Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSS10's and RS Recaro's

ollster

Don't suppose anyone relatively local to Sheffield has a 993 with either RS style Recaro's or Bilstein pss10's and fancies meeting up. As they are both big ticket items I would it would be great to get a passenger ride in a car with these fitted before I take the plunge!

On the suspension side of things I'm thinking of upgrading from my mo33 setup which I have never got on with as it feels stupidly underdamped when pushing on, but I'm concerned about compliance as most of my driving is on peak district roads which are far from perfect. My current mo33 setup is under 4k old and front wishbones have been done along with gt2evo inner tie rods, several rear suspension parts, new engine mounts, fresh PS2's etc etc but I'm still not really happy with how the car rides or handles.

Koni FSD's are another option with my existing Mo33 springs and from what I have read I'm confident this will keep the compliance but I'm just not sure this will give me a significant leap dynamically over the current Monroe's.

Along with suspension I'm also considering either uprated or solid rear sub frame mounts as I have heard this is worthwhile.

In terms of the seats I currently have softback sports seats which I love, but my back is pretty knackered these days and ironically I seem to fair better in a harder seat with more support so am tempted to try to RS replica seats trimmed in classic grey to match the interior but want to make sure they don't cripple me!

My car has exactly that The seats are Hans Hahn replicas they have the same ribbed back as RS, unlike pole position which have a plain back. PSS10s are tunable to your preference.
The solid subframe mounts are not an easy job (It's getting the old ones out)
I wouldn't bother with the harder rubber ones (even more difficult to fit)
NVH will increase but not too much. Mine are Rennline just don't cross-thread the subframe bolts. I did mine by just dropping the subframes a bit and realignment is tricky with all that weight.
I find the seats just fine and I have a dodgy back after 45yrs at the enamel face. Hans does a wide version for those that need them, good vfm and look just like the pucka job. Do fit Recaro runners though as the Chinese made ones supplied are poor.
Unfortunately I'm not exactly on your doorstep and until I get this bl**dy abs sensor out the car isn't going anywhere.

Attachments

• hahn_seats_657.jpg
    hahn_seats_657.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,076
pss10 is a good all round solution. you have them full soft and enjoy all the comfort you have now and tweak them up to a level that your not feeling your in a bone shaker, but you will get the xtra performance your looking for.
stick with standard top mounts, unless your looking for the full on RS level experience.

I am just fitting a set to a C4S I recently bought which is on original everything, ride well but is like running in an old pair off slippers..

I have fitted a number of sets to all my recent cars and there a good all round solution , all be it there not the cheapest set up.

I think all the things you are contemplating are worthwhile (because I have pretty much done the same over the years 8)). I have PSS9 (set half way F&R), Rennline solid subframe mounts, Powerflex ARB and wishbone bushes, pinned tie rods, RS engine mounts and RS trimmed Recaro PPs. I find the ride is reassuringly firm but compliant, and handles the bumpy bits without too much drama. The seats were retrimmed brilliantly in RS leather by Southbound, with new memory foam bolsters and cushions, and are perfect for my short fat lad structure - I can drive for hours and get out without creaking or groaning (which I can't always say about my wife's Audi TT).
Sadly not close to you either, unless you're wandering around mid Wales anytime soon.

Attachments

• seat_1_142.jpg
    seat_1_142.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 3,029
Excellent, thanks for the responses, very helpful. Sounds like pss10's might be the ticket :D . I will probably stick to standard top mounts as i don't want to go much lower than sport ride height, I'm aware that when you get down to RS levels you really need to be fitting the proper rs hub carrier etc. (a slippery slope!)

Loving the seats, both the pole positions and hans hanhs look brilliant with the RS style covers. Can I be cheeky and ask roughly how much they both costs including runners side mounts etc. I'm guessing I would not get much change from 3k for either southbound trimmed PP's or imported HH's..

Endoman, i take it the HH shells are direct copies of the original proficshale p1's and the quality is good? I guess they are not FIA approved but do you know if they crash test them or anything?

Finally could I be extra cheeky and ask if you have any pictures with the seats all the way forward on the runners as I'm trying to see if I can still get away with using the car for family duties with my 4 year old who currently rides in the back in a booster seat :thumbs:

HH has not crash tested his seats and neither have I.
Ninemeister are making RS replica seats in carbon fibre and they have been tested and approved. Lovely but pricey. HH are probably the cheapest option.
I'll take a photo soon, it's a tight fit but my 6 foot 30+ daughter managed it. That's age not weight. The HH seats do not have the sprung seat base but I've never suffered from numb bum. Yes rear access is tricky but I have taken the rear seats out. We did do Le Mans 3 up once taking turns in the back not a lot of fun. Depends on the tilt you set the seat at but access will be about the same as an upright std seat.
I set mine fully back and reclined with a 30mm offset spacer on the steering wheel so my side is no go.

Attachments

• 9m_seat_451.jpg
    9m_seat_451.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,953
Glad to hear you haven't done any crash testing in them :eek:

Thanks for the info, sounds like my boy should be fine getting in just a bit more tricky for me to do his belt up!

Yeh I have seen the 9m seat project, I'm sure they will be impressive but probably more than the price of my 993 when I purchased it 8 years ago. I think their side mounts were coming in at over 1k for both seats.

ollster said:
Loving the seats, both the pole positions and hans hanhs look brilliant with the RS style covers. Can I be cheeky and ask roughly how much they both costs including runners side mounts etc. I'm guessing I would not get much change from 3k for either southbound trimmed PP's or imported HH's..

Not a bad guess on the PP's - about £1k for the base seats (s/h) and another £2k for the trim. Add a couple of hundred for the runners and you're about there. That was 5 years ago though.

And Endo's right about it being tricky to get access to rear seats (I've also taken mine out).

I've MO33s with FSDs, plus every part of the suspension being replaced at the same time. ....... So no worn bits anywhere.

I drive a lot on the super smooth roads of Spain twice a year on the Pyrenees twisties.

IMHO the setup I have is spot on for our shocking, bumpy underlating B roads, for super smooth Spanish roads, just a we bit too soft.

However, good or bad, i absolutely hated the setup until Center Gravity set it up correctly and for fast road for me. Until then even in the UK it felt too soft. Not now, she feels very compliant to me :)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=233&t=1537100

pss10,s and rs recaro,s

had work done at centre of gravity a couple of weeks ago . and had my first track evening at brands with the Porsche club last night . . kept the munroes as chris said there was nothing wrong with them .opted for the ebach pro sport springs. haven't had an issue with grounding out. and last of all mitchelin ps 4,s .the car felt good although I wasn't really pushing on

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back