Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie seeking some advice please

Counter Of Beans

Hello to the wise owls of this forum. First post from me, so be gentle!
I'm about to get my first Porsche; it's a 2011 gen 2 Carrera PDK, non-S, 2 wheel drive. I want to upgrade a couple of things, and could use a little advice please.
First question - I want to change the steering wheel from the current multi function with buttons jobbie to a Sport Design one. I've seen a 991 wheel on Fleabay, part number 991 347 803 86 A34 which I'm hoping is a 991.1 version that will retrofit to mine without problems. Am I right?
Second question - I will want a little bit more noise but am very conscious of the neighbours - I used to have a Monaro VXR and it sounded glorious but too loud really for suburbia! So I'm thinking of the Gundo Hack (i.e. PCW for £250 - a genuine PSE is silly money I think) and just wondered what you guys thought.....should I ask Paul to do that centre muffler thing too or is the basic Gundo enough? Rather subjective, sorry.
Third question - if the wheel above fits, I may well ask my local OPC (Portsmouth) to retrofit the Sports / Sports Plus package (I don't like the wart clock anyway). I believe it's around £600 but again, any views for or against? I'm a fairly sedate driver, so would it be a waste of money? The car doesn't have PASM nor do I want it, so it would just be nice to have the option to sharpen gear changes up if needed.

All opinions welcomed, cheers people.

:welcome: Mr Beans :grin:

What you had before :dont know:

Any pics of said car :camera:

:thumb:

Welcome.... the wheel will fit! I have just done exactly the same thing - the important code is the A34! On the exhaust from the PSE is nice but not that noisy.... as a retrofit i would say do not bother unless you 'have' to have it! There are cheaper solutions for a louder exaust!

Counter Of Beans said:
if the wheel above fits, I may well ask my local OPC (Portsmouth) to retrofit the Sports / Sports Plus package (I don't like the wart clock anyway).

Irrespective of whether the wheel fits, you should consider adding the Sports Mode software (adds the Sport / Sport Plus dash buttons) if you have a PDK car (but probably not worth it if you have a manual transmission).

Standard PDK is on the 'sleepy' side. Engaging Sport / Sport Plus significantly wakes it up, by a lot.

Sports mode also loosens the reins on the PSM, so you'll get more leeway before it kicks in.

HSC911, this is a pic very much like my old Monaro:
It's built in Australia and imported by Vauxhall (I know, I know) and has a thumping 6.2 litre Chevy V8 engine - sounds like thunder! But after a while the novelty wears off and you feel a bit of a tit driving it to Tesco.
I'm sort of on a mission to own and drive some interesting cars whilst I can - hence the Porsche. Truly iconic car, I think.
Thanks for the opinions so far folks, keep 'em coming!

Attachments

• monaro_150.jpg
    monaro_150.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,833
I'd start with the centre silencer and go from there. I've got the Sharkwerks bypass. I fitted PSE as I can switch it to suit, like the Wortec on the Monaro.

Hi and welcome :thumb:

Apart from what's already been mentioned, get it lowered on H&R, eibach or techart springs with 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers.

It will look and handle much better.

Good luck with your purchase and post pics asap :grin:

I had one of those too

monaro1.jpg

And one of these
vxr8sml.jpg

Welcome to the forum and to 911 ownership and the slippery slope of modding :grin:
991.1 wheel will fit plug and play on your 997.2 but a 991.2 wheel wont as if uses a slightly raised airbag thats different to the 997.2/991.1 airbag.

SPORT/SPORT+retrofit is well worth doing on a PDK car but is more like £800 unless you have got super friendly with Pompey OPC

Exhaust , personally I would fit the rear muffler bypass first either Haywood and Scott, topgear or sharkwerks . Topgear are a site sponsor and offer members 10% discount off the list.

other things to consider and maybe do first BMC oval air filters , nice induction note similar to a mild sports exhaust, adds a few bhp but the biggest gain is the cars breathes, revs more freely it will be the best £130/140 you spend on a gen2.

then if after the induction and rear muffler delete you want more then look at a pr of valved sports boxes , you then have the option to switch from driving miss daisy to hooli when you want. :thumb: this can be combined with 200cell cats if you want even more sound and added beans :thumb: :thumb:

look foreward to hearing more from you , and as your close to Portsmouth seeing you at one of the south central meets or at Simpley Porsche have a look in the meets section :thumb: :thumb:

Ah Magic919, that brings back memories (and hearing loss). I took my VXR to Monkfish up at Milton Keynes for a fair bit of work - it wasn't cheap, and I never really got to grips with the manual 'box on mine. It felt like it came from a tractor! And that was with a ripshifter too.
I'm glad I had a NA petrol V8 because they're a dying breed, and I'd still like to try a C63 AMG Merc, but like I said a 911 was next on the list.
I might hate it (test drives only scratch the surface)......we'll see!
Will investigate the Sharkwerks centre bypass, thanks for the tip.

Monkfish used to look after mine and the Promax part the 996. Shame they closed down.

I wasn't mad on the Monaro box, but only the VXR8 ended up needing a new one. I think the VXR8 was on gearbox number 3 or 4 last time I heard of it

I tried the 996 and that replaced the VXR8. Kept it a couple of years and changed to 997. That was over 5 years ago.

I was looking at E63 a while back, but couldn't bear the thought of losing the 997.

Check ebay prices against OPC for the wheel. I'm not sure they're that far apart (have been looking in case I buy a car without... It's a lovely wheel :)).

What colour did you buy? And have you bought from an OPC?

murph7355 said:
Check ebay prices against OPC for the wheel. I'm not sure they're that far apart (have been looking in case I buy a car without... It's a lovely wheel :)).

What colour did you buy? And have you bought from an OPC?

I made an offer on the one on Ebay so we'll see - but yes it does look nice which is actually the main issue for me (I'm not keen on the non-S multi function wheel's appearance). Mine's an Arctic Silver which I like because you don't have to clean it every five minutes (unlike black). And it's come from an independent dealer - I paid probably £5k less than an OPC would want. It might turn out to be a dog, but it's a 2011 with only 33k miles and three owners, with good history. Anyway I get it tomorrow so will take some pics in due course.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back