Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Totalled 996 advice please

best advice

Some of this advice might be a bit late but here goes my opinion.
whenever you have an accident take pictures of all angles, take video of conversation with other parties and most of call the police...they will ask you if anyone is injured just say yes! even if you have to make out you have hurt your neck or something say yes as they will not attend if no one is injured.
if you do all these promptly you will have all the evidence you need to win or defend your case!

if you have legal protection on your policy get in touch with them immediately

alex yates said:
I thought ALL Insurance companies gave you the buy back option if it's written off :dont know:

They can - but at quite a cost - as high as 30% of the market value meaning the policyholder will only realise 70% of market value. In practice few will offer the opportunity to retain the carcass and persuading them that you want it might meet with resistance.

This link explains it all:
https://www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/advice-on-retention-of-salvage.html

The message is clear - there seems little point in retaining the carcass.

Locktons has a much lower % retention if the policyholder want to retain the carcass - but many of their policyholders are on agreed valuation - whole different ball game.

Adding to what captain Lockheed said. The golf will also have recorded the crash data in the srs module. I'm not sure how you could go about requesting this info... but it will all be there.

Tell him you have dashcam footage, this may change his mind if you mention taking legal action

Thanks for everyone posting, yes the full pictures show me straight pulled in, him diagonally across the road. The problem is the outsourced claim handlers, plus not had a full picture from the other insurer, I half expect he has blamed it on the van but the other insurers sound like complete drongos so they may have heard not my fault from the kid and replied therefore your fault.
Submitted all pics and a description and diagram today, will chase on Monday and see where it leads, the underwriter would not want to pay out if obviously not at fault so might drop them a call, do you think a claims management company would help in this case or that adding a layer of complexity, how would a solicitor help?

Re: best advice

Eey_ore_9 said:
Some of this advice might be a bit late but here goes my opinion.
whenever you have an accident take pictures of all angles, take video of conversation with other parties and most of call the police...they will ask you if anyone is injured just say yes! even if you have to make out you have hurt your neck or something say yes as they will not attend if no one is injured.
if you do all these promptly you will have all the evidence you need to win or defend your case!

Couldn't agree more: These are all things I thought Of The day after yes, also a dash Cam would have saved me!

Sorry to read about this, it's deeply rubbish.

I'm so far beyond the event horizon of what's reasonable to have spent on my 996 that I'm debating a Locktons agreed value policy when my renewal comes up in August, and as part of that a dash-cam might make sense.

Oddly I don't really like the idea, although I sometimes run a camera on the bike - it's more likely to be used as a final witness in the event of my death rather than as evidence in an Insurance claim though.

Can a dashcam be run off the voltage that is supplied to the sun-visors?

Ha Ha, yes I can imagine! Yes it's 12v off the sunvisor so if you had a hardwire kit to take it to usb voltage that would probably be a neat solution. It's the current that might be the issue, a dashcam without a screen draws next to no current so that would definitely work plus be small, you can get ones to fit with 3m sticky pads around the rear view mirror mount. Looking at lots of Dashcams tonight...

In an ideal world it'd be practically invisible, turn on with the ignition and loop a recording onto one card, so you always have the previous (say) 8 hours of driving, and never have to change the card/turn it on/mess around with it.

I'll take a look now, and shall post if I find anything.

Do you think you'll get the car repaired?

Personally, if it were me, and this isn't advice, I'd be receiving a call this weekend from a guy walking along the hillside who saw exactly what happened and recognised my car, thus calling me to see if I was OK after the accident. I'd then explain to him the issue I'd had and ask if he would be a witness for Insurance purposes. Once he'd then accepted to be a witness I'd forward his details on to my Insurance company and let them sort the rest out.

Either that or the c**t you're dealing with would be getting takeaways delivered every night of the week at 3am for 6 months and his ***** house windows tanned with a ball bearing gun fortnightly!!!! :evil:

See how he likes been on the receiving end of a shitstick!!!!!!

asterix_the_gaul said:
Thanks for everyone posting, yes the full pictures show me straight pulled in, him diagonally across the road. The problem is the outsourced claim handlers, plus not had a full picture from the other insurer, I half expect he has blamed it on the van but the other insurers sound like complete drongos so they may have heard not my fault from the kid and replied therefore your fault.
Submitted all pics and a description and diagram today, will chase on Monday and see where it leads, the underwriter would not want to pay out if obviously not at fault so might drop them a call, do you think a claims management company would help in this case or that adding a layer of complexity, how would a solicitor help?

Forget third party claims companies. Go and see a good solicitor under the fixed fee initial consultation scheme and take it from there. Some even offer free initial consultation, but they may only take on a case if there is a good chance of winning and taking a slice of the award. Keep the solicitor out of a reward and pay for time only.

.....or just acquire a witness for free.

Witness / takeaway

alex yates said:
.....or just acquire a witness for free.

Agree totally with getting a witness to back up the actual events, it stinks that the system is totally against law abiding, Insurance paying, careful drivers, scrotes that think they the next Lewis Hamilton driving way beyond their skills need to be taught a lesson! Time to tip the scales of justice so that at least it a level playing field.

It sad situation that we should have to consider having in car video, recording journeys just on the off chance that some little ***** going to ruin our pride and joy or worse and will have a financial effect for many years to come!

Blood pressure rising just at the thought of the injustice! Really hope OP gets this sorted.

"Maybe I'm just nieve in today's world."
I don't think so, everyone wants to blame someone else, no one is ever in the wrong. Going through the same thing with my sons car, despite CCTV footage showing the other driver to be responsible the insurers are going 50:50, the easy option. His old Clio not worth anything near your 996 but he is so gutted, student so looks like mom and dad will be putting hand in pocket!
Take Guywilko's option :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back