Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP! Warning light Take To Workshop

Robertb said:
Ouch.

The angle now has to become how Jaz did not spot this when they did the PPI/bore scope 3000 miles ago, or what was it that happened to mean that it scored badly in such a short time.

Is the car back together and working again?

Yeh - thats MY point!!!! thats always been my point - i paid them to check for this and in their words ''all ok''.

Its back together now and they are testing.... who knows. Bit miffed if im honest.

Also what I can't get my head around is the more I read online the bigger the sway of opinions from OMG it's gonna cause the engine to blow up like a grenade, to yeh it might use more oil but maybe not and bar that you should be fine .....

Not having any experience of such things I'm kind dependent on the garage testing it for a few days to see what happens ...... unless anyone has any better ideas ????

Caveat: I know nothing

Have you read the full Hartech guide?
http://www.hartech.org/images/downloads/Hartech%20Engine%20Guide%20(interim).pdf

I note specifically, sadly:

Piston scoring takes place very quickly after a very small rise in oil temperature at the cylinder wall lowers the viscosity so much it cannot support the gap between the piston and the bores and the increase in friction sets off a vicious circle of events that in a few seconds destroys the surface of the piston and cylinder bore.

That can happen very very quickly, so it most probably was ok 3000 miles ago.

I very much doubt they passed that as ok - it's happened recently.

Dan - I can understand your quandry.....

Have to say comparing your recent borescope shots with the ones that I posted (that are for an 'ok' engine) there looks to be a marked difference. Am afraid yours look deeply scored.

Am not an expert, so cant say whether they happened recently. Have you got the photos from when they did the borescope when you bought it? They should show whether there has been a significant degradation.

In THIS fkking weather to !
When all you wanna do is drop the top and hit the country roads ....
Typical !!!
As I'm sure some of you will attest to - the sympathy levels among mates / colleagues are not high ! LOL

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Kingb4 said:
Dan - I can understand your quandry.....

Have to say comparing your recent borescope shots with the ones that I posted (that are for an 'ok' engine) there looks to be a marked difference. Am afraid yours look deeply scored.

Am not an expert, so cant say whether they happened recently. Have you got the photos from when they did the borescope when you bought it? They should show whether there has been a significant degradation.

No photos from their inspection all it said was small mark on No6 but all OK ! I dunno - pain in the arse!!!!

I'd hedge my bets at running 3 litres of oil down caused the scoring. What I want to know it how the hell it was 3 litres down in the 1st place without noticing a huge puddle on the drive, engine bay covered in oil, or smoke belching out your tailpipes????? :dont know:

3 litres is a Jeroboam. That's 4 standard wine bottles :?

911DG said:
Also what I can't get my head around is the more I read online the bigger the sway of opinions from OMG it's gonna cause the engine to blow up like a grenade, to yeh it might use more oil but maybe not and bar that you should be fine .....

Not having any experience of such things I'm kind dependent on the garage testing it for a few days to see what happens ...... unless anyone has any better ideas ????

Answered via email .

deMort said:
911DG said:

Answered via email .

Yes you did - super helpful, thanks!!!!!! By far the best description of what this Bore Scoring ***** is and what it means. Much appreciated.....

Howdie all,

Hope Everyone is well.

I've been on holiday and away for work so left the car in the shop and picked it up this week and thought I'd share an update as you were all so helpful.

Basically they replaced the 6 tappets and did an oil and filler change etc and then tested for a number of days and no oil loss and runs fine so......the answer is to at the moment to use it and monitor the oil and see what happens..... FINGERS CROSSED. :dont know: but seems OK??? 🙏🙏🙏

I thought to myself am I the only dude that Boots it every time I come off a roundabout on to a carriageway etc but I know that's ridiculous - we ALL DO right - that's what they are built for ???? I mean - I'm not about stop using it as I've always used them!!!

Anyway - we'll see!

Cheers

Dan

911DG said:
Howdie all,

Hope Everyone is well.

I've been on holiday and away for work so left the car in the shop and picked it up this week and thought I'd share an update as you were all so helpful.

Basically they replaced the 6 tappets and did an oil and filler change etc and then tested for a number of days and no oil loss and runs fine so......the answer is to at the moment to use it and monitor the oil and see what happens..... FINGERS CROSSED. :dont know: but seems OK??? 🙏🙏🙏

I thought to myself am I the only dude that Boots it every time I come off a roundabout on to a carriageway etc but I know that's ridiculous - we ALL DO right - that's what they are built for ???? I mean - I'm not about stop using it as I've always used them!!!

Anyway - we'll see!

Cheers

Dan

Glad it's ok for now!

You're completely correct, you have to drive it properly (once it's warmed up) to get the oil pressure up and lubricate the engine. If it's not using oil and running fine, drive it as you have been used to and enjoy it. You might need a rebuild at some stage, but then again which classic performance car doesn't need one at some stage in its lifetime?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back