Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

alex yates said:
wasz said:
The mountain bike bearings is an interesting one.

They fit ball bearings to remove any stiction in the movement of the suspension. This gives the best ride out of the box, and in the shop floor bounce test, but of course they wear out quick and rust up. This means they can sell you another one in a couple of years.

Why don't they just use rubber like on motor bikes and cars? Surely that'd give the best ride :dont know:

Problem with ball bearings in a static position with a load on them creates pitting in the bearing race (seen in the photo below) and thus creates stiction........and ultimately failure. As for the mega poor quality bearings I see fit on these bikes - no comment.

photo_02.jpg

Totally agree with this... the bearings in the headset (the bit that attaches the forks to the frame) of road bikes constantly wear, corrode and pit. The movement is quite low, most of the time its straight ahead, or minimal left-right. Doesn't need a bearing race.

Interestingly the Function First shift-right kit uses ball bearings.

Add me to your list Alex, i've watched your vids and really impressed with the resuts. I fitted an eBay SSK a couple of years back which was ok but the excessive play really lets it down.

Robertb said:
Interestingly the Function First shift-right kit uses ball bearings.

I had looked a few times at the FF shift right kit and had even gone as far as emailing them. then I heard about Alexs fix for Osh in another thread and thought it sounded like the perfect fix. then it was discussed again in several threads which made me know I needed this fix in my life . Then this thread started and it looked like Alex was going to make a few sets for sale and I jumped on it.
Mine should be with me in the morning :thumb: :thumb:

Just replaced my eBay SSK with one of Alex's modified versions and it's a noticeable improvement with crisper feel, more precise.

I loved my original standard eBay version but on occasion when warm it became tricky to select reverse and over a year of use I became more aware of increased play in the lever, I managed to shim some of the movement out but it's not until you look at Alex's upgraded version (or his video clips) that you see what the problem is.

If anyone is upgrading a standard 996, the difference will be night & day, you'll love it and keep sneaking out for a drive.
Easy job to fit, allow a couple of hours if it's your first time doing it, I did mine in less sitting the the drivers seat in the pouring rain yesterday.

It's a double thumbs up from me. :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you kind sir. :worship:

Hi Alex,

Like most forummers I hold you in very high regard, you are the resident site guru for a straight-forward northern answer to any technical or engineering question.

Now I have the sycophantic fawning out of the way......could you improve my crappy ebay shifter too?

I will happily come over to see you - if only as an excuse to get the C4s out!

Pete

Not a problem :thumbs:

911munKy said:
Just replaced my eBay SSK with one of Alex's modified versions and it's a noticeable improvement with crisper feel, more precise.

I loved my original standard eBay version but on occasion when warm it became tricky to select reverse and over a year of use I became more aware of increased play in the lever, I managed to shim some of the movement out but it's not until you look at Alex's upgraded version (or his video clips) that you see what the problem is.

If anyone is upgrading a standard 996, the difference will be night & day, you'll love it and keep sneaking out for a drive.
Easy job to fit, allow a couple of hours if it's your first time doing it, I did mine in less sitting the the drivers seat in the pouring rain yesterday.

It's a double thumbs up from me. :thumb: :thumb:

Great review mate, mine is being fitted as I type this and the drive to Dinslaken Germany will be my first test of it :grin: :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• img_2691_157.jpg
    img_2691_157.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,882
Short run around the block just to test it. bloody lovely no slop , short rifle action gear shift. Felt so much better than the SSK with plastic bushes . I am going to love this mod with my new Knob , thanks Alex :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:worship:

Thank you Phil. Have a great time at Dinslaken........and keep that rifle action knob where it belongs.........nudging AIB chicks :wink:

Hi Alex,

You have a PM. :thumbs:

Responded.

Is mine ready yet? :lol:

rhino-man said:
Is mine ready yet? :lol:

I'm on it. Half way through and just waiting delivery of some more Phosphor Bronze for the outer bushes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back