Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stop using window!!

Anyone get anywhere with this? I have the exact same issue n/s regulator.. been quoted August before I can open my window again... Checked ECP but am told the part wont fit 2006 997 C2S.

wilhud said:
Anyone get anywhere with this? I have the exact same issue n/s regulator.. been quoted August before I can open my window again... Checked ECP but am told the part wont fit 2006 997 C2S.

Who told you it would't fit?

This is the same ECP part no on carparts4less
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/492330591

The 997 regulator changed between 05 - 06 and some aftermarket sites don't seem to be aware. Just had an aftermarket fitted at second attempt! Rumour is that the company who supply Porsche and the better aftermarket retailers has gone bust.

My Pax window regulator went while on the trip to Dinslaken Sunday my Tech fitted a new one today and all is working well. He was told there are none anywhere except Porscheshop have two. So anyone needing one better get in quick as thats all there are anywhere until new stock arrives. :thumb:

Our parts guy mentioned something about july before the 997 window reg will be available :eek:

Edit ..

To confirm .. window reg and door panel it mounts to are different for the very early cars .. had one in the other day .

Q) what is the failure mode of these? i.e. what are the symptoms prior to failure?
My drivers side window seems to be getting slower in operation. I wonder if i'm about to suffer the same fate?
any way of preventing failure? apart from not using the window at all.

No real prior warning .. perhaps a wire grateing type noise... you certainly get that noise when it does fail !

Its a steel cable that normally fails .. rusts through .

If you have noticed its slower than usual then it might be on its way out .. or the runners might just need a bit of lubricateing .

Managed to get an aftermarket regulator today from Euro Car Parts. Still no Delivery date from Porsche.

deMort said:
No real prior warning .. perhaps a wire grateing type noise... you certainly get that noise when it does fail !

Its a steel cable that normally fails .. rusts through .

If you have noticed its slower than usual then it might be on its way out .. or the runners might just need a bit of lubricateing .

What would you lubricate the runners with? Is it easy to get the door card off?

All of mine became noisy before failure. Some made a crunchy sound instead of the high pitched scrape.

I've managed to pull the window up and get it into place with some grippy gloves on, when it failed in the down position.

Any aerosol with PTFE in it .. you need a can with the thin pipe on the nozzle then lower the window and spray a small amount so that it runs down the channels.

Not too much as it will end up smearing the windows .. no big deal but youll need to clean it off afterwards.

EDIT ..

The steel cable in the image is what rusts through , if a few strands break then you can hear a grateing noise as it goes through the rollers .

Attachments

• img_26111346283253_133.jpg
    img_26111346283253_133.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,453
My drivers window is noisy at the moment hence the lubrication question so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Its a difficult noise to explain .. its a steel cable made up of a lot of smaller wires .. some of these rust through .. break in other words .. when they go through the rollers they make a cracking grinding noise .. well kinda .

Basically if you have a noise then the chances are its on its last legs .

Without the door car and panel off your not going to be able to prove it and they do tend to fully break pretty quickly .

Lubrication may help if the window is slow .. its not going to help if you have any type of noise that hasnt been there before .

Anything new like a noise usually means theres a problem im afraid .

These days if a customer says something is different i belive them 100% even if i cant find a fault at the time .. you know your cars and something different IS a fault .

Thanks Demort, better get it booked in then as its under warranty.

Thanks Ian, since posting I have tried that and it has improved its action; no audible graunching noises so maybe its fixed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back