Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SportDesign paddle shift wheel for 987 Gen 2

flying_scotsman

Nurburgring
I contacted my local OPC (Leicester) to order a SportDesign paddle shift wheel for my Boxster Gen 2. Bad news - I'm told these are no longer available as the company that manufactures them for Porsche has folded. :eek:

Anyone on here have further info? There is clearly a demand for these wheels and I can't imagine Porsche not wanting to plug this gap.

robbiej said:
get a 991 or late macan wheel with paddles

As per my original post - the company that makes the after-market SportDesign steering wheels for Porsche is out of business. So there are none available for any Porsche models. Even if there were, new prices for 991/Macan are about 20% more than 987 wheels. And, looking on a certain online auction site, the only paddle shift SportDesign wheel (991) would not be compatible with a 987.

Is your 987 a gen1 or gen2 . the 991 wheels like the one in the link above will fit you will need the newer round airbag but would need that whatever you did and depending on whethers its a gen1 or 2 you will need the newer steering control module basically its the same as many of us have done to our gen1 997
also remember the parts guys at the opcs are not used to modders and only go on vin numbers have you actually asked them for a 991 sport PDK wheel as the 991 part number superseccded the 997 and 987 part numbers as it was the same part :thumb:

https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...mmunication/Steering-wheel-steering-column/22

Hmmm ... that eBay wheel is certainly the right part number for the 987 Gen2. But the seller's asking price - even though the wheel is new - is more than OPC price with my 10% PCGB discount. The "brand new" price which he quotes is >£150 more than Porsche list on their Tequipment web page.

flying_scotsman said:
Hmmm ... that eBay wheel is certainly the right part number for the 987 Gen2. But the seller's asking price - even though the wheel is new - is more than OPC price with my 10% PCGB discount. The "brand new" price which he quotes is >£150 more than Porsche list on their Tequipment web page.

Most have cottoned on to the rarity of the wheel and are capitalizing price wise. However most havent yet cottoned on to the fact these wheels (like the panemara one above sitting at 250) are all the same.

Panamera/Cayenne gubbins

997/991 gubbins

pic host

Agreed they are all the same , stop worrying it wont fit :thumb: :grin: the panamera one above would be my choice as they havent a clue what they are selling purely calling it suede and not Alcantara tells me that lol. it looks tatty but royal or linas would sort that in leather or a mix of perforated and alcantar whatever you fancy. :thumb:

Are those wheels really identical? They look the same certainly, but part numbers are totally different.

flying_scotsman said:
Are those wheels really identical? They look the same certainly, but part numbers are totally different.

I foolishly enquired at my local OPC for them to fit a 991 wheel to my 997.2- they told me it was the wrong part and wouldn't fit/work on a 997. I got home and fitted it myself the same day.

The part nos for 997.2 and 991 turbo are different but it's the same wheel. Be good for someone more knowledgable to clarify but 99.9% sure that wheels exactly the same.

Decided to go for the new wheel on eBay spotted by Magic919 above, and managed to haggle the seller down a bit on his asking price. He's also local to me so I'm collecting in person tomorrow.

flying_scotsman said:
Decided to go for the new wheel on eBay spotted by Magic919 above, and managed to haggle the seller down a bit on his asking price. He's also local to me so I'm collecting in person tomorrow.

Good to hear its sorted , just the airbag to find now . but for future readers of this thread YES they are all the same even thought some say 997 some 991 etc etc. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back