Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS PASM - 10mm or standard

baxster

This weekend I am driving a Gen 2 GTS PASM - 10mm car vs the standard suspension set up.
Having looked at them both online the additional lowering of 10mm on the standard suspension looks noticeably more purposeful with the -10mm looking to have too much wheel arch gap for my liking. Both cars are similar in spec with a few positives and negatives either way but the standard car does look very low at the nose so does this create problems for owners and how do you feel about the firmer ride? Nose lift is not an option on any of the cars.
If anyone has any good photos showing the wheel arch gap on the -10mm car I would love to see them as the dealer pics may have been taken on uneven ground.
Many thanks.

Right, so to double check you are looking at a standard Gen 2 GTS which is -20mm and another Gen 2 GTS that has the optional -10mm instead? Presume both are Coupe as standard on a GTS Convertible and Targa are -10mm.

I laboured over this one and went for the standard -20mm and also Axle lift. I was very worried about the ride as after ordering I realised I had messed up as I had tried a Convertible with 'standard' GTS PASM (so -10mm) and had therefore gone for standard on a Coupe, but that is -20mm. That was based on driving a Coupe and the Convertible GTS back to back to decide about the gearbox (Man Vs PDK). I felt the Convertible rode massively better, but put that down to it being run in whereas the Coupe was brand new. I was also put off the Coupe by the manual. After 3 years with PDK the positioning of the clutch and gearstick felt really weird to me. Plus I soon tired of the Auto blip, but I digress!

So I went for standard -20mm in some ways by mistake. The car is firm, but not choppy. It is stiff, but not crashy. I do tend to run the tyres in Comfort setting and even then usually knock an extra 1 or 2 PSI off all round as well. So TPM always says they are fractionally low. But it is fine. The car has a really nice gait and flows very nicely. I prefer it to my Gen 1 C4s which was -10mm as that 'floated' a bit. I've also got RWS so that may factor in. No PDCC.

There are speed humps near me and TBH I often forget to use the axle lift and have never had an issue with -20mm. Given the C4 GTS clears then I think my old C4s could have probably gone over them quicker, but I always slow anyway so no issue really.

There is a steep access ramp at work and if I go down that at anything more than a crawl it rubs the plastic strips where the C4S just cleared it. If I use Axle lift for that then it is absolutely fine.

Cant help with -10mm, but here is -20mm!

20.jpg

Apologies for the waffle. Not really what you asked, but it was a big deal to me post ordering as I was worried -20mm would spoil the car for me. Not a bit of it.

Here is a -10mm 991.2 GTS

BUtWukJ.jpg

34tm7Iw.jpg

I too considered the two suspensions for ages and decided on the -10 with the added control of PDCC (and RAS). I really don't think there is much in it either visually or in the handling, my car rides nicely and handles brilliantly - on a good road surface I put the chassis into sport and it's even better but too firm for town or poor surfaces, but at least I use that setting which I doubt I would on the -20mm. The ride on mine is a little more compliant than the -20, but the -20 is absolutely OK as other owners will confirm.

If I was ordering now I would choose the standard -20 SPASM but ditch the PDCC as I feel it doesn't add much to road driving - someone said somewhere that PDCC makes the suspension feel stiffer and I would agree with that - it certainly virtually eliminates roll so it corners on rails, but a little roll is OK and the -20 SPASM gives excellent body control anyway. Another thing is I would add the front lift, I have been in trouble in a couple of places up to now - speed bumps are mostly OK, but turning into entrances where the side of the road dips before the road slopes upward, also I would feel more secure getting on and off ferries which is tight without the lift.

Hope that helps - there is no wrong answer really as the Targa and Cabrio are -10 anyway with no issues reported by owners. Driving them both will hopefully help you decide. Have fun!

Thats great advice thank you both. Yes both are coupes.
Neither of the two cars I am looking at have axle lift and I need to get on a ferry in June so not sure how the -20mm will cope? Am I going to be smarting holding everyone up?

baxster said:
Thats great advice thank you both. Yes both are coupes.
Neither of the two cars I am looking at have axle lift and I need to get on a ferry in June so not sure how the -20mm will cope? Am I going to be smarting holding everyone up?

With care you should be OK on the ferry, it's the ramps getting on and off that can be tricky - driving onto them at an angle helps. If you've been on the ferry before you will have an idea what it's like - some are worse than others.

I thought the std drop on the C4 GTS was -10mm ? That's what it says on my spec sheet ??

I think -10mm was standard with the .1 but a no cost option was -20mm. With the .2 they swapped it so standard was -20mm but a no cost option was -10mm.

The '-' refers to standard Carerra height.

I've got a .1 with the standard -10mm and I'm happy with it. I frequently catch that on slopes (I think (hope!) it's the mini splash guards behind the wheel arches). I'm glad I don't have -20mm from a pragmatic view but the car does sit and look much nicer with it. Front axle lift wasn't an option on the .1 GTS

Ahhh, cheers

On my spec sheet it says -10mm so looks like the first owner moved away from the standard -20mm and went for the no cost option of -10mm.

I didn't even know there was the choice but looks like I got lucky because -20mm may have been too severe for the speed humps locally.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back