Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Definitive exhaust question

Just by way of an update, I had a somewhat amusing email exchange with Gert. I set out his response below. I am going to go ahead with RSR mod of my Dansk mufflers and the motorsound airbox...will undoubtedly be loud! Will upload a video in due course. :grin:

"I have modified a lot of Dansk exhaust because people weren't happy with them.

Over the years, I made over 1500 sets of RSR.
+99% of the customers were happy with the sound.
<1% found it too loud , or too quite or had resonance.

For the latter, this is then caused by an engine problem (floating valve) or hyper sensitive hearing.
"

Sounds fantastic, Tobes! Are you happy with it...any droning at all?

Out of interest, did you ever work out what sorts of sports mufflers you had? I am not the most technologically minded person but will try to do a before and after too.

Yes, I'm delighted with it and I also went for Big Oval tips at the same time (did you spot that change?). I was surprised how good "before" sounded when I actually compared back-to-back, but still prefer the new ones. I was more aggressive on the "Before" revs.

I think the mufflers were own-brand jobbies from Design 911 - DesignTek. Allegedly not brilliant, but now with the Gert touch.

So the Dansk boxes have now been turned into RSRs by Gert (apparently they'll sound very similar to OEM boxes that have been RSR'd). Also had motorsound airbox installed - sounds like a demented animal above 4.5k revs.

Waiting for it to bed in fully (another could of hundred miles) before I upload a video. At present it is getting louder and developing more pops and bangs on lift off!

Major plus is that the car is so much more comfortable at motorway cruising speeds. Have also noticed that the engine seems to rev a little more freely but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part :grin:

Why does a new exhaust take time to settle in? What's the science behind that?

I'm not terribly technically minded, I'm afraid Toby...Gert said to give it around 700 miles to "open up".

I've had a quick Google and think its got something to do with the modified internals getting "coked up" (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=535447)

P.S. What I have noticed so far is that there are more pops and crackles now than when first installed around 500 miles ago. Perhaps someone who has had RSRs for a long time could confirm/tell me I am talking crap! :?:

When Gert fitted mine he said they "bed in" after a couple of hundred miles and indeed that was the case .... :)

I better take it for a run at the weekend, then!

Home mod.

I have just stripped out the Dansk back boxes, very surprised by what I found. There is a actually a through pipe similar to the turbo back box, but it has a little baffle inside, once removed (with the glass fibre packing) the exhaust now sounds great.

Attachments

• 0b5f45c2_d234_4d45_a26a_26813ee6d8c5_141.jpeg
    0b5f45c2_d234_4d45_a26a_26813ee6d8c5_141.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,169
  • 547580e5_1f71_49f1_86ea_2343c5d17018_115.jpeg
    547580e5_1f71_49f1_86ea_2343c5d17018_115.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 3,169
Very interesting to see the internals - Gert said that they were similar to a cat bypass in nature. So have you just done your own RSR mod on those Dansk boxes, Barryn?

The original baffle must have restricted flow a bit to attenuate the sound, this mod is easy to do and is definitely better than before.

41584036742_31623ae98c_b.jpg

41584035962_353df1bd8e_b.jpg

This is the finished product, OE heatshields are ridiculously expensive.

Attachments

• back_box_with_text_156.jpg
    back_box_with_text_156.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 3,101

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back