Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen2 Oil

Geezer 911 said:
Morning all.

After a long drive I have recently done in the car I checked the oil on the computer and for the first time since own the car the oil is showing just under minimum level.

If I was to wait a a couple of weeks and get a full oil change am I doing any damage by not topping up? If I topped it up how much should I put in?

2nd question: my car is at 53k miles when I change the oil what should I use.? My is a daily usually short- medium journeys.

Thanks

Not sure what level your oil was before your long run, but I would not even start my car below minimum oil. If it were me I would top up to max bar (even if you are changing the oil in two weeks).

53k miles - I would use Millers NT+ 5W40, especially if it is a 997.1 (just my opinion ofcourse!)

60-70k miles switch to Millers NT+ 10W50 - (that is my plan anyway, and my car is at 57k miles now)

(If you are changing oil in two weeks, you probably don't need to top up with such an expensive oil, just yet)

Poker2009 said:
Geezer 911 said:
Morning all.

After a long drive I have recently done in the car I checked the oil on the computer and for the first time since own the car the oil is showing just under minimum level.

If I was to wait a a couple of weeks and get a full oil change am I doing any damage by not topping up? If I topped it up how much should I put in?

2nd question: my car is at 53k miles when I change the oil what should I use.? My is a daily usually short- medium journeys.

Thanks

Not sure what level your oil was before your long run, but I would not even start my car below minimum oil. If it were me I would top up to max bar (even if you are changing the oil in two weeks).

53k miles - I would use Millers NT+ 5W40, especially if it is a 997.1 (just my opinion ofcourse!)

60-70k miles switch to Millers NT+ 10W50 - (that is my plan anyway, and my car is at 57k miles now)

(If you are changing oil in two weeks, you probably don't need to top up with such an expensive oil, just yet)

Thanks for advice.

The car is a Gen 2

I regularly check the oil, it was full level before journey.

I will go buy some oil and give it a little top up.

Magic919 said:
No way a Gen 2 can go from full to low in one journey.

Sorry I have confused everyone with my question, the oil is not empty the computer is showing the oil the bar is is 3 quarters full.

i should have said that first

:?

Ok i'll bite

Whats the logic for using a thicker oil than spec as mileage increases? Mines at 62k miles, 10k since last service, had standard oil all its life and never had to add a drop. I can see why you might do it if you're topping up all the time, but otherwise it makes no sense to me

pcat said:
Ok i'll bite

Whats the logic for using a thicker oil than spec as mileage increases? Mines at 62k miles, 10k since last service, had standard oil all its life and never had to add a drop. I can see why you might do it if you're topping up all the time, but otherwise it makes no sense to me

Thin oil is fine when the engines are new.

20k+ miles 5W40
60k+ miles 10W50

And oil changes every year and/or 5-6k miles.

(My opinion ofcourse!)

/\

What the man said, 0w40 is an extremely thin oil and my theory is its too thin once an engine wears in abit.

The weight's aren't massively different between 0 and 10, Remember its only cold and warm viscosities, But the difference in my Gen 2 made the difference between seeing oil consumption, to removing it entirely with the change of oil grade.

Tolerances within the engine change over mileage, Thicker grade fills the spaces - thin just leaks through/burnt easier.

I also think a thicker grade works better with ageing oil air separators, more dense oil mist etc.

I may be talking BS, but that's what i reckon goes on. The rest is wizardry :lol:

neil_911 said:
I may be talking BS, but that's what i reckon goes on. The rest is wizardry :lol:

I have either wasted quite a lot of money on oil over the years, or the engine will go on for longer than most. Time will tell if it pays off i guess..

This is good timing as I need to buy a new batch of top up oil. I'm trying to find a 5w or 10w Mobil 1 Oil, however there doesn't appear to be much available. Has anyone got some recommendations on where I could get some?

Mobil 1 5w50 should be widely available and is approved by Porsche for the 997

I use Mobil 1 5w40 in my 997 with 390000 miles on it.

Change it more regularly than the recommended, may be over kill but whats a few quid spent on extra oil which should help with any wear over not changing it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back