Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2007 facelift Cayenne S diagnosis please!

baldlemur

Trainee
Hi all
Any helpful suggestions most welcome!

On the home leg of a 60+ mile journey on Sunday evening, the engine of my petrol Cayenne S (4.8) cut out while descending a hill (no warning lights on dash, all gauges normal). I coasted to a stop and restarted engine, which started 1st time. I then continued the journey, but a few minutes later engine cut out again (no warning lights, all gauges normal). Car restarted normally.

I decided to stop at the Shell service station and filled up with fuel (tank was slightly above 1/4 full before filling up). On restarting car, I got the following message on the dashboard display "PSM failure" and the orange check engine light came on (constant, not flashing). Also, the engine was not maintaining a constant idling speed at this point, dropping <600rpm then going back up to 'normal'. I switched the car off and called for a recovery vehicle to avoid possibility of damaging the engine. It was a Sunday evening so couldn't call OPC or my indy for advice. Recovery vehicle arrived after approx 1 hour. Technician started the car and drove it onto his trailer - at this point there was no longer any check engine light and no PSM failure warning message either. On arriving at home (another 30-40 mins) I drove the car approx 150m to park it on my drive - again no check engine light and no PSM failure warning and car seemed to be running fine.

Anyway, car has been parked on the drive and I haven't started it since.

I've got it booked into my local OPC, but was interested if anyone (Demort?) had any ideas / suggestions on what might be causing these symptoms and whether I should risk driving it to the OPC - about 50 miles from me.

The car is on 87000ish miles and the multifunction display shows a service is due in 1000 miles. Car has full service history from a single OPC.

Many thanks in advance
john

Difficult fault without looking at the car im afraid ..

OPC .. hmm .. no Indys near you ? mainly as its going to be expensive on the labour rate .

Fault code check is obviously the first thing that needs doing .. that should point them in a general direction .

PSM light .. i would be leaning towards an air leak or a Maf fault BUT ..

Psm can be a totally seperate fault .. if they say its a brake servo fault then get me the fault code number as theres a totally seperate thing it can be than the servo and that is also nothing to do with the running fault.

Im going to have a wild stab in the dark here ..

i think it may well just be an ingition coil starting to break down .. if so there will only be a fault code for a misfire .

Please let me know what codes are found though , i cant help much atm but i might be usefull later if you are useing an OPC :)

Many thanks for the suggestions Demort. I am hopeful it is just coil packs...but let's see what OPC say. I'll try and report back with fault codes if I get them. Car is under warranty, so hopefully costs will be covered and my OPC uses a lower labour rate for older cars too, so...hopefully it won't be too painful.
Thanks again
John
:thumb:

Update

So, a quick update...

After nearly 6 weeks at the OPC :)o) I now have my car back!

Initial diagnosis was high pressure fuel pump. This fixed the cutting out issue, but car was still running rough. Throttle body was then replaced, but to no avail. Final decision was to replace the control unit and this appears to have solved the problems. I've done about 75 miles of mixed driving so far and all seems OK. :)

Final bill was just over £2000, but all covered by warranty, so that was a positive result.

Thanks to Demort for the suggestions - I never actually saw the fault codes.
Cheers

Thanks for replying ..

I think that was a tough one for the OPC , high pressure pump , throttle body and dme control unit ... plus 6 weeks .. i can imagine the head scratching and calls to technical on this car !

I would never have got to that fault on here but it would have been an interesting fault to work on .

Its fixed .. i hope

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back