Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rams/bootlid for 996T

HSC911

My cousin has a 996T too

He is getting the spoiler light now and again.

Switches seem to be ok.

Anyone got a spare set of rams/bootlid :dont know:

Even if we can borrow it as he wants to come to Beaulieu with me in his car.

Alternatively, anyone got a fix so he can keep it up all the time :grin:

Worse case scenario...a GT2 wing/bootlid :floor:

:thumb:

I'd just suggest he bites the bullet and gets it fixed at a reputable Indie.

A 996 turbo is a relatively inexpensive to run, but they do spit up the odd larger bill which is part of owning such a great car.

Future buyers will question why relatively simple fixes haven't been done as it shows someone who could afford to buy it, but not to run it properly.

And yes I had to replace the spoiler rams on my 996 turbo.

Good luck and enjoy it.

g7jhp said:
I'd just suggest he bites the bullet and gets it fixed at a reputable Indie

:floor:

He owns and runs a garage :grin:

This is just short term so we can both drive down to Beaulieu together. Long term plan is to buy a new set up from Porsche :sad:

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

I see :D

The spoiler light coming on won't have an effect on how the car drives.

I had it coming on occasionally and then the spoiler finally stopped going up automatically and the night stayed on.

If it's stuck up or down it'll still be generating downforce.

In this case stuck up is better (as it'll generate greater downforce).

I'd just suggest he puts it up manually using the dash button and drives it.

Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

"I'd just suggest he bites the bullet and gets it fixed at a reputable Indie".

The nature of the failure of the rams is that there is little an indy can do to fix it
- replace microswitches is easy.
- source a used one from another car they took it off from when someone decided to fit a rear aerokit

There are some isolated reports of DIY fixes fitting new seals and hydraulic fluid but just watching them on YouTube its not easy and questionable how long it will last.

Apart from that, fixing leaking rams is usually a OPC replacement part or most roads ultimately lead to OPC replacement rams and mechanism.

There are some reports of people dismantling them and sending them away to Germany to have them repaired but no idea of price.

I removed my spoiler hydraulic system complete (leaving the microswitches with the car) and sent it to P-Speed in Germany back in January this year.
A comprehensive condition report and quote for work required was received a few days later.

The system was returned assembled, filled with fluid and bled ready to refit.
So far so good.

Cost of fixing/upgrading both rams was 751 euro. I was pleased that the pump was found not to require any work.

The report is below.

------ P-Speed Reprt ----------

General condition of the system:
The system seems to be from a car with little kilometres on the odometer (<+ 60.000 miles) and from an overall 'good" condition car above the average Turbo. Both, the little damage to the optics and the overall condition of the system would be a B grade. However, the failure of the spoiler system seems to be existing for a longer time.
Damage summary:
- Hydraulic lines OK
- Pump ok
- Ram 1 slightly leaking
- Ram 2 leaking
Pictures 1 to 4
They show how we got the system.
Picture 5 to 12
This pictures show the damage to both the rams. The right one is leaking for a longer period as there is already more fluid at the top. This is the ram which has not yet been replaced by someone else before. The bottom one is slightly less leaking, however, just a bit less. Also when de-installing the snap top mountings of both rams, there was debris from dried hydraulic fluid, which does not belong there in a normally closed system. Again, this is an index of the damage existing a little longer already, hidden from the outside to see. The hydraulic fluid at the top is the last stadium of a leaking damage.
Summary and general advice:
Your damage walkway looks as follows:
Leaking ram(s) à  system not reaching top dead centre à  Upper shut off micro switch is not triggered à  error message in the dash
The hydraulic is 1x leaking and 1x slightly leaking and should be changed /upgraded. The first ram is definitely completely broken. The leakage of the second ram is at the beginning. Nevertheless, it is already leaking (a little pregnant is impossible). We cannot guarantee that the second ram passes our stress test. As it is a stress test, it is most likely that it will fail completely. Your pump does not need to be upgraded as it is still working fine.
This leads to a repair order of
- Upgrading both cylinders 672 € (for both together including standard customer discount)

- Special tool for spoiler de-installation for free

- Filling and bleeding the pump, cylinders and lines 79 €

- Shipping to UK for free

- Printed installation manual with pictures and video for free

- Disassembling the pump and check for damage for free

- 3 day simulated test drive for free

- lifetime warranty on leakage

Total: 751 €

That's a post I will be bookmarking. Excellent value compared to a new set or the replacement electric rams available from the US.

The US solution would not appeal to me.
The Germany solution is cheaper than OPC - but no idea of cost I pump needs replacing.
The OPC solution is a complete new pump and hydraulic rams replacement I believe, so the example cited is not a like for like comparison as OPC do not sell individual rams solution.

At least the OPC solution has stood the test of time with many 996 turbo cars approaching 20 years and spoiler still working fine.

£800ish compared to £1200 OPC approx price is a no brainer to me.

Long term the OPC option has to be the one to go for if it was me if it's just a 400 quid difference.

We will bodge it and scarper for June 3rd and go OPC route long term.

:thumb:

cheshire911 said:
The US solution would not appeal to me.

What are your thoughts on it? Does away with the hydraulics and goes electric

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back