Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

82mm throttle body and IPD plenum

rob_p

Suzuka
Hi all
I am thinking about some more power for 3.6 carrera.
The obvious area seems to be the 82mm throttle body and ipd plenum.
I would be interested to hear of any real world experiences - both the install and the benefits post.
I have tried 200 cell cats and didn't like them so I am reluctant to team this up with a 200 cell sports exhaust. They were just too loud for me (I do have gundo rear boxes which maybe didn't help).

Also - best place to buy? Design911 are quoting £920 for the kit - does that include everything I wil need?

Thanks in advance.

Fitted the IPD and TB to my Gen1 3.6 .you will need a remap as well to see the full benifits it was one of the two big power gains I had the other was 200cell cats. What you will notice is the way the IPD and remap change the power delivery in the curve so theres more in the low mid range which is where you want it for a fast road car. The kit comes with the thicker silicon hose from the airbox. I am assuming you already have the BMC sports filter and induction hose with res delete cap.
My only concern is you not running with sports cats as the theory of more air in and quicker gas out = More BHP, I am not sure if you will see all the benifits I saw .
It might be better if you spent your money first on valvetronic boxes and 200 cell cats the sports boxes do give a smoother note than the gundo which can be a bit of a harsh note.
this is only my opinion as I had the exhaust done beore the IPD

I have also got sports exhaust and IPD on my gen2 but its a totally different set up to the gen1. :thumb:

I've read too many mixed reviews on the 82mm throttle and ipd plenum. I planned to fit both to my 3.9 but after talking to Wayne Schofield at chipwizards who has spent a lot of time mapping theses he has not seen them actually make more power.

Rob - I have 200 cel cats on my car. The first set I fitted were Dansk 200cel cats and they were very loud and metallic sounding and I was not keen on them. I then replaced them with modified standard cats by Carnewal. They cut open the original Porsche cats and replace the cores with 200 cell versions. Because the original cat canisters are quite large (compared to most aftermarket options) they are not much louder than standard when the cores are swapped from 600cel to 200cel, but you will notice the engine rev easier especially above 5krpm. I highly recommend the Carnewal modified OEM 200 cell cats. The other option is Cargraphic 200cel cats which again use a larger canister so not too loud, but they are a lot more expensive.

Thread hijack

Krispe, details on the 3.9? Thoughts on the Performace increase? BHP and torque figures?

Cheers :thumb:

rob_p said:
Hi all
I am thinking about some more power for 3.6 carrera.
The obvious area seems to be the 82mm throttle body and ipd plenum.
I would be interested to hear of any real world experiences - both the install and the benefits post.
I have tried 200 cell cats and didn't like them so I am reluctant to team this up with a 200 cell sports exhaust. They were just too loud for me (I do have gundo rear boxes which maybe didn't help).

Also - best place to buy? Design911 are quoting £920 for the kit - does that include everything I wil need?

Thanks in advance.

I have the Eurocup plenum and 82mm tb and I did notice definite gains on my 3.8, it was one of the best mods I have made other than 200 cel cats that made a noticeable difference just making the car feel less restricted. Fitting is easy enough the only real issue is the access so you might lose a knuckle and watch the airbox the metal / plastic ring that the intake hose fits to is extremely sharp, but it's not a long job to complete.

crash7 said:
Thread hijack

Krispe, details on the 3.9? Thoughts on the Performace increase? BHP and torque figures?

Cheers :thumb:

To be honest i can't say I noticed that much difference in performance between the original 3.8 to 3.9 rebuild and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for a standard 3.8 rebuild. Especially as I am now looking at rebuild no.2.... :frustrated: :sad:

Thefinn said:
I have the Eurocup plenum and 82mm tb and I did notice definite gains on my 3.8, it was one of the best mods I have made other than 200 cel cats that made a noticeable difference just making the car feel less restricted. Fitting is easy enough the only real issue is the access so you might lose a knuckle and watch the airbox the metal / plastic ring that the intake hose fits to is extremely sharp, but it's not a long job to complete.

Did you have the car remapped afterwards?

It was on the to do list but then I changed cars so I didn't with the old car but will when I fit them to my new 997 once the warranty is up. I still felt gains though without the map as long as you disconnect the battery the car adjusts to the larger unit.

Thanks for the responses.

There is quite a price difference between the ipd and eurocup solutions.
The ipd solution (with throttle body) is just over £1,100 from design911 and the eurocup is just over £600 (with throttle body) from eurocup themselves.

£500 is quite a chunk - anyone got any thoughts?

In my mind I had kind of assumed that the throttle body was what made the big difference....??

The IPD unit has dimples on the inside which are claimed to make create a form of turbulence which increases flow / power somehow but I don't think it ever actually been proved but it just their design. The Euro cup one is like all other carbon parts so is smooth on the outside and has the carbon weave on the internal surface but as you have said the plenum is really just a larger pipe for the tb to fit to and this is the part that will make the difference. The IPD one might make a slight difference if their marketing is to be believed to someone track driving on the edge chasing lap times but to 99.9% of people I doubt it makes much difference imho. There are also other manufacture out there mainly in the states but if you look at the different plenums they are all basically just a pipe and mount for the tb, I think even one of the lads on the forum makes them.

I can't say that my car made more power when I fitted it as I didn't dino test but it just felt less restricted as breathed easier and for me was a worth while mod.

Rob, It not about how much more BHP you have at the top end its about how and where the power is delivered in the power curve , this is the reason you read mixed reviews about all these types of mods, as depending on what you using the car for will depend on whether its works for you . eg fast road car will ideally see the biggest gains in the low mid range as thats mainly where you will use them , whereas a track beast is looking for the power in a different part of the curve.

Again someone using the car on the track would ideally go for the carnweal option of cats as they want the gains but not the sound as tracks have Db noise limits, whereas a road car driver may want to have an increased deeper more purpose full sound . So as I say its about understanding what you want from the car and seeking out the advise from someone who is using it for similar a purpose other wise you end up with so many differing opinions you just end up confused.
Guys on here will always try and help and offer advice based on their experience but what you need to do is know whether that info is what you need for your application. So it may help to be more specific about what you want and what you are looking to try and achieve. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil.
In terms of application I am a B road hooner. Not terribly interested in top of the power curve etc therefore, some more grunt lower down sounds just fine to me.
In terms of what I am looking to achieve I am just trying to give my car a little refresh and apply a few tasteful or pupseful mods. Car is very much my P&J and I like to tinker a little bit - all part of the pleasure of ownership for me. I like mine to be a little bit different to standard.

I've had the car 5 years so just looking to pep things up a little.
No more than that really.

My car is a 3.6 so always fighting back the thoughts of should I have got an S a little bit - a few more horses never hurts therefore.

On the last post I am wondering whether the £500 differential for the plenum is money down the drain. Sounds like it might be!

Rob, I have never tried the carbon Euro cup one , I have been told the interior finish of the carbon is rough but never heard anything bad about them as an application. I can only comment on my findings with the IPD on both my gen1 and 2 . the IPD is a nice looking thing and does do what it says on the can.
my 3.6 gen1 with the sports exhaust, 200cell cats , IPD tb/plen, BMC air filter induction mod, 4" underdrive pulley , and a remap was quicker than a stock 3.8 gen 1 . on fast road driving as all the gains were low mid range. :thumb: :thumb:

throttle body

One of my new best friends from the club is convinced that the 82mm GT3 throttle body is a great mod, for more torque and response in the mid range. It seems just about affordable without the IPD intake plenum. Any thoughts as a standalone?

I'm tempted by a remap too, to smooth the power and torque curves, but it would of course take multiple runs (before, during and after), and that's probably the best part of a day.

Max, I cant comment on doing just the TB and not changing the plenum , but I do suggest a remap as a few of the things I have done have highlighted that the ECU is capable of relearning certain paramiters but some of these mods take it beyond those paramiters then it cant compensate properly most noticable recently after fitting the fabspeed carbon performance induction kit. when just normal town driving it seemed fine but as soon as I pushed it on clear roads it started to run lumpy in low revs, got it checked and both sides O2 sensors were showing a fault this had to be on induction as it was on both sides so even though the car had already got a remap on it this needed retweaking to allow for the increased cold air coming in and the ecu not being able to get the mix right. I have since doing this read that any induction mod more than just a sports panel filter eg BMC etc.in the OE airbox needs to have a remap to go with it as the values change to much for the ECU to compensate.

I have added this pics so you can see the fabspeed kit but also the IPD , for the gen2 its slighly different shape than the gen1 IPD unit top two pics are gen1

Attachments

• img_2610_188.jpg
    img_2610_188.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 4,886
  • img_0513_985.jpg
    img_0513_985.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 4,881
  • 9car_182.jpg
    9car_182.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 4,881

New Threads

Forum statistics