Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pressure warning - hot weather?

Goodstuff. Better to be safe than sorry. Best of luck. :thumb:

.. and yes, this years summer is probably half gone now, being yesterday and today. :grin:

cvega said:
Thanks.
Getting a trailer arranged and having it investigated.

Of course it had to happen when weather turns to summer :D :D :D

DAMN OLD CARS!
I had the same suspicions with a 996 C4, I bought a port extension for the sender unit with an extra port in the side to fit a capillary and mechanical gauge, I left the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment but made regular comparisons at idle with the dash gauge, my findings were that the dash gauge was reading low due to a lazy sender unit, the pressure relief valve is right on the back of the engine and easy to replace if need be, I'm not back in the uk till Monday but PM me and I'll send you the kit for the price of the postage you will need a crows foot spanner and 6" quarter drive extention to fit it

Many thanks for your offer Davie - I'm getting the car picked up tomorrow to get investigated by Auto 2000 in bedford. I have other small jobs to be carried out so it makes sense to do it all together (if the engine is not on its last legs in which case Hartech it is).

Well, car's been looked at and oil pressure looks good, no metal in oil filter, theory is that thin oil + hot weather + leggy engine = spurious oil pressure warning. Sender and relief valve ok. Putting 10w60 in it to see how it goes along with some MOT related jobs.
Hopefully she'll live another year before a rebuild is needed !

Just a question on this in general what should the normal oil pressure be showing on a 911 gauge when at idle or even when at 3000 rpm driving for that matter

When hot I'm 1.8 ish bar idle, 4.2 ish when cruising at 2800 rpm on the motorway. 0w-40. 112k miles.

Great news!

Yep stick a thicker oil in and see how you go.

The cars are run in Dubai, but yours has 142k on it so there is going to be wear in there.

As agreed with your Indy go with the thicker oil and forget about it unless you get more bother. :thumb:

Just something to add re the oil pressure for all cars ..

Turn the ignition on , does the gauge read 0 or 0.5 ? it should read 0 or there is a fault with the sender unit .

I jumped into a car today for a misfire fault .. first thing i saw was oil pressure at 0.5 engine NOT running :)

:thumb:

Good tip Demort. One of our mates cars does exactly this. His hot pressure is always half a bar higher than mine as a result.

well, car is back and drives and feels fine :)
MOT fault is fixed, and alternator voltage regulator replaced, as well as very rusty brake pipes.

Now onto Gundo hack in June and some new tyres (Uniroyals really suck for this car - so soft sidewalls!)

In the oil story we're running thicker oil and i'm watching pressures closely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back