Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

MC

Full details when you come to mount the cage please :mrgreen:

Particularly the front legs which I believe will need plates welded to the chassis to enable fitment :?:

coullstar said:
Yeah you can pressure wash all you like you cant remove them unless taking condensers off.
Im tempted to remove my condensers completely as Im not using air con and it would allow more flow to rads.

As a half way house I have modded my a/c to work with one condenser, the additional airflow that the rad gets without the condenser in place is significant.

Did you just get a simple pipe to connect the outlets on one side? Which side did you go for?
I like the idea of aircon and would leave everything there to reinstate it but Im not missing it so may as well reap some benefit from not using it.

I wanted it to be easily reversible.

I cut up an old condenser as I wanted to use the connection point I then added simple pipe work, pictures below.

I used the left side, my rationale, that rad looked the worse and there would be less for me to remove when I come to changing it! :grin:

There is also the train of thought that the left side picks up more debris as it runs closer to the kurb where all the cr@p gathers.

If you have meshed your bumper, which I have, I am not sure it would make a significant difference which side you used.

Attachments

• ac_mod1_117.jpg
    ac_mod1_117.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 6,247
  • ac_mod_2_206.jpg
    ac_mod_2_206.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6,247
  • ac_mod_3_192.jpg
    ac_mod_3_192.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,247
I like that a lot. If I can rescue the old condenser out of the bin in the morning I will look at doing the same.

MC

I've somehow missed loads of updates on this. Great work Martin.

That pic of the leaves is a compelling argument for fitting mesh. :eek:

Crash that's a great little mod. Its plain to see how much better airflow the rads get without the condensers in the way. I need my aircon for the planned use of the car.

Can one condenser keep temps low enough?

MisterCorn said:
WARNING. IF YOU DON'T HAVE MESH IN FRONT OF YOUR RADIATORS LOOK AWAY NOW.....

Standard compost between the rads if you don't have mesh to protect them. I had mine off today to inspect and clean, just needed a hand brush to clean some of the dust and small stones that had gathered, obviousl yi have mesh fitted for them to be so clean.

Looks like your sills were just about to start on the slippery slope, glad that you will be able to prevent this getting any worse. :thumb:

My train of thinking was..,

1)The condesors take air from the rad
2)The crap behind the condenser takes air from the rad
3)When the a/c is running the condenser produces heat which it passes to the rad.

Adding mesh to the bumper solves the debris issue, but the mesh then takes air from the condenser and in turn the rad. - I was previously told that the mesh can reduce airflow by 20% and the reason that only GT cars get mesh from the factory was due to the costs in the re-engineering to accommodate for the loss in flow. (Understanding that the cars need to work all environments)

I didn't want to completely lose the a/c so came up with mod. I looked for the dry bulb design temperature of the a/c system but couldn't find any data so took a flyer On the basis of the point Wasz raised, the system is designed to work in Texas, Dubai and the like so I accepted the trade off that I may lose some efficiency when the ambient gets high, but in return would get More effective engine cooling.

A decent test last weekend, drove to a trackday, a/c on, no issues with cooling the cabin when 25'c ambient.

Tracked the car and never saw the temp needle rise above the 0 in 80. - No a/c while on track can't afford to sacrifice the power :grin. - To be transparent I also run a centre rad and have a LTT, however I have no doubt that removing the condenser Is a significant factor to keeping the temp at the optimal level.

But then this goes back to the theory that you could over cooling the returning coolant and closing the thermostat enough for there to be hot spots in the engine due to the now restricted flow through the stat. The thermostat is in the wrong position in the engine from a design point of view so this needs to be considered.

I run a third rad and swear by one but Hartech don't recommend using one without the second thermostat to restrict the flow to the third rad. They did quite a bit of R&D to come to this conclusion.

Yep I read up on this, there is so much conflicting information it makes it difficult to know what to believe.

I use my car on track, hence my desire to lower temps, lots of guys in the US have completely removed the a/c without issue, as have some guys in the UK.
Personal choices I guess.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back