because I looked at about 10 of them, and for example when they quote major service, they include plugs.

Hence the problem with a customer looking at say a 996 major service being £395 and then looking at their nearest indy who are say £520 - they go to the OPC because it is 'cheaper' until the OPC rings and says you need plugs etc.

The OPC does not publish the additional maintenance item prices online either. We took that decision to do so for transparency sake.

Since I changed we have averaged 31 new customers per month on servicing, because they can clearly see the price difference.

Ken

Helpful clarification ken. Thanks for that. The extra costs of OPC spark plugs, polyrib belt, fuel filter are all available in a phone call to the service advisors - they looked it up on their PC screen and showed it to me.

On the OPC web site the Major Service description does not mention plugs, but it does mention which filters and other things are included. The omission of plugs means therefore that they are not included in the price - previosuly at £750 it included spark plugs on their web site. I think there is room to make this clearer as its a change from prior practice - message there for Porsche GB.

I am pleased to hear that you have clarity in pricing Ken. But I do know of indys also that do not include plugs as part of a Major service for 996 Turbo by using mileage descriptions (typically). So the 24k mile 'Major' service (for example) does not include plugs but the 48k mile 'Major' service does - hence the price difference between 24k and 48k mile Major services. Its only when I state I need plugs they reply "then you need our 48k mile service"

I have also been quoted a polyrib belt and fuel filter is required for a Major service with plugs by indys. Yet the vehicle has only 37k miles and these are 48k mile service items (around 5 years away based on my annual mileage)!

There is variation across OPCs and indys. I just try to make sure I understand whats behind a price (inc labour rate per hour, what parts are to be used - porsche-supplied or OEM or after-market) before I commit to it and need to know that it forms part of the service schedule at that point in time.

Some OPCs don't honour the fixed price servicing, its up to them.

Likewise you can negotiate with them.

So it was £750 last time? Why wouldn't they get close to that again, their workshop costs haven't doubled have they.

Worth ringing around if you insist on having that stamp.

I've had thousands off in warranty servicing for my families cars at VW, Nissan and Skoda dealers by ringing up and asking to price match or get close to the local halfords auto centre in price. I don't see why OPC would be any different, they can't be booked out all the time.

Everything in life is negotiable.

Fixed Price menus are only at participating dealerships - as the web site asterisks.

In fact my Mercedes main dealer discounts prices that mean its just not worthwhile to take it out of the dealership. It can never get down to the same price as an indy, but the difference males it not worthwhile to take it to an indy - who use MB parts in any case in MB servicing.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back