Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 front diff removal

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
My C4 has developed a leak and a rumbling from the front diff, would it be possible to remove the front drive altogether and convert the car to rear wheel drive.

If the above is possible will this throw up issues with PSM and if so is there anyway around them.

Yes it is possibly as I will be doing this with mine. 911Tom has a fantastic price one for sale at the moment if it fits. If not I will be removing the diff from my 99 C4 in the near future and it will be for sale if you are interested.
Not sure on the PSM. It doesn't control the diff at all so I would be suprised if it mattered, but then I have been suprised before.

MC

Thanks for the heads up MC, I like the idea of converting to rear wheel drive, although the car is road legal it is mainly for track use so weight lose and rwd ticks the boxes I just wasn't sure if it would mess with the psm.

Removing the front diff will not cause any issues with the psm etc. As mc says there is not electronics to the front diff. I'm running rwd on my turbo.

Brilliant chaps and thanks for the links, I'm going to sit and have a read through them just now.

I did hear the rumours around the GT3 shell and the C4 shell

Drew1209 said:
Brilliant chaps and thanks for the links, I'm going to sit and have a read through them just now.

Not a rumour, it is fact AFAIK.

MC

Well had a good read of things last night and today I got the car over the pit to see what's involved, doesn't look difficult at all so on my next day off it's getting converted.

So rear wheel drive and the C4 chassis is a winner then. Happy days

Well it's all out, not to difficult at all I've still to split the cv joints so I can get the shaft back into the hub then we should be good to go. Gin time now though.

Running rear wheel drive, could I now fit the GT3 coil overs I have

MisterCorn said:
Drew1209 said:

Not a rumour, it is fact AFAIK.

MC

It's true, the changes between a C2 and C4/GT3 chassis are limited its basically only from the front fire wall forward, the extra support to accommodate the front diff. - There were rumours that the GT3 may have had additional seam welding but these, to my knowledge, were unsubstantiated

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back