Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster or Cayman

p0jy

Hi there

Ive been chatting in the 997 section and one of the members suggested that I consider a Cayman or a Boxster.

Having had a quick look on autotrader I've seen a few privatley owned Boxsters with decent mileage for say £8/£9k and Caymans start at around £13/14k.

What are the pros and cons apart from the price and the soft top etc.

I'm not a huge fan of having a convertible but then the Cayman is quite a bit more and I could probably afford a Boxster sooner rather then later. My ultimate dream is to have a 997 but thought I would consider a lower marque to get me into the Porsche world!

All feedback welcome and Hello there!

Having owned a few 911's I wouldn't call the Cayman a 'lesser' model.
Mid engine gives you go kart handling and to me the lines are just lovely.
I am not regretting the move.

What's not to love :dont know:

:hand:

You'll learn :grin:

Unless you need 4 seats Caysters are more porsche than the 911's which are growing more and more into GT cars with every generation :judge:

The total cost of ownership will be the same boxster v cayman it just depends how much capital you have to tie up in the car. Unless you want a convertible you are probably better off with the cayman but the platform was designed ground up for a convertible so unless your a driving god there is no performance benefit just less to go wrong with a tin top.

As always you can't beat getting a test drive to find out for yourself what they are all about.

Chief indeed no Porsche is a lesser model.

They are different models for different folks with different tastes and or needs and and thats that.

One of my girley mates has a boxster 2002 with 1000,000 on it.
Paint work is still pristine and its kept outside all year round.
The inside shows little wear other than obvious general use, and still has that Porsche new smell.

How does that happen does anyone know?

Girls don't fart. Known to degrade interiors, especially the loss of new car smell

Beyond chuffed with my Cayman, so much so that I couldn't let it go on finding out the news I'll be needing rear seats come end of September. Check out my ownership thread, a lot of the buyer guide items are the same across all three cars of the 997/987 era.

I was looking at the same as the op to get back into a Porsche, I initially was looking a boxster 3.2, but wanted a decent 3.2 987 in a good colour, but the spec I wanted were 10-12, Cayman's like you found were a bit more again, so I was umming and erring then a decent 996 came up close to me which was at cayman money so I jumped at it, it checked out and a deal was done!
If the right cayman or boxster had come up in striking distance I might have gone for one of them, just be aware of potential engine issues and get a ppi or at least someone who knows what they are looking for to check it out for you. I dodged a bullet at some expense on a cheap boxster: if something is not right engine wise don't part with good money

Boxster or cayman

Thought I'd offer my two penneth worth I had a 2001 boxster s and a 2001 996 loved the boxster enjoyed the 911. Sold them both then spent two years searching for another .....boxster s. Last October struck lucky bought a fantastic 2001 (51) boxster s that had money spent on it new roof glass window ceramic ims new clutch 72000 miles in my favourite black for the princely sum of 7000 best money I've spent for a long time forget the 911 buy a boxster. Others will disagree but to my mind my boxster handles better than my 996 ever did. And what's more my little darling loves it where she didn't the 911, so win win for me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back