Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WTD - 996.2 GT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyM

Folks,
I'm looking for a 996.2 GT3,

My wish list:

Not Silver or Red
Not modified
Less than 30,000miles
A/C
PCCB
Buckets
Half Cage

There are a few Dealer cars up at the moment that fit but prefer to buy direct from a long term owner if possible.

Cheers

and a unicorn's head for a bonnet mascot....

In my experience the early PCCB's don't wear that well - I'd stick with steels which will also open up your choice of cars.

Surprised you don't want a red car - Guards Red and Speed Tellow are my favourites on the 996.

Hmm...Red being banded with Silver?

I think the point an earlier poster made is that there are not many cars of the spec you mention around or come up so easily. The cars which hang around in the classifieds tend to be the less in demand colours, higher mileages, non buckets, etc.

But, if one does pop up then you have to move quick or compromise on one of your requirements.

Anyway, good luck with the search. There are a few around.

I agree it is a tall order but that's what a wish list is for, I can but ask.

Sorry to offend those with Red cars, I've just never been a fan on any car for some reason. Speed Yellow though would be great.

No offence taken. It's a personal thing.

It is just rare. Most people tend to want bright or non bright colours.
Anyway whatever works for you.

I'd love a speed yellow. An itch that never got scratched.

LaSource said:

Just for context, the launch colours were red and yellow (promotional stuff and the like), the manual picture is yellow, the UK press car was red and the most popular car colour in the country at the time by far was silver. With the 996.2 you could have it black, Carrara white, Guards red or Speed yellow for free and everything else was a cost option, however it was back when white was the opposite of fashionable so as a result of that most of them are red, yellow, black or silver in UK spec.

Ones to look out for for the OP if not black or yellow would be Cobalt blue, Seal grey or Atlas Grey. Other colours are essentially in the realm of only one or two UK cars built and not worth holding out your hope for.

Good hunting :thumb:

Footnote - I don't have an exact break down for the UK, but in the US almost a third of them were silver, over a fifth black about 1 in 7 yellow and a 10th red - over 3/4 of them being one of those 4 colours. In the UK I would say that anecdotally we have more black and fewer yellow in our blend.

Disco said:
LaSource said:

Just for context, the launch colours were red and yellow (promotional stuff and the like), the manual picture is yellow, the UK press car was red and the most popular car colour in the country at the time by far was silver. With the 996.2 you could have it black, Carrara white, Guards red or Speed yellow for free and everything else was a cost option, however it was back when white was the opposite of fashionable so as a result of that most of them are red, yellow, black or silver in UK spec.

Ones to look out for for the OP if not black or yellow would be Cobalt blue, Seal grey or Atlas Grey. Other colours are essentially in the realm of only one or two UK cars built and not worth holding out your hope for.

Good hunting :thumb:

What white offered in the UK? In both mk1 and mk2?
The only white cars I've seen have been LHD ones...though as you say may be because of fashion at the time.

Mind you, I think a white mk2 would struggle a bit on the used market in standard guise unless suited and booted to look like a cup car...in which case it would be pretty cool :)

LaSource said:
What white offered in the UK? In both mk1 and mk2?
The only white cars I've seen have been LHD ones...though as you say may be because of fashion at the time.

Indeed - I've only seen one white one personally. Ironically it only became fashionable after the 996RS came out, but the thing was that back then if you wanted an RS then you called your dealer and ordered one so nobody was after a 996.2 in white until after they stopped making them. Unless you are in America, where supposedly 9% of them are white, perhaps because the RS wasn't officially sold there from new (due to type approval on the cage and plastic rear screen I believe, but don't quote me on that). Before the RS, white was the colour of poverty over here and the only people who drove white cars were those too tight to pay extra for silver... :dont know:

Another footnote - Carrara White is the only colour which has been available on every GT3 ever offered (though it was an afterthought on the 997.1RS and they charged the full PTS price for it even though it was no cost on the non-RS and earlier cars. From then on there have been a few where you had to go PTS to get it, so someone at Porsche knew free money when they saw it). There is another white though and I think that there is a single UK 996.1 in Biarritz.

Theres a list on Pistonheads (think its in the 996 GT3 thread) that had peoples colours and main spec but its over a year old now.

Theres a few White ones in the UK, (ie you can count on one hand) but one or two of them have 'history'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back